Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out front weed whacking OC as usual. Mind you this is private property (Since I rent)... Our townhouse is in town along a semi-busy side road and a decently busy sidewalk. We have a small patch of grass and a flower bed that I maintain per the lease. Well I'm there working minding my own business when a lady came up on the side walk. I nodded and she had this look of horror on her face when I turned and she saw my 1911. I had just gotten home from work after a long stressful day. I just wanted to get my yard work done and unwind. I was not in the mood to play 20 questions with some misinformed sheep.

Her: *A little bit of attitude* "Do you really need that"?
Me: *Annoyed* "Need what"?
Her: "Your gun"?
Me: "Sure, there are bad people in the world"
Her: "Out in the open though"?
Me: "Mam, I'm sorry to be short but I'd like to be left alone please. I can carry a gun in the open in the state of PA, and even if I couldn't I'm on private property so I can"
Her: "Well I don't think it's a good idea with kids riding around and such"

I go back to weed whacking drowning her out as she walks away and flips up her cell phone, dials something then looks back at me. I'm thinking "great, this is what I need"

I forget about the whole incident as 15 or so minutes pass I'm cleaning up my mess and a LEO cruiser pulls around the corner and up behind my car on the street. He rolls the window down and I'm still clearly OC. He looks directly at my 1911, kind of does a eye roll, looks at me then says:

Him: "We got a call about a man 'brandishing' a gun, have you seen anyone brandishing a gun"? Said in a semi-sarcastic, I can't believe I'm getting bugged for this kind of crap tone.
Me "No sir, can't say I have"
Him: "Ok, well we got a call and we just needed to check"
Me: "Sounds good, am I free to go"?
Him: "Sure thing, have a good night"
Me: "You too sir"

And that was it. He drove off. He didn't even get out of the car...

I just wanted to be left alone.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
If you had to do over would you use the same words wirh the lady?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've never understood the bit about carrying where kids are around. How many times is this lady around people that conceal carry around kids and she has no clue?

Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
What does "carrying while kids around" have to do with anything? Oh right. The gun would spontaneously discharge killing one of them.

Glad you got an officer with common sense.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does "carrying while kids around" have to do with anything? Oh right. The gun would spontaneously discharge killing one of them.

Glad you got an officer with common sense.
Me too, or I would have had a nice civil suit being on private property and all :rolleyes:

That would have gone over like a fart in church.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wait! You were brandishing a weed whacker! :rofl::rofl: I bet the cops really get tired of people such as this lady.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've never understood the bit about carrying where kids are around. How many times is this lady around people that conceal carry around kids and she has no clue?

Ignorance is bliss.
:yup:And she probably blissfully thinks criminals carrying ilegal guns,concealed, never do so around the children.

Baaaah!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Too bad they don't prosecute people for making bogus 911 calls like hers,I bet if she was convicted and had to pay a fine she wouldn't be calling the cops on law abiding citizens

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with and support everyone’s right to carry a weapon both concealed and open.
There are certain things that we do or wear that are sure to draw attention to us. In my case, when I wear one of my off duty Paramedic or a K9 search & rescue shirts people seem to think it’s a open invitation to talk to me about their ailments or their cute little puppy. Most of the time, I have no issue with talking to people. I will use that as an opportunity to educate people.
However when I want be left alone I try not wear things that open the door to conversation. Openly carrying a firearm seems to draw attention from other people, so I would suggest CC when you don’t want to deal with people.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Me too, or I would have had a nice civil suit being on private property and all :rolleyes:

That would have gone over like a fart in church.
Not sure where the concern of "being on private property" comes from. You are a legal tenant of the property. I would think the right to bear arms on that property extends to the tenant unless there is something in your lease stating otherwise. I guess one could split hairs over the common areas of the townhouse.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure where the concern of "being on private property" comes from. You are a legal tenant of the property. I would think the right to bear arms on that property extends to the tenant unless there is something in your lease stating otherwise. I guess one could split hairs over the common areas of the townhouse.
No I was referring to if the LEO had decided to detain me and harass me on private property. I rent from a private owner, not a company.

·
Registered
599 Posts
This one goes to the dispatcher who didn't ask a question or two before sending the cruiser.

·
Registered
709 Posts
She obviously doesn't like guns, but the only argument she could come up with was that there are children around? These sheep all think holstered guns are so dangerous and their going to jump out of the holsters and shoot children. They just don't realize how many more accidental deaths of children occur by bathtub drownings and automobile accidents than by shootings. Why don't they call the police about those items? "911, there's a man driving his car down my street, and there are children around."

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
She obviously doesn't like guns, but the only argument she could come up with was that there are children around? These sheep all think holstered guns are so dangerous and their going to jump out of the holsters and shoot children. They just don't realize how many more accidental deaths of children occur by bathtub drownings and automobile accidents than by shootings. Why don't they call the police about those items? "911, there's a man driving his car down my street, and there are children around."
It sounds to me like this lady probably has called the police on innocent drivers before:sheep:

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
bleep, bleep, bleep... :cowboy: Anyone seen a little lost :sheep: running around the neighborhood with a cell phone glued to her ear?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The sad part is, she walked away thinking she showed you! "The police will take care of him!"

1 - 20 of 54 Posts