Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Circumstances that make carrying without specific trigger cover a problem?

I have been carrying my Kel-Tec PF9 with only the screwed on belt clip so I have no cover over the trigger. I didnt really think of this as a problem until I thought about the logic of carrying a round in the chamber. My kel-tec has a 12 pound very long trigger pull so I may be dumb but it still doesn't seem like a form fitted firm holster is required. However I went with the shirt tucked in and a cover shirt the other day and then could see that while untucking the shirt there existed the possibility that the shirt could pull the trigger on the way up.

It may be hard to describe a situation when a gun is unsafe. I believe carrying a pistol with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull would be unsafe if not in a holster covering the trigger. Do you consider a "smart carry" pouch to be safe trigger cover? Is a 5.11 holster shirt safe trigger cover? What about a mouse gun dropped in the front pocket, safe?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Personally, I prefer all my triggers to be covered. Once the AD has happened it's to late to evaluate it's importance. I like having the zero possibility for a AD/ND, but thats just me. YMMV

GBK

·
Registered
236 Posts
A modern designed holster that covers the trigger is safest. As you said, pulling a tucked in shirt could snag the trigger.

Long or short trigger draw, the possibility is there.

A holster serves more functions too. It keeps trash out of the mechanism. It keeps the gun in position and it covers the outline to prevent "printing."

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Mouse gun dropped in front pocket is unsafe IMHO,there have been way to many instances where peoples guns have discharged and I believe a lot of them are due to either gun not being in a holster,or a flimsy one size fits all holster that the gun fell out of

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main reason I was asking opinions on this is because a user here said that my pf9 clipped in my jeans wasn't safe but I don't see how something like a 1911 with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull in a smart carry is safe?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I used the clipdraw on mine for a short while before i took it off. I prefer holsters that cover the trigger.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I would say that a gun, being pocket carried without a holster, is more likely to be involved in an AD/ND, than one belt carried without a holster. Too many times folks put other stuff in the pocket with the gun and something ends up pulling on the trigger... That said, I wouldn't carry anything without a proper holster, these days...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
but I don't see how something like a 1911 with a 3 pound trigger and a 1/4 inch pull in a smart carry is safe?
A 1911 has external safeties that keep it safer, from AD/ND, than a gun with only internal safeties...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts