Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you can begin snickering now....

Yesterday while doing regular shopping at Costco, I saw stacks of Calvin Kline belts that looked kinda heavy duty, so I bought a box of 2 for $25. They are 1.5" wide and 1/8" thick and quite stiff. I hung my Colt Commander and nary a tweak. I got the version for jeans as opposed for dress and the hardware is very stout.

Since some of us are relegated to bargain hunting I though I'd pass it along. No it's no $90 belt but not bad for $12.50.

BTW: I wouldn't admit they were Kalvin Kline except it's necessary to communicate the deal. I don't associate that brand with guns.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
If it doesn't start sagging with a heavy gun I will be surprised. Even my Carhart belts sag when OWB with a heavy gun.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Thick does not equal strong. Good gun belts are double-thickness (not thicker) for the necessary shear force.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Only time will tell, be sure to report back.:ticking:
In the past, I had purchased some thick leather belts from a 'country shop'...didn't last long.OMO

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If they get you by for now, that's good enough.
I'd be willing to bet you'd go through a gross of those belts before you wear out 1 decent gun belt though. They pay for themselves in the long run.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If they get you by for now, that's good enough.
And sometimes, that's just what you need.

I've lost 30 pounds recently and I needed a new belt. I picked up a Rustler brand one at Wal-mart for under $15. That's good enough for now, since I still have another 20 to lose. Then, I'll start looking at other options.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I could of bought 12 1 1/2" belts all they needed was buckles at Tandy Leather last month for 59.95,but they will sag with a heavy gun over time,thats 5.00 ea + 2.00 buckle

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I bought two belts from tractor supply... Very strong belts.

I can't complain...
You are supposed the install the belts on the tractor not use them. :danceban: Sheeeh what people wont do to save a buck :hand5:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I bought two belts from tractor supply... Very strong belts.

I can't complain...
i'm going to assume they may be the basket weave leather..i have owned 2 of them for well over a year and they do a fantastic job supporting a firearm iwb for me...they are a very firm leather and relatively thick...very sturdy...i havent noticed any excessive stretch either...one of them is an everyday work belt for me and it is holding up very well...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Costco belt might last me for some time. I don't anticipate carrying the Colt Commander 45 but will the Colt Mustang when I find a holster I like. I do not like the IWB/OWB so it looks like a case of some kind on my belt or the nut buster. For obvious reasons I prefer the belt case. I really wanted the Bulldog Cell Phone case but it's 1/2" too short. Anyway, at about 1lb I doubt it will strain the new Costco belt I bought.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Once I started using a "real" gun belt, I can't even put on a regular belt when carrying. Just sayin'

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I bought a belt at Cabela's that initially seemed to be a great gun belt. It was for a short time, but over the months it began to weaken/soften to where it was really poor at solidly supporting a holster.

Having just gotten my new belt from TT Gunleather, I'll not be seeing such a problem again!

·
Registered
41,559 Posts
"OK, you can begin snickering now...."

Calvin Kline, huh? I imagine it looks pretty cute when you pose in your underwear. But, what ever works. Not everyone can can go for the top-of-the-line superduper gear.

So, did you say they come in big sizes too?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hope your adventures are better than mine with department store belts. I've had several that just don't hold up, I just picked up a 5.11 Tactical for dirt cheap from LA Tactical. From what I can tell most people have bad things to say about the finish but so far it's good enough and my dress style is pretty laid back, lets say jeans and T-shirt everyday. So if the belt shows wear but still is solid it's been a good buy for me. LA Tactical is still running pants with a free belt deals and it was a great buy so far.

Good luck!

Luke

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we'll find out. I ordered an Uncle Mikes PDA Style Black Holster. It's 6" L x 5" W x 1" D which is just right for my Mustang 5.5"L x 4"W x 1.12D. Now to see if it really does the thing.

Also ordered a Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe from Cabela's for $20. The idea is to keep it in the car so when we go to a grandchild's school play we can secure it there. It's many miles of country roads to get there which was my big deal for getting a CCW.

* OldVet: Yes they come in sizes well into the 40's. HYad to dig through lots of boxes to get to a 38", seems to be a popular size.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm not sure how that holster will work for ya, I don't have any experience with it but it sure sounds massive to pass off as a PDA case. Arguably one of the larger PDA phones made is the ppc6700 and it's only 4.25 x 2.30 x 1.00 inches that holster is 6x5x1 which just seems big to me. To each his own and if it works for you more power to you, but just my 2 cents:)

Luke

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They call it a PDA case but I read someone say that it works great for the personal navigation devices also. I know I'll be asked what's in the case, but if I say a nav device they will want to see it. Of course looking at me I could say a portable defibrillator and they might not bat an eye.

When asked why I got a CCW permit I tell them I'm too old to run anymore.
When asked if I think I could get my gun out in time to protect myself, I tell them I may have to start singing to entertain them while I draw.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well I love the idea of a holster that will hide my gun in plain sight I just can't see this one working for me;) But I also wouldn't carry in a fanny pack and my dad does that quite often so to each his own:)

Luke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts