Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I own a G 21 and several wheel guns so I understand the pro and cons of both. Need to get a CC weapon hoping someone out there has both a 26 and a 642 and can share there experience.

The gun will be carried on the ankle

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The 642 simplicity is undeniable....I own a 340 and love its versatility for 357/38. That being said, youare already used to the manual of arms for the Glock and the capacity and more powerful round of the 26 would push me to buy it.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Didnt see the ankle coment...i agree with JD go with the revo.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I have both and agree with JD. I carried a 642 on my ankle for several years while working for the Sheriff's dept. and never had a problem...

·
Registered
862 Posts
I love the G26/27 but if it was for an ankle I think I'd go 642 on this one.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Will this be your primary CC weapon, or a BUG?

If primary, I would not recommend ankle carry - you cannot draw and move at the same time. If you go this route anyway for your primary, I would go G26.

If it is a BUG, then revolver - assuming your primary is a semi-auto pistol.

·
Registered
809 Posts
How do you plan to carry? For the non-traditional methods, ankle, pocket, thunderwear, the 642 is a much better choice. For a belt gun the Glock 26 is better, the 642 being designed for more deep concealment, isn't the best choice for a holster gun.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
The snubbie would work much better on the ankle. I can't imagine carrying the G-26 in an ankle holster, but I know some do...OMO

(I don't have the 642, but I do have the 637...same gun, but with the hammer.)

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have owned both handguns before, and yes the revolver is easier to carry on the ankle. However, for carry on the waist, shoulder holster or fanny pack, the Glock 26 is a better choice if nothing else for the firepower alone - 10 + 1 rounds of 9mm +P versus 5 rounds of .38 Special +P. Over twice the capacity of the revolver.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I have a 442 and Taurus slim and have tried both of them on my ankle and both were awkward for me (perhaps I needed a different rig or style of pants leg). The 442 was by far better. I sometimes carry a very tiny mousegun on my ankle for a backup just for the heck of it, but not often.

I would not recommend ankle carry for primary or only CCW due to accessibility being awkward. The 642 is a fine gun for primary or only CCW in a pocket...442 works great for me and the only difference is finish (I like the matte black).

·
Registered
18 Posts
642 for the reliability and versatility. I have had both (sold Glock) and have found the 642 an all around better gun for quick runs to the store, walking the dog and hiding, whether it be ankle, pocket or with a clip draw.
Get it, you will like it.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Will this be your primary CC weapon, or a BUG?

If primary, I would not recommend ankle carry - you cannot draw and move at the same time. If you go this route anyway for your primary, I would go G26.

If it is a BUG, then revolver - assuming your primary is a semi-auto pistol.
+1.....Agree completely. If primary and you are determined to carry on the ankle, then G26...If it is a BUG, then 642. I have both and depending on situation and location, I carry both...G26 OWB and 642 Ankle.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ankle carry --- 642 (just barely, an LCP is awkward enough). Smart Carry --- 642 but a G26 will fit as long as the magazine has no extenders on it.

All other carry methods --- the G26 because it's a great gun that always goes bang when you pull the trigger and you can easily stash a spare magazine up to 17 or 19 rounds.

Best of luck in your decision. I like owning both weapons.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I carry both guns (G27 and 442) on the ankle without a problem, but the snubby feels more comfortable. If this is the ONLY gun being carried, I would have to go with the Glock.

Today, as a matter of fact, was one of the occassions that I had to carry the Glock in an ankle holster all day, again, no problem - is a matter of getting used to it.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I own a G 21 and several wheel guns so I understand the pro and cons of both. Need to get a CC weapon hoping someone out there has both a 26 and a 642 and can share there experience.

The gun will be carried on the ankle

Thanks,
I own both handguns and if I was going to ankle carry which I don't, the 642 would bes the better option because its lighter and less bulky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a 26 in an ankle holster at least 5 days a week with no problems. Have carried a J frame as well but prefer the 26. Once you get used to it you'll forget it's there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I carry both in an ankle rig. I don't wear jeans so I'm able to fit the 26 with a +2 base plate giving me a 13 rd capacity. You have to wear khakis, though, anything else and you'll print. I like ankle carry for both primary and BUG. I've gotten to a point that I don't like guns around my (ample) waist. I carry in a shoulder rig also, usually wear a t-shirt with an open button down over the top. There've been times when I couldn't do that and had to rely on ankle carry as primary. You'll hear a lot about speed of draw from people who don't like it, but think about it. With ankle carry you're closer to the gun while driving, sitting down in the restaurant, sitting at the bus stop, etc. With waist carry those positions hamper access to a gun. Try drawing from the 4 Oclock with someone pressed up against you in a booth. To each his own, though. I like ankle carry and carry both those guns regularly in that fashion. And remember: the operative word in "Concealed Carry" is "Concealed". A lot of people who decry ankle carry go out in public looking like "Hysterical-Tactical-SWAT-Shooter-Guy". You know, 5.11 pants, tactical vest, rappelling belt, military boots, gun hat. That draws scrutiny from LEO just like dressing like a thug. With an ankle rig and casual clothing you look like somebody's Dad. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I highly recommend the 642. 100% reliable. No springs to replace. Super safe. I carry mine in a DeSantis pocket holster. The cylinder actually helps break up the outline. Nobody has a clue I'm carrying and I can have my hand in my pocket on the 642 in a ready situation if need be without drawing any attention to myself. The downside is the 5 round capacity, but several studies have shown 98% of controntations end with presentation of the weapon and several of the remaining 2% end with one or two shots being fired.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Dedicated ankle carry, go 642. Primary CC weapon, go Glock and refine your mode of carry. Way to slow to draw from the ankle. YMMV

GBK

1 - 20 of 28 Posts