Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite honestly, I have never thought about getting a 9mm 1911 so I never looked into them. Then my local GS displayed a full sized Colt 1911 in 9mm. I made the mistake of asking to see it so I could handle it, fondle it, and pretty much fall in love with it. OK, now that I am drooling over this gun, before I gather my trade bait and some cash, can somebody give me a critique on a full sized 1911 in 9mm. I need to read both the good and the bad (can there be bad in a Colt 1911?). Send me your thoughts on a 9mm full sized 1911, before I do something I might regret.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Personally I don't see what a 1911 does for me that HK doesn't, but that's totally me and not a knock on 1911's. However if I was going to go down that rabbit hole look at the EDC X9 by Wilson Combat. Basically they designed a 1911 around the 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I don't really understand the desire for 9mm 1911s, especially in Government sized ones. Forget the sacrilegious nature of 9mm in a weapon designed for .45, I don't understand the desire to "downgrade" in power. Capacity really doesn't even explain it because you're gaining what, 2 rounds in a full sized version usually? These guns aren't exactly punishing in .45 either, so recoil isn't the best explanation. I guess it's just a thing now because hey, it exists and we can.

As far as your particular gun, I say get it if you really want it. You picked a good brand for certain, so as long as it functions great and you like it, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I just bought a Colt LW Commander in 9mm. Ran 150 rounds through it and not a hiccup. I'm sure the Government will run the same. I would check internet prices then check LGS. I bought mine at the last gun show for below internet prices by $ 75.00 out the door.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The 9mm-Luger is more cost effective as opposed to the 45ACP in regards to the cost of commercial and reloaded ammunition. Then there is the reduced recoil impulse which I've noticed mentioned by those whom have obtained 1911 series pistol in 9mm-Luger.

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Quite honestly, I have never thought about getting a 9mm 1911 so I never looked into them. Then my local GS displayed a full sized Colt 1911 in 9mm. I made the mistake of asking to see it so I could handle it, fondle it, and pretty much fall in love with it. OK, now that I am drooling over this gun, before I gather my trade bait and some cash, can somebody give me a critique on a full sized 1911 in 9mm. I need to read both the good and the bad (can there be bad in a Colt 1911?). Send me your thoughts on a 9mm full sized 1911, before I do something I might regret.
If you like it, go for it, Colt's been making them in 9mm a long time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
a 1911 in .38 super is interesting...
a Browning P-35 in 9mm is interesting
a 1911 in 9mm...meh!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
1911 in 9mm is like buying a Ferrari with a Toyota 4 cyl engine in it.........JB made it .45 for a reason. .........JMHO :yup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
1911 in 9mm is like buying a Ferrari with a Toyota 4 cyl engine in it.........JB made it .45 for a reason. .........JMHO
The 9mm has come a long way and some will argue ballistically speaking it outperforms the .45acp but with that said my 1911's are all .45acp or 10mm I would be interested in a 38 super before the 9mm in the 1911 platform but my edc is a 9mm just because I can get back on target faster and carry more ammo at less weight.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
The 9mm has improved in ballistics because it had to. The problem is, all the other calibers have too. In velocity, sure the 9 beats the 45. But at the end of the day, the 45 hole is a 45 hole and the 9 is a 9. Going back to the OP though, if I were looking at a 9mm 1911 and wanted it bad enough, I'd get that Colt. Don't forget though that Springfield makes exceptional versions of their own and, in a few models, costs less. All in all, as was said, it comes down to what you want, not what we think should or shouldn't be in a 1911 or caliber debates.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
Different strokes for different folks! I happen to be one of the weird types who also likes AR's in the 9mm flavor! (Don't worry I also have 5.56 versions!) So why not enjoy a Colt 1911 in 9mm! :image035: Carry-on.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I only have two 1911, both are Springfield and both are 9mm. Because.... I like The quality and the price point of Springfield... and I am stock up on 9mm ... zippo on 45... never have 'em, no plan to add 'em neither.

9mm floats my boat. And its been great fun shooting my Springfield ROs.

·
Banned
894 Posts
I bought my Ruger 9mm because i like to shoot, and 9mm is enough cheaper than .45 to make a difference. Studies seem to show the accuracy is more important than size in most common pistol ammo, and that means practice. If you don't like 9mm 1911, don't buy one. I like mine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts