Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this time when most civilians who carry concealed are rushing toward the smallest, lightest options that are on the market, I think a good number of us much prefer, and do carry, full-size pistols.

So... let's show what we prefer to carry, talk about why we make that choice, and show some hardware!

I choose to carry a full-size M&P40 or P320 Full Size 40. I like these platforms because they are exceptionally easy to control, soft-shooting and a real pleasure to practice with, they hold a relatively high capacity, are chambered in a relatively hard hitting caliber, and they are generally very easy to be accurate with due to the longer sighting radius. I choose .40S&W because it has higher capacity than .45auto and launches a heavier caliber than 9mm. That's why I love them.

I wear shorts and a Duluth t-shirt most of the year around here in Arizona and with my lifestyle, I find it easy to carry and conceal a full-size pistol. Of course, I feel the pistol on my hip, but I don't mind the size nor the weight and I know that if I NEEDED to use the pistol, it would be the pistol I would want in my hand at such a time.

First up is the P320 Full Size 40, 4.7" barrel, which holds 14+1=15 rounds of my carry load, which is either Ranger Bonded 180 gr. or Gold Dot 180 gr.

10 yard target, off-hand, one magazine. I have a hard time shooting small pistols this well.

How I carry it - High Noon Bare Asset holster.

And the M&P40, 4.25" barrel, which holds 15+1=16 rounds of my choice: 180 gr. Ranger or Gold Dot

Carried in a High Noon Bare Asset holster

What full-size pistol is usually in your holster?

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
No pics ..But at times I have carried a DE 44 mag or a full size org 1911a1 mill issue

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics ..But at times I have carried a DE 44 mag or a full size org 1911a1 mill issue
WR... I've never had a DE, but I have carried a 1911 Government model at times - wonderful pistol.

The largest pistols I have carried concealed are a Glock 21SF and an STI Edge. They are not a lot more to carry than the M&P40 or the P320 full size that I carry usually.

G21SF - these are fairly heavy guns, but with a good holster and a proper gun belt - not that big a deal, really

I removed the mag well on the Edge, as I don't tend to want them on carry guns. I also installed an arched MSH on the Edge.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
WR... I've never had a DE, but I have carried a 1911 Government model at times - wonderful pistol.
Yeah mind is a nice one ..I need to see if I have pics ..It saw action I think issued in 1944 ... Got it for a good price

Frankly I mostly carry seal clubs full size guns ..I OWB a lot of so works for me ..For a long time I carried a near 3 pound 92fs with a 20 round stick ..If all else failed I would club them

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
9,893 Posts

Nelson leather

Sig 220 9mm full size in Nelson

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you guys on the 1911 Government models. Colt Series 70 Government, pretty dang easy to carry, if you have a mind to.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Does a Glock 19/23 size count? I'm sure it is going to be asked.
I've carried a Glock 21, 22, (current choices) and Glock 19/23.

In before anyone hijacks the thread rationalizing pocket pistols as a primary. :danceban:

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
When I go full size it's usually my P227 or 226 Elite (no pic) in either a White Hat hybrid, or the Wrangler from Nelson Holsters.

IMG_0301.jpg

Sometimes my 92 Inox...

IMG_0009.jpg

·
Registered
714 Posts
How about a "compact" gun with full size capacity? I carry a G19. I have tried a bunch of smaller, lighter, & slimmer guns but none felt right. Nor could I shoot them quite as well and as easy as the G19. For me it is the perfect balance of capacity, shoot-ability, & size/weight in a carry gun.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
I like carrying K-Frame Smith & Wessons and full sized Colt Government Models. any time I can get away with it, which is often. I really prefer using all-steel guns.

4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel in a Bell Charter Oak Mae West IWB holster. The 4-inch model of this holster is not cataloged so you gotta ask. Lefty'll make 'em up for you.

Heh! One can be "tough enough" to wear a pink shirt when so heeled.

Do carry 1911 type guns again more than I did for several years. This is a Colt Government Model .45 in a custom IWB holster received as a gift. It's particularly fine for daily wear comfort and the pistol is easily drawn.

It's only had three range sessions since I've had it, but this Colt Delta Elite hasn't given any indication that it shouldn't be considered for carry duty. I've gotten in the habit of carrying it lately, especially on trips out of town. The Delta Elite in a Brill holster which won't see much use if at all. This was a stunt. Carried in the holster only once to town one morning ... just to get a feel for it.

Right target is 10mm from 10 yards. Left target is two magazines-full from a CZ 75 BD also from 10 yards with another 10mm group fired at bottom of bull.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Now that the temps are dropping my shoulder rigs can go back into the rotation. So that means my 9E and Alaskan will start getting back in the mix.

Reactions: DHart

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
How about a "compact" gun with full size capacity?
Guilty as charged.

H&K USP Compact.

20160409_191146.jpg

Or sometimes I'll carry that USP's younger cousin - a P2000 LEM with a Surefire XC1 on it.

20160813_184530.jpg

I will also agree that there are some times where I choose to carry something that is a little bit larger. Glock 20 with an Inforce APL. I am shocked at how easily that setup disappears IWB with a good holster.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I carried my full size SP-01, with a flush 16rd mag, fairly often a couple years ago. However, the smaller CZ 75 Compact is really just a handier, better overall size package. It's in that magic "G19-esque" size category. I think full size SP-01's and 75's alike excel more as home defense, range and competition guns than carry guns.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts