Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any members ever checker a Front Strap as a DIY project?

Who makes the front strap checkering file guide/jig?
Anybody know?
Are they still being made.
Any info appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'd love to try QK but initially not on a gun!!

I'd need to feel super confident to do it for real - love the look tho of 1st class chequering, that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Nope....and I'd be too nervous to ever try it....I'd be scared to ruin my gun.

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Think I'm Going To Do It

Don't know if I should attempt it without a checkering jig though.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well my only diy checkering is limited to friction tape lol , that being said i really dont see why you could not fabricate a jig/guide from conduit or other light tubeing

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
QK: Brownells has everything you need. (But I'll bet you knew that)!:smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can buy a jig from Brownell's web sight.

·
Super Moderator
13,056 Posts
QK,

I've checkered two front straps on two of my 1911s. Got the files from Brownell's. You need some way to get the intial light cuts straight - I used a small clamp-on guide I made.

You have to have something to stop all the serations at the same place near the trigger guard. The really hard thing for me was getting the cross cuts even. I.E. stopping at the same point all up and down the slide.

Go very slowly, be patient, it takes more time to cut to the proper and even depth than you'd think. And it was "nerve racking" for me; first time I'd held my breath for over an hour.

One tip I learned from Wilson Combat's Gunsmithing video is to start the grooves with the very end of the file. I.e. hold the file at an angle so that only the teeth on the end of the file are engaging metal. Cut very light grooves and as they begin to form you can gradually lay the file flatter. There's a little "feel" to it, but it's pretty obvious when you're doing it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
In my opinion, the time you go through the trouble and mess up a good pistol, I would just have a pro do it. This is kinda like you fix the car or add 50.00 to what you were going to pay for the parts yourself and let somebody else do it. Just my 2cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts