Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Interesting article. I carry a Kahr CM9 and am very happy with it. I tried several on the list and if I had more money I might try several more. But the CM9 has been very good for me. It is concealable, reliable and remarkably accurate for it's size.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Ahhhh, I remember reading this last year.
I feel the Ruger got a raw deal, penalized for user error.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I used to have a Taurus PT709 with over 6000+ problem free rounds out of it using the same stock recoil assembly. When I sold it to a LEO and told him the round count, he just said GOOD he considered it properly broken in !!! A few years ago I ran into him and he said that he still has it and uses it as his backup gun and has not had any problems with it. God Bless :smile:

By the way, for owners of the PT709, you can now purchase night sights for these as they use the same as the new PT111 G2, which some companies have released some for. I have a set of Truglo TFX on my PT111 G2 and they work and fit great !!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VBVAGUY ..... Sounds like you decided to replace the PT709 with the PT111 ... I have both ... The PT709 seems to carry easier in my cargo pants pockets .. But both have ran 100% ..

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
FWIW - I've been reading G&A, cover-to-cover, for over 45 years. That's a BUNCHA' gun "reviews". I've never seen a "don't buy this" recommendation. Frankly, I'd sooner invest in the opinion of a sound-thinking, plain-speaking DC member than listen to the platitudes of an aspiring "gun writer" trying to make a reputation, gain a following & keep his job. IMHO, there are too many possible sub-agendas in a G&A Gun Review. :image035:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Buckeye63 actually back then, I sold the PT709 and purchased the S&W Shield. I have been carrying the Shield ever since. However a year ago I got the PT111 as a replacement from Taurus for the Taurus 82 Revolver I sent in for repairs for a mistake I did, but they could not fix and asked me to pick another firearm they can replace it with since they were out of 82 revolvers. That is customer service !!! You can search for that incident in this forum. So I chose the new PT111 G2. Recently I have been carrying it instead of the Shield. Comparing the Shield and the PT111 G2, they are both actually right at the same size, etc. however the PT111 carries 12+1 rounds and I can use and carry a Sig P226 18-round magazine as a spare. That is a little more firepower than with the Shield. So the PT111 may eventually replace my Shield as my CCW firearm. God Bless :smile:

VBVAGUY ..... Sounds like you decided to replace the PT709 with the PT111 ... I have both ... The PT709 seems to carry easier in my cargo pants pockets .. But both have ran 100% ..

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'd like to see the rematch with the Walther PPS M2, and the XD-S 3.3 9mm included in the tests.

My 4.0 was heavy for a 9mm, but some people like the extra heft with +P ammo.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'll stick with my Ruger LC9s. I've had it for almost two years and been carrying it for nine months and never a problem. You gotta remember everybody is not going to get the same result all the time. Use what works for you.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Like me, the G&A staff were more put off concerning the Paddle Release on the PPS
M-1 (Classic) the how light, slim and accurate it was.

The PPS M2 would do nicely in any new testing.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being all but one of the pistols , were new out of the box .. No break in , no cleaning .. Id say all seemed to do a great job .. Especially the ones at the end with the staggered loads ..

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
thanks for posting the report, I have three from that group, the XDs in .45, Shield in 9mm and the PPS in .40, wouldn't mine the PPS M2 in 9mm my original in .40 is hand torture while firing it.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I guess I could shoot all of them and have different grouping. No compact 1911s.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I'd like to see a double stack sub compact shootout with the G2, G26, Mod2, M&P9c, etc... The single stack 9mm handguns have been compared to ad nauseum...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I've had couple G26s and they were fine.

far better than the G43 I sold to get my PPS M2:35:

The Mod 2 Sub-compact 9mm's trigger was all over the place.

No problems with my Service Model or my excellent MOD 2 .45 ACP...

with a slight edge to the Service's light and crisp trigger.

No doubt that Ruger will be chopping down their new American 9mms if enough people
write them.

One the size of a SR9C without a stupid LCI would be nice.

When you load a round with the American, you can clearly see the
brass in the barrel.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Thanks, but I'll stick with my Shield!

·
Registered
475 Posts
FWIW - I've been reading G&A, cover-to-cover, for over 45 years. That's a BUNCHA' gun "reviews". I've never seen a "don't buy this" recommendation. Frankly, I'd sooner invest in the opinion of a sound-thinking, plain-speaking DC member than listen to the platitudes of an aspiring "gun writer" trying to make a reputation, gain a following & keep his job. IMHO, there are too many possible sub-agendas in a G&A Gun Review. :image035:
I've hit most issues over the last 25 years. What ghost says is accurate. I do enjoy the gun rags, but it's good to remember that they make the money on advertising. They are not going to trash anyone.

Also agree with his statement about DC forum members. It was what led me to become a member here. The majority of times I did a web search on a firearm, I ended up at DC.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
yep, remember how great the Remington R-51 was, in all the guns reviews

1 - 19 of 19 Posts