Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as a number of you suggested, I need to take a break from reloading, so I am and I knew this was coming, which is why I pressed on with the reloading issue(s). It did pay off, the problem, at least the big problem was the gun. :mad:

This week is one of my trips to my favorite 500 yard range - Fairfield Glade Sportsman's Club.

So here I am at the FFGSC, and after the inconsistent experiences I've had lately with reloads, I'm hoping for the best. :blink: Although, all of the following was shot with factory ammo, IMI 77 gr BTHP match. I caught this on sale for $0.50 / round with free shipping. It is now selling for $0.95 / round. :blink:

And I switched to an AR I built:
Daniel Defense 18" S2W barrel, on a Vltor upper, a Diamondback lower with a Geiselle trigger, a Liberty Triumph suppressor and a Primary Arms Platinum 6-30x56mm ffp with the mil-deka reticle.

This is just an old guy having some fun shooting stuff!

After confirming zero at 95 yards (the 100 yard range is actually 95 yards due to terrain) it was time to reach out. So I dialed in my muzzle velocity for this gun and ammo, and had Strelok Pro ($8 app) calculate the hold for 200 yards. As you can see, the first hits, center dot, were a bit high, which was surprising because Strelok Pro (SP) is usually very close. More about that later, but for 200 yards I dialed down the elevation and got the group on the upper right dot.

Stretching further, next was 300 yards. Again, I had SP calculate the drop and it gave me the scope adjustment. I dialed that in and shot. And again, the shots hit high. Enough of that! I used SP to do a velocity confirmation calculation for the muzzle velocity required for that POI and discovered the velocity was a bit higher than my chrono indicated. I think the real problem was I had SP set for my home elevation and I was almost 1,000 feet higher. Anyway, using the new velocity, I fired three more shots. The elevation was perfect; had a little wind drift - it was a bit windy.

So, with a new velocity it was time to really stretch - 500 yards. At 500 yards, I had set up two paper targets and a 6" dinger. BTW, unless you have an ATV, you have to park at 300 yards and walk down and up hills to the 500 yard. I'll sure be glad when they get the chair lift to the 500 started and finished :tongue:

My first target was actually on Tuesday and looked like this. This was before I had things really dialed in and I hit a bit low and right, still a 0.77 MOA group - that's really pretty good for an old guy!

But then came Wednesday morning and now I have SP, me, and the rifle dialed in. I'm showing group sizes for both 4 and 5 shots. That kinda takes into account the possibility of a shooter or ammo induced outlier:

Then, same day but afternoon - reality check - this is the kind of reality I like. Four of five shots are in or touching the 3-1/2" x 2-1/2" red dot! And the fifth isn't that far away!

But the fun ain't over yet, what about that 6" dinger I mentioned? Well...seven shots, seven hits, 0.65 MOA.

The reward in all this for me, is consistency. It's one thing to go out one day and get that one great group. I've done that, but I've been forced to realize a single great group is essentially meaningless. They're fun to get, but if you can't reproduce them on demand, they are of little value and consequence. I'm not saying I can do as good every trip to the range as I did in these two days, but since this did take place over two days and three different range trips, the consistency is strongly present.

I'm in shooter's heaven - well until I go back to the range with trepidation that I might not can do this again. :ticking: And, speaking of going to the range, it's time!

See you later!

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Hey @Tangle - Did Dave tell you something the rest of us won't learn until next week's quarterly meeting? Talking about the mythical chair lift, of course. :rofl:

Good shooting, as always, and even better patience and persistence. :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey @Tangle - Did Dave tell you something the rest of us won't learn until next week's quarterly meeting? Talking about the mythical chair lift, of course. :rofl:

Good shooting, as always, and even better patience and persistence. :hand10:
No, the chair lift was a Tangle original. I have emailed Dave to advise him of the great idea. But now that I've thought about it more, I think a roller coaster type facility might be a better and faster way to go.

And with regard to the new facilities,

I also advised him how hot those things get in the summer months and suggested a small air conditioner would be nice.

And guess what they were doing this morning while I was at the range trying to concentrate:

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
That new facility was very much needed, and we were told by certain previous board members that they were prohibitively expensive to rent. There is one (or maybe two?) on the pistol range also. When you are not able to walk very far at all, like me, having a facility on the range you are using is a true blessing......even if they do choose to rum their pumper machine while you are trying to shoot! LOL

Reactions: Tangle

·
Super Moderator
19,233 Posts
Tangle, you rock - sub-MOA groups at 500 yards with an itty-bitty 77 gr bullet is impressive!

But I know the joy and elation. Last weekend I shot a 0.130" 3-shot group at 50 yards with a CZ455V in .22 mag. This gun has to date shown less than stellar accuracy and I was considering booting it from the nest, but this performance gave it a reprieve. Yes, it was only 3 shots and the 2 next in that string opened the group up, but I had 2 more 3-shot groups in the 0.25" range with different ammo in the same session. Aaaaahhhhh....

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That new facility was very much needed...When you are not able to walk very far at all, like me, having a facility on the range you are using is a true blessing....
It was for sure. And, at the rifle if you're all alone and need to go, you either have to pack up everything and go, or take a chance that no one will hop the fence and take something while you're gone.

I actually met a member that left his gear out to drive down to the clubhouse, I forget what for, but he said he wasn't gone more than a minute. And while he was gone, somebody drove in and stole his gear. He parked his car by that big tree by the rifle range and when the member drove by the guy took off.

...There is one (or maybe two?) on the pistol range also. ..even if they do choose to rum their pumper machine while you are trying to shoot! LOL
Right on!

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tangle, you rock - sub-MOA groups at 500 yards with an itty-bitty 77 gr bullet is impressive!
Thanks @gasmitty - LOL I thought 77 gr was a big ol bulliet :tongue:

But I know the joy and elation...
Yep - it is all that!

...Last weekend I shot a 0.130" 3-shot group at 50 yards with a CZ455V in .22 mag.
WOW! Now that is impressive!

UOTE=gasmitty;7338745]...This gun has to date shown less than stellar accuracy and I was considering booting it from the nest, but this performance gave it a reprieve.
I've never had much luck with .22 mag, but I've heard of others that seem to get good results.

...Yes, it was only 3 shots and the 2 next in that string opened the group up, but I had 2 more 3-shot groups in the 0.25" range with different ammo in the same session. Aaaaahhhhh....
Man that is impressive! The ammo made the difference???

·
Super Moderator
19,233 Posts
Man that is impressive! The ammo made the difference???
The ammo, more rounds through the gun (still well under 1000 - .22 mag ammo was mighty scarce right after I bought the gun), and me getting more used to the gun and how to hold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts