Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting the family into hiking/camping and was considering a 10mm for a "woods" gun. We'll be in NC so the biggest thing I might come across is most likely a black bear.

I've never shot it, but I'm drawn to the 10mm because I've heard it compared to the .41 magnum and I'm drawn to the G29 because its is about the size of the G30 I already own and carry occasionally and I can convert it to .357 Sig (which is a round I've wanted to try) or .40 when the next ammo pinch comes.

Now my questions...

I have an SP101 in .357 magnum already. Does the 10mm give me that much more power than the .357 for 4 legged targets?

Is there enough difference in recoil that I should consider the G20 instead of the G29?

Is it truly just a matter of replacing barrel and recoil spring to run .357 Sig and/or .40 reliably or would I need to modify the extractor or sights as well? I'm thinking I would need new .357/.40 mags. I've heard you can modify the lip of the 10mm mag to make it work with .357 and .40, but I don't want to get into modifying any mag and can pick up some dedicated mags if needed.

Thanks! As always you guys here at DC are a great group to bounce my weird gun cravings off of.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If I was going to get a 10mm, it would be a G20. Between the SP101 and the 29, the only real advantage to the Glock is capacity. A good 357 round would be fine as a woods gun. But I'd rather have the longer barreled and higher capacity G20 over the SP101.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I would think that the only noticeable difference between the 10mm and the 357 mag would be capacity. I think you already have a good woods gun with the SP101 but I will not try to talk you out of getting a new one especially a 10mm.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Big 10mm fan

Stick to the SF frame they feel better

If you get the right load they are great ..Many loads are closer to 40 cal now

Recoil I would say is the sharpest of 40cal and the ump of 45 if that makes any sense

·
Registered
12,916 Posts
If attacked by a bear, how many shots do you expect to get off?

The 357 mag is fine. The 10mm is more like a 357 mag fired from a 6" bbl than a 41 mag.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you already have a g-30, just get a 30 to 29 conversion barrel and 29 or 20 mags.

And by the way, you don't need to alter 10mm mags if youre going to be feeding .40 or 357sig in them.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Yeah, as many as it takes. It's hard to get shots on target while climbing a tree :yikes:

I like the way my Delta Elites shoot compared to my G29, but when comparing size, weight, capacity and "Glockness", or knockaround ability... G29 all the way for a woods gun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Personally, if this is for outdoor carry, I'd get the 20. 4.6" barrel length vs the 29's 3.77" barrel length. That with some Double Tap ammo in a heavier grain would surely be the best way to go in these platforms to put a hurting on a bear.

If it was going to be my only gun and I'd have to carry it daily, I'd still go with the 20. But that's just me. I really like the 29, too. Still getting the 10mm punch but smaller and easier to conceal comfortably.

But, you did explicitly mention this being for a hiking/camping gun. So my pick is 20 all the way.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
My Glock 20 SF:
Hornady 155 XTP @ 1,335 fps / 614# KE

I saw a youtube video where the 180 Hornady XTP got 1,261 fps / 635# KE from a 4.5'' barrel
Over 600# KE from a 4.5'' barrel and not using "boutique" ammo.

If hiking where I might encounter a bear, the Glock 20 (SF) would be my pick.
Loaded with something that had the potential for penetration like this 200 gr. Corbon: 10mm Auto 200gr Hunter RNPN
16 rounds with the potential to make quick follow up shots, important if shooting at a moving target or one that may require multiple rounds to stop.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It would depend on the ammo used. If using REAL 10mm ammo, for me, the G20 is faster on target for follow up shots (easier to control). For carry in bear country I use 200gr HP's loaded to 1193fps (20 shot average). On any game that can use you for lunch, penetration is needed. Blackies are quite shy and will usually avoid you at all times, EXCEPT moms with cubs and bear that are habituated to humans and their garbage.

The G20SF is the best choice unless you have very large hands, in which case the G20 would suit you better.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I shoot 357 sig in my g29 with ONLY a barrel swap nothing else.

The only avantage i see over the revolver is capacity.

If you get a 10 you will want to reload.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
If I was going to get a 10mm, it would be a G20. Between the SP101 and the 29, the only real advantage to the Glock is capacity. A good 357 round would be fine as a woods gun. But I'd rather have the longer barreled and higher capacity G20 over the SP101.
One more thing, the 10mm hole is .043 bigger with a greater weight bullet.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If I was looking for a 10 I think it would be the glock 40 MOS. If it's going to be a woods gun and not a CC piece you might as well go with the longer barrel.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts