Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a gun that you would expect to see on a personal defense forum. I commented in a recent thread that I had just bought a new (Taurus owned) Rossi 92 in .38/.357 with 16" barrel. I also stated that it had been flawless with a LOT of rounds through it, over the past 3 months. What I did not post is that I have become quite taken with this little rifle. This little gem handles and shoots like a dream.

I really struggled for a while with the thought of buying another, anything, associated with Taurus. I had also read the many reviews stating that they were a roll of the dice...even before Taurus came on the scene. But, according to my research, most of the problems were easily resolved and most turned out to be very satisfactory. Well, I bit the bullet and bought this one. Now, the wood is nothing to write home about...but I did not buy it for the wood. I have put 4 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-oil on the wood and it made a tremendous difference in the look and feel of the gun. The metal work looks spot on...and I have had not a single feed or cycling issue, at this point. I am a bullet caster...cast bullets are about the only thing that I shoot in my revolvers, single shots and lever guns. I don't shoot .38spec in it, but it will feed them. I, also, have long since moved away from shooting SWC's in my revolvers...so I have not tried them for feed and cycling. It feeds all of flatnose bullets that I shoot, from 125gr through 180gr...and it shoots all of them, lights out. A very accurate little iron sighted gun. The sights are not great...but, they work for me.

Now, for the load I was talking about in the title. I have Lyman 75gr full wadcutter mold that I use a little...makes for decent plinking and pest bullets. I had some of them loaded in .357 brass, same rounds that I shoot occasionally in the revolver...but they shoot low in the revolvers, so I don't really shoot them much. So, I got the bright idea to give them a go in the Rossi. To my surprise, it DRILLS these things, just like it does everything else that I have put in it. And, the great part of this...very easy on the lead supply. I have not chrono'd them out of the rifle, yet...but, I would guess that they will be in the neighborhood of 1400fps...making them good for all manner of vermin out to at least 50yds...lighter bullets lose velocity quicker than the heavier bullets. In the next couple of days, I will run some through the chrono to see what they are doing.

So, bottom line...this has just about supplanted all of my other rifles for practicality in stomping around in the woods and just plain fun. Matter of fact, I will do my best to get a deer with it, come deer season. If you have been giving thought to one of these, I would suggest that you expedite the purchase, I don't think that you will be disappointed.JMO

20160726_130505.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have the Rossi 92 and find this thing the most fun at the range. I'm in awe of its accuracy with iron sights shooting both 357 and 38 Spl loads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts