Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been carrying my G26 for a few years now and have been using a CTAC IWB holster quite happily. It was a great first holster, and the price was right when I first made the purchase. The other day, one of the clips broke on me as I was removing it from my belt, and I have taken this as a sign that it is time for an upgrade.

Like many here, I have researched and read reviews up the wazoo for all the options out there, and I was hoping for a little feedback to my thoughts. I posted a "WTB" thread in the trade forum, but have had no luck, so it looks like I will need to place an order.

I am looking for an IWB Leather option that I will be wearing at a 3:30-4:00 position with a loose T-shirt over my belt/rig. I might like to tuck my shirt every once in awhile, so the ability to add/change the clips to make it tuck-able would be a plus, but not mandatory. I also would like to be able to have proper retention, but have a rig that I could re-holster one handed.

My initial research has led me to Nate over at UBG holsters. He seems to get good reviews, the price is cheaper than a few others, and he is advertising a 3-5 week timeframe on his website. It looks like the Striker or Canute would meet all my requirements, and was wondering what the thoughts would be on these two models.

I see that the Striker has a dual spring clip, while the Canute has the dual offset loops with pull the dot snaps. Is there a big difference between these two clip systems? What are the pros/cons of each?

I was also wondering about the few degree difference in forward cant between these two models. The Striker has a 20-22 degree, and the Canute has 22-25 degree forward cant. I just left my CTAC stock and didn't change the cant when I got it, so will I notice a huge difference with the new angle of my G26?

Also, would I need to order the reinforced mouth band so I could re-holster one handed, or do you think the normal holster would suffice? I am only 155 lb, so I do usually cinch my belt down pretty tight to keep my rig in proper position.

I appreciate any and all feedback about these thoughts so far. Any comments on UBG products, or other manufacturers that would work well would be greatly appreciated. I am a little nervous about picking out my first leather holster, and want to try and get it right on the first try. I understand I may end up with the inevitable "holster drawer", but if I can get it right on my first try, I would be thrilled.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I just got a Canute from another forum member, wore for the first time today, was very comfortable, it doesn't have the reinforced band, which would be a bonus, but I didn't have trouble reholstering after walking my daughter into school. I like the cant very much, it rode high and placed the grip of my XDsc at almost the perfect angle to keep it concealed under a polo I wore today. and I weigh about 20 pounds more, if that helps.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got several holsters from UBG and the quality is very good. I don't trust clips, so I got the Canutes and I was pretty happy with them for a while but I've since decided that I prefer a reinforced mouth on IWB holsters. I wear my belt pretty tight, and I would sometimes have problems reholstering, especially under less than ideal circumstances like sitting in a vehicle. I've since gotten Sparks VM2's, which I can reholster anytime under any circumstances, but I'm not faulting the quality of the UBG's. The reinforcement wasn't offered back when I ordered these holsters or else I would have gotten it. I've also got a couple of his OWB's and I still use those frequently.

The extra cant is meant to make the gun more concealed and easier to reach when worn farther back like 4:00 or 4:30, and I prefer that. I have a mistrust of clips going back years when I would see clip on holsters come out still on the drawn gun, but I suppose that's less likely to happen with dual clips. Even so, I use only leather loops on my holsters and I don't tuck my shirt over a gun anyway.

I went with UBG back then for the same reasons you're looking at, reasonable price and quick delivery, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry a G27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and forget its there most of the time. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever used. If you like your Ctac, I have no doubts their Minotaur(like the crossbreed)is a great holster as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I carry a G27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck and forget its there most of the time. It is the most comfortable holster I have ever used. If you like your Ctac, I have no doubts their Minotaur(like the crossbreed)is a great holster as well.
I have a good friend that has the Supertuck for his Springfield XD, and they are very solid holsters. I remember trying it on for a brief moment, and it is a very comfortable rig.

I don't mind the hybrid kydex design, because it keeps the cost down to a very reasonable price. I have considered this as an option, especially for the cost, but in the end, I was hoping for something all leather.

Thanks for the advice, and keep the thoughts coming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts