Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went and re-qualified the other day after just having gotten my new High Noon Side Guard in the mail a couple days before. The holster was really stiff and I was having a hard time drawing. Needless to say I passed and everything was great. Anyway, I went home that night and emptied my gun and practiced my draw for a few minutes to try and loosen the holster up a bit. When I finished I put the gun away and went to bed. The next morning strapped on the holster and went to work. Got through about half the day when I realized I had not reloaded the gun and had left the magazine at home. My holster and gun spent the rest of the day locked up in the office all alone, and I felt naked. :embarassed:

I have to say I am really impressed with the High Noon holster thus far, and since this happened it has loosened up significantly. I did order it rush because I am incredibly impatient, and it got to me before I even thought to check to see if I had received a shipping notice. Great service and the holster still had that freshly lacquered smell!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Glad all worked well for you. Now for a similar personal experience.

I was working in the yard many years ago and the daughter (about 7 yrs old then) brought in some neighborhoold children. The wife went to my sidearm and unloaded it to keep anyone from accidently getting hurt. Why she did not just put it away I still do not know. I went to work the next day and about half way into the day, she called to say I did not have my gun loaded. This was back in the day of the revolver. Good thing I did not have to use it.

Reactions: msgt/ret and Snub44

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Great choice for a holster...High Noon = Quality!:yup:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Was clearing my gun the other day and didn't have a round chambered. Cleaned it earlier & failed to properly prepare my weapon. Another case of the stats being in my favor.

·
Registered
42,130 Posts
Everyone who hasn't felt like an ass over something please stay put. . . . Everone else can leave. :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Got through about half the day when I realized I had not reloaded the gun and had left the magazine at home. My holster and gun spent the rest of the day locked up in the office all alone, and I felt naked. :embarassed:
IMO, it's worth carrying anyway, in such a situation. The "element of surprise" being what it is, having the appearance of having a loaded weapon is far more surprising in a deadly encounter than merely grabbing thin air. Might well alter the outcome, having it, being seen to have it, and being seen to be prepared to use it. (After all, not all ugly encounters needing a firearm to defend require firing.) Something to think about, if ever the gun's found to be minus the magazines.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...you'll fit right in here...we're all extremely hoomin'...

...left the station with my latest rookie after putting up a guest in the "hotel"...got about a mile away and realized I hadn't picked up my holster gun from the lockbox...my rookie thought it was a hoot till I peeled back my coat and showed him my .45...but it was still embarrassing...

...your story makes the case for extra mags...and a box of extra ammo under the seat...and a back-up gun...

...welcome and thanks for being real...

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
your story makes the case for extra mags.
One of the good reasons, absolutely. But then, if a person's checking to confirm the gun+mag+spares are there, the original mag wouldn't be missed.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
All good examples of the need for a VCI.

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
After reading this I think I will load up a spare mag to keep in the truck.

Reactions: Snub44

·
Super Moderator
18,175 Posts
VCI ??

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Press check - every single time you strap it on - no variation.

Everyone does dumb things from time to time. Live and learn.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I swear, people make these up on the spur of the moment. Visual Condition Inspection?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
There are numerous threads on here about how to loosen up a new holster,using either a baggie or wax paper wrap the gun in one or two layers and reholster leaving the wrapped gun in the holster for several hours,or even overnight,it will stretch the leather just enough to allow good retention but allow a smooth draw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of your stories and kind words. I usually do carry an extra clip in the car, had to use that for my requal, so that was in my gear bag which was also sitting at home.:shot: I am not sure carrying an empty gun is really the best idea, I always have looked at it as a bit of a liability. I will definitely be checking from here on out on a daly basis before I leave the house. Thanks Duk for the thread suggestion, I'll check that out. It should be 85 here today, so I should ad a little swear to the mix that will undoubtedly loosen it up a bit too.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...my wife has never touched my guns...but I still press check it and check the revolvers...keep your mind on your business and you'll never get those nasty surprises like clicking sounds when you were hoping for a bang...
Press check - every single time you strap it on - no variation.

Everyone does dumb things from time to time. Live and learn.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Okay I call that a do-over. Without the weight of the fully loaded mag, the holster can't be properly evaluated..:embarassed:

:kidding:

Seriously though. Very glad you did not need the firearm during that time period. I wouldn't call it a azz move at all, but I would chalk it up to poor weapons check when getting geared up.:wink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
"That holster is so great, it even makes the gun feel lighter !"

Been there. Went out on a Saturday last summer with no mag in the Ed Brown... At least I still had one in the chamber (red face).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Thanks for all of your stories and kind words. I usually do carry an extra clip in the car, had to use that for my requal, so that was in my gear bag which was also sitting at home.:shot: I am not sure carrying an empty gun is really the best idea, I always have looked at it as a bit of a liability. I will definitely be checking from here on out on a daly basis before I leave the house. Thanks Duk for the thread suggestion, I'll check that out. It should be 85 here today, so I should ad a little swear to the mix that will undoubtedly loosen it up a bit too.
OUCH--85!! (it was 08 here this morning)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts