Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Seecamp pistols are excellent in the pocket. Some will say that the calibers that are available for the seecamp are too underpowered...but that is for another thread to discuss at length.

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
A pocket gun MUST be the only thing in your pocket. It MUST be in a holster - not only for safety, but also to keep it from flipping upside down. When you go to grab it, it needs to be in the proper position.

Having used a PM9 in the past, I find it a bit on the heavy side for pocket carry. The Ruger LCP (a .380 pistol) is lighter. While it is a .380 and not a 9mm, it will get the job done.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I use this...http://www.bhlstore.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=947, for front pocket carry. Unless you have HUGE front pockets, you literally have to pry this out of your pocket when you want it out. It is perfect for my P232 but can be made for any "pocket" gun. Because it has the rough leather out, it tends to stick and stay put inside the waist too. I also have a Super-Fly pocket holster for my S&W pre-36, but use the Black Hills more often.
Cargo shorts/pants are almost a must for really comfortable front pocket carry.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Smith & Wesson Airweight J-frame 38+P is the ultimate pocket gun and can me safely carried without a holster. The round profile blends in with the curves of the body. I carry a 442 in that manner and it's idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smith & Wesson Airweight J-frame 38+P is the ultimate pocket gun and can me safely carried without a holster. The round profile blends in with the curves of the body. I carry a 442 in that manner and it's idea.
Which pocket do you carry that 442. I have one too, and I carry it in a motorcycle concealment vest on the left side. I carry a Taurus PT738 on the right side.

When I get the 1911, I'm going to carry the PT738 in that camera case that came with the gun, which is designed to be carried on the belt outside. I'll carry the 1911 on the right side of the vest, where the PT 738 was carried.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
The trick is to go FLAT and LIGHT.
Yes, indeed.
I have a Sig 238 that I think is perfect. A bit smaller is the Ruger LCP. Smaller yet is the very pricey Seecamp.
I don't like the Desantis nemesis because it doesn't cover the safety on my 238.

All those who pocket carry anything larger.........I don't know how you do it. I love my Kahr PM-9, but pocket? No thanks.
Here's the other problem. Everything you used to carry in that pocket will now have to go in your other pocket. It's not a perfect solution.

OBTW: Sig's web site claims the thickness of the P-238 is 1.1". It's not. It's about .75" I have no idea where they got the figure they post. I measured it.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
About any of the Kel-tecs will do the job...the LCP or the Kahr PM9 or p380 would be wonderful options. Definitely get a pocket holster. They can be had cheap and make it much easier.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd look in to the Kel-Tec P-32. It's smaller than the 380 version. Some may not like the 32acp round, but loaded with FMJ, it's not too much different than 380. At the time, 380 was difficult to find so I went with 32acp.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I appreciate all the thoughts. Now if I can only decipher what was said, I'll be in business. All the acronyms I'm not familar with can throw a newby off. If I were to carry front pocket withpot a holsier; the gun would be the ONLY thing in the pocket...no keys to cause problems. I'm probably try to make the PPK wwork. The PPS, being a singlre stack 9, might work with the right holster. So far I have not located a decent front pocket holster for the PPS. Please, kepe the suggestions coming alone with sites I can check out..THANKS
Just Google the acronyms; you'll find the guns.

Or you could go to a guns shop with a good selection and try some guns out. Slip them in your pocket, see what they feel like.

I carry an SP101 (a small, 5 shot revolver) in my front pocket. I buy L.L. Bean pants which have generously deep pockets and the gun conceals just fine.

A holster for pocket-carry is a must. It protects the gun from dust and lint, it protects your pants from oil, etc., it protects you from an accidental discharge, and it keeps the gun in the ready position (barrel down, grip up) in your pocket.

·
Banned
3,850 Posts
I pocket carry a bug only, I used to pocket carry a primary until I started practicing getting off the x and drawing my weapon. Good luck with that. If your leg joint is compressed from movement it isn't coming out easy and you aren't getting a good handle on it. I have practiced drawing first then moving, but the hesitation I am seeing on video worries me. In force on force, forget it. Like I said, I used to pocket carry, now I only carry a bug there. Just my observations from introducing dynamic movement into the self defense scenario.

·
Registered
367 Posts
well i have a g26 and pocket carrying can be heavy! yes indeed, and its hard to draw from my jean pocket because of the pocket hole size.

When i walk for long periods of time, i have my hand in my pocket and on my gun holding it, so its not moving around bouncing off my thigh. thats just a tip

·
Registered
598 Posts
I front pocket carry my S&W 642 in a Desantis Superfly

·
Registered
192 Posts
I appreciate all the thoughts. Now if I can only decipher what was said, I'll be in business. All the acronyms I'm not familar with can throw a newby off. If I were to carry front pocket withpot a holsier; the gun would be the ONLY thing in the pocket...no keys to cause problems. I'm probably try to make the PPK wwork. The PPS, being a singlre stack 9, might work with the right holster. So far I have not located a decent front pocket holster for the PPS. Please, kepe the suggestions coming alone with sites I can check out..THANKS
For the price I would try one of the DeSantis holsters. I own two Nemesis holsters and have been very please with them. The gun comes out and the holster stays in the pocket.

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=3233

·
Registered
155 Posts
On a 6 day roadtrip from Cincinnati, OH to Spokane, WA I pocket carried my Kahr CW9 in a DeSantis Nemesis in my right front. All 6 days I was in cargo shorts (non-tactical just some from Kohl's). Worked out just fine and was comfy...after the 2nd or 3rd day I didn't notice it at all other than the time I reached for it because some guy was coming up to me while I was filling the gas (dude had no idea and it ended up being nothing more than a guy asking for directions).

Since then I have purchased a Ruger LCP and another Nemesis for the days that I have to wear slacks that print the Kahr.

Oh and I am also a large but not super-obese guy...well possibly obese or close to it (5'7" @ 275 but have some muscle).

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I have a nemisis for my Kel Tec p11, but it will only work with cargo pockets, and even then, it seems bulky.
I just most of the time use the belt clip for it, or carry my S&W M&P9c in its IWB holster.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Which pocket do you carry that 442. I have one too, and I carry it in a motorcycle concealment vest on the left side. I carry a Taurus PT738 on the right side.

When I get the 1911, I'm going to carry the PT738 in that camera case that came with the gun, which is designed to be carried on the belt outside. I'll carry the 1911 on the right side of the vest, where the PT 738 was carried.
When carrying as my only handgun, I carry it in my front right pants (usually shorts) pocket. I sometimes carry a SP101 .357 mag IWB right (strong) side or a Springfield XD40sc IWB right side and the 442 in my front left pants pocket. Works out great either way.

·
Registered
798 Posts
S&W 642CT with Desantis Superfly right front pocket in summertime... speed strips in right rear pocket. I carry with jean shorts and tshirt, and nobody has ever noticed, not even my friends who know i carry. Bunker

21 - 40 of 56 Posts