Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster - I've been reading for about a week now and have to say the information I've found here is priceless.

I am thinking about applying for a CCW permit, but I'm not sure if my current handgun is suitable for concealed carry. It is a .45 Springfield GI 1911, full size. Experimenting, I picked up a Fobus OWB holster and while the weight does not bother me, the gun prints very badly when wearing a t-shirt. Some folks have told me that a full size 1911 is not a suitable carry weapon due to its size and need to be carried C&L, and that I should look at other options. I don't have any problem with this as I have only been shooting seriously for a couple of months, but I really do like the 1911.

Does anyone have experience on this? Also, for anyone who may carry a full size 1911 on a daily basis, what is a comfortable and concealable setup?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Joe

·
Administrator
143,819 Posts
Fobus

Wrong Holster. I really Do Not Like Fobus Holsters AT ALL.
They are OK for open carry...I guess.
They usually print VERY BADLY because they just do not pull in close enough.
On the plus side they are not super expensive so you won't feel too bad when you pitch it into the trash can. :rolleyes:

Your holster is your problem and not your firearm.

And...please don't just think about getting your license to carry...go and get it. You will be so glad that you made the decision to carry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i carry a SW1911SC all the time and the fact that it's C&L is not a problem for me. and since a 1911 is thin i have no problem concealing it in a IWB holster under a t-shirt.

·
Administrator
143,819 Posts
Shop around & look at

Del Fatti - Gary Brommeland - Alessi - Sparks - Larsen
Any holsters by any of the above makers will work better for you.

Go to Matt Del Fatti Leather Site & look through his Gallery Of Holsters.
Click around on his site & try to decide what type of holster will work out best for you. It's a very informative site. You can determine the type of rake you'll want or need. Also click on "Things To Consider...."
Here is the link to Matts Site.
CLICK HERE TO SEE HOLSTERS THAT WILL MAKE YOU CRY ~ THEY ARE SO GREAT!

CLICK HERE FOR TOTALLY AMAZING GARY BROMMELAND HOLSTERS

CLICK HERE FOR AWESOME FUNCTIONAL BEAUTIFUL LEATHER

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Five points I'd like to make:

1. Get your permit and take it seriously. You aren't magically going to become a mall ninja over night but getting my carry permit is one of the best things I ever did for myself. It honestly has made me a better person in the process. I had to go from casual plinker to someone who spends time practicing, trying new things, and learning how to better use a modern firearm and I'm still not happy with my own ability. Take it one step at time.

2. The gun you are considering is indeed suitable for the task. It is of sufficient caliber and it is a quality firearm that can be entrusted with actual combat. Many, many people carry a very similar firearm.

3. The way you plan to carry makes a huge difference. Everyone I've encountered that successfully CCW's such a gun uses a custom made holster in OWB strong side carry. If you don't think you could carry this way most of the time, then maybe you should look at other options.

4. What you like to horde, shoot, and crank away with may not necessarily be what you like to carry. I carry two guns I don't "like" very much at all and if I were in a different situation I'd carry something totally different. I tried real hard to adapt my favorite firing platform to my CCW needs and it just wasn't within reason to do so.

5. I too don't relish the idea of C&L. After considering other things I'm afraid of however I discovered that actually doing what I'm afraid of has cured my fears in the past. What I've done is I've started getting used to a single action pistol which actually does rest a cocked action on a loaded chamber, but it doesn't depend on an external safety. I've got another gun with an external safety I'm starting to get used to again. Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to use both features at once.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
For the most part I agree with QKShooter. I have a Fobus for my 1911(Colt 5") but I only use it for working or ATVing around the hunting club and we don't care who knows that we carry up there. They are cheep. My weapon fits snug in it. They are impervious to the elements.They are sweat proof. And------ they print like a SOB !! You have a heck of alot of options for your 1911. I would reccommend that you take your time,find a carry system that you like,and plan to spend $50-$150 on it. Remember the carry system could save, or cost you, your life. Their are tons of 1911 guys and gals here, so you will recieve tons of reccomendations. Good Luck.----------

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome. I think what you can carry successfully depends on a lot of factors: your size and shape, your preferred carry rig, your preferred weapon, your choice of clothing, where you are going to carry, why, etc.

I am 6'6", 240 lbs. Not what I would call an athlete, but not in bad shape, either. I carry a SIG P226ST (a full-size service pistol, wider than your average 1911) with no problem, and have never had a problem.

Your problems printing may only indicate that the Fobus OWB holster is not an optimal choice for your style of dress. You might do better with a tuckable IWB. Or you might do better not trying to conceal your OWB under a T-shirt.

People successfully carry full-size service pistols concealed, everyday. People successfully carry 1911's cocked and locked, everyday, and have for decades. Your carry weapon is a tool for self-defense. As with any tool, you must practice with it to become proficient. You should choose the best tool for the job, the one that works best for you, and use it well. Pick what you shoot best. If that is a 1911, great. Learn how to use it responsibly and expertly.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I occasionally carry the same gun in a Tucker Gunleather IWB concealable holster. I say occasionally because the weight does get to me after carrying all day long. It can be done however and Tucker has a great holster for that gun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What Euc and QK said.

If you're not comfortable with C&L then buy something else or get some training/practise till you are. Lots of options, but don't take what other people tell you as the truth, carrying concealed is a very personal thing, and it will take you some time to find out what works best for you.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I worked today.

In a place where people bump into each other, and carried two guns. One a Commander (3/4" shorter than a GM) could have been a GM, carried in a Sparks summer special [IWB], and a 642 in a Null pocket hoster. Wore shorts and extra large golf shirt. I am 6' and 165Lbs.

When I left work, put on third gun, S&W 696 carried cross draw OWB in a Hume JIT.
Went direct to local hospitol to help help certify staff people in CPR.

This is a no carry place, but no one ever has tumbled to my carry guns. Hospitol is guarded by unarmed rent a cops. Really makes one feel secure
:( .

Pretty simple really, learn to dress around the gun. Learn your gun. Buy good holsters.
Good belts.

Good luck, and remember, carrying a gun is work, but the peace of mind is well worth it to me.

·
Administrator
143,819 Posts
Desantis ~ Galco ~ SafariLand & Others

All have good holsters.
I shoulder carried in a Galco for a long time until I discovered Alessi. :tongue:
TUCKER holsters are great.

My bone to pick is really with Fobus.
My personal opinion is that they are awful for concealed carry.
Under a winter coat maybe...or under a long heavy "Shoot Me First" vest ~ Fobus would be OK but, I still would not want one.

As you all might already know...I am HIGHLY attracted to the "Work Of Leather Art" Holsters crafted by the Supreme Makers. :biggrin:

HorseShoe leather is great. Heck there are lots of fantastic makers.

A VERY GOOD ADDITIONAL REASON to buy from Brommeland, Larsen & DEL FATTI is that they are forum members who just also happen to make the very best holsters. THAT should tell you something about our forum too! :biggrin:

A great holster and (ALSO IMPORTANT) a great gun belt are worth every penny that you'll spend on them.

·
Registered
998 Posts
As others have said, the 1911 is just fine as a carry gun. You just need to find the right holster for you. The good news is that there are a tremendous amount of holster makers out there for the 1911 and many styles from which to choose.

The list above are some of the finest, and several of those listed are members of this forum, and all are very good about answering questions.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Bud White said:
I carry aeither a 1911 5" springer loaded or a smith 1911sc 4 1/4" in a cozy partner from desantis i highly recommend it
Ditto on what Bud has said. I also carry a Combat Commander, and various other types of handguns. What is most important is the type of holster you're going to use with the weapon. There are so many quality holsters out there, that you can rationally make a good choice. Fobus holsters are ok, BUT they're not known for hiding your shootin irons. :biggrin:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Joe/OH,

Welcome, sir! You will find a bunch of knowledgeable and courteous folks here.

I used to carry a Commander-size 1911. I think it is an excellent carry gun, provided that you are competent with it, as you must be with any carry weapon. As has been mentioned, a quality belt and holster makes a world of difference. Don't skimp in this area. I used a Milt Sparks HR-LTD, but there are many quality choices available.

Welcome to the forum, and to the band of responsible, armed citizens. Be safe.

SSKC

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Thanks for all of the great information. I'm really surprised to see so many folks that have or do carry a 1911. I understand that single action automatics are not for the unitiated, and I am very diligently trying to do it justice. I'm really somewhat new to handguns, but I have been regularly practicing at my Dad's farm (who is tickled to finally see his son come around). For that reason I may buy a DA/SA automatic or even a revolver until I have a few more years with the 'ol 1911 before I consider carrying it. And just to clarify, I am personally am not worried about C&L as I understand this was how the gun was designed to be carried. However, many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup, and that makes me doubt its inherent safety.

I understand now that Fobus is a horrible choice - at least for Concealed carry. Once again - thank you for opening my eyes. I'll continue to look at the above makers to see what seems to fit best. Too bad there is no way to 'try before you buy' these things as I'm not really sure what will or won't work. (And they definately aren't as cheap as the Fobus to experiment with!)

As for the encouragement to get my CCW - I appreciate that. Actually I am commited at this point - it is just a matter of finding a class and signing up. My wife is also very commited (she'll be taking the class with me) and I don't think she would let me off the hook even if I wanted to. :D Also on the todo list is to join the NRA and/or the Second Amendmant Foundation.

Now, off to convince the wife that we need more guns. :tongue:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Joe.. BTW.welcome to the Forum....glad to see you're jumping in and getting your feet wet. Check out the pics of the holsters the guys, AND Ladies, have shown you on here. LOTS of good info, and the Folks here are good people to hang with. One word of advice is to NEVER get rid of your leather. You never know when you'll find another gun you happened to trade in, for one you can't do without, and especially if it fits the holster you already have for it. :biggrin: been there, done it plenty of times LOL... :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
22,133 Posts
Joe,

You have received some excellent advice here and I'll only add this, I've carried a full size 1911 (and Officers ACP & Commanders) for nearly 25yrs on a CCW, there is NO, ONE perfect holster. You will have a drawer full in time, there are many cases were one style may not fit the particular circumstances. Restating what has been said before, buy quality the first time, when it's comes to your life, cheap is too expensive.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Just about all I carry is a 5" 1911. Holster is everything in concealing a 1911, but, personally, I find it to the easiest to hide of any full size gun because of the thin flat profile. I have a Brommeland MaxCon IV for IWB and an Andrews Hybrid OWB. Both conceal VERY well. And remember, the secret to concealing a 1911 is getting the proper cant in the position of the gun.

·
Registered
104 Posts
joe/OH said:
For that reason I may buy a DA/SA automatic or even a revolver until I have a few more years with the 'ol 1911 before I consider carrying it. And just to clarify, I am personally am not worried about C&L as I understand this was how the gun was designed to be carried. However, many people more experienced that I have expressed concern with this setup, and that makes me doubt its inherent safety.
Why not just practice, practice, and practice some more with your 1911 until everything becomes second nature?

Why do you doubt its safety? What exactly is the concern these people have?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts