Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple enough sounding, but I was running into issues with both pockets when trying to decide which pocket I would rather carry my LCP in. I ended up ordering a front pocket holster due to what I considered a problem with carrying in the rear of my Levis... the gun holds my pocket open. My wallet on the other side is pinched looking at top and bottom where it conforms to my butt. The pocket is "sealed" at the top. When trying my LCP out in the rear pocket the grip held my pocket open. Can't have that so decision made, but I noticed that I had a hard time reaching down into my front pocket and extracting the pistol. I'm hoping the holster will solve that problem, but my front pockets aren't so loose and I felt like the monkey trying to get his hand out of the box while holding the banana.
I'm guessing this is one of those issues dealing with body type and the lesser of two evils. Or is this where the IWB comes in, because some people aren't made to carry even a pocket pistol in their pants pockets.

Anyway, I plan on ordering a Crossbreed IWB holster for my Kahr P9 anyway. When sweatshirt weather arrives I may turn that into my everyday gun, but the pocket thing has me thinking. From what I've read it looks like the front pocket has more users, so I guess I need to develop technique. Just thought I'd say something...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Its tough sometimes to match up style of clothing with preferred carry style.

I guess thats why we have a box-o-holsters.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Its tough sometimes to match up style of clothing with preferred carry style.

I guess thats why we have a box-o-holsters.
Oh man, do I know what you're talking about there. I may have my wife's shoe collection beat. :scruntiny:

Front pocket (strong side) is the way for me when pocket carrying. I don't feel comfortable with a gun in my back pocket.

·
Registered
829 Posts
strong side front, for me, more natural if I needed it! If things are questionable I can have my hand on it and I am in a nonthreatening posture.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without benefit of either holster to play around with, it seemed that the rear pocket was more like what I was taught in a couple handgun course back in the eighties using a belt holster (OWB is it?). The drawing motion was similar, but it just wasn't working for me in the concealed department if my shirt road up. And who want to sit on a gun in a hard chair (lol)?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
You have hit on one of the reasons I gave up wearing jeans. They are not pocket carry friendly. I don't have a pair any more. I only wore them for home and casual, so I went to Propper tac pants.

·
Registered
587 Posts
A good friend of mine developed serious back problems that were eventually traced back to carrying a thick wallet in his back pocket and sitting on it all day. Messed up his spine to sit at a slight angle for years.

Because of that, I only pocket carry if my front pocket is big enough.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Never could get used to carrying in the back pocket.... front pocket only...

·
Registered
132 Posts
A friend who I know who pocket-carries now-and-then, and he strongly favors dress pants, like Dockers, to prevent the problem you speak of. Choose pants or shorts that has pockets that allow easy access to and removal of your firearm.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
The fat wallet and spine alignments holds some truth...:yup:

I now carry a thin money-clip with four pieces of ID/CC and a few $$.

I have never carried a weapon in my back pocket, and if I do pocket carry it's only in the front pocket.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
I 90% of the time it is back pocket and 10% in front pocket for my P3AT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts