Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Georgia HB 280 (Campus Carry Bill) has passed both houses and currently sits on the Governor's desk. While I am all for the passage of this bill, there is one glaring issue that I cannot understand. You can see the full text of the bill here: HB*280*2017-2018 Regular Session

Section 1-(2)-(v) reads: "Not apply to faculty, staff, or administrative offices or rooms where disciplinary proceedings are conducted;

Now I can maybe (not really) understand not allowing students to carry into an office where a disciplinary proceedings are conducted. And if they omitted the second "or" in that clause we'd be fine. But here's the huge problem with this bill---Faculty, Staff (of which I am one) and Administrators are not allowed to carry in their offices.
--That means I can sit across the hall from a room that seats 100 students, but i am not allowed to sit at my desk and conceal my firearm.
--I can stand in the hall and carry, I can use the restroom and carry, I can go to a dining commons and carry, I can ride a bus and carry..... I cannot however sit at my desk.
--A professor can stand at the front of a class and lecture, but once they return to their office or stop by the Dept. Head/Dean's office they are not allowed to carry.
--The dean of the college, the president, the janitors, the accountants etc. cannot carry once they set foot in their offices.

WHAT THE _______? What sense does that make? Anti-2A'ers are worried about immature college students "shooting up the place" but those that are likely "more mature" are stripped of the right to carry on campus. What it might do is force someone (stupidly) to leave their bag (which might contain a firearm) unattended, which creates a situation ripe for theft and misuse of said firearm.

Im all for baby steps, but this seems like the exactly wrong way to go about it. Hopefully, as a year goes by and there are no crazy gun toting vigilantes going on crime sprees, someone will pose a common sense gun law (I hate that term, sorry).

·
Read Only
610 Posts
I guess the interpretation depends on what "disciplinary proceedings" are. It sounds, on the surface to me at least, to mean formal proceedings/processes. Are you sure it relates to what a typical professor does on a routine and regular basis, like counseling a student about their work or grades?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Man that law has so many exceptions I don't see how anyone can follow it. At least if you are a license holder then if you accidentally break the law it is a misdemeanor punishable by a $25.00 fine and no jail time. Not saying anyone should break the law.... just saying.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I'm sure it's about liability. A university isn't on the hook if a student does something bad with a gun, but they are if one of their employees does it. As also applies in the private sector, they're better off if an employee gets murdered by a criminal (no liability, almost always) than if an employee shoots a criminal (possible liability).

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
A. The wording seems to fairly clearly include the exception of all places : faculty offices, staff offices, administrative offices, and rooms conducting disciplinaryproceedings. But, leave it up to a room ful of lawyers to mess up a comma in a series, or the meaning of the word "is".

B. The University would be well within their purview to simply prohibit employees from carrying.

Here, a parent with a license can OC into a school, but employees cannot.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
The janitors conduct disciplinary proceedings? And they have offices?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Priceless! You'll be out in the halls camping just like all the students waiting on you lol!!

They are changing the laws for campus carry in KS too. It'll be fun to watch all the faculty who used to park off campus (because they have weapons in their cars) wipe off their parking passes and find spots on campus now lol.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
"...(i) Not apply to buildings or property used for athletic sporting events or student
housing
, including, but not limited to, fraternity and sorority houses

So you can carry on campus but not in your room? Did I read that correctly?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you conceal properly, you're good. If you don't, $25. Parking tickets are more.
True its only a $25 fine. But I am an employee and if I am arrested and charged of a misdemeanor while at work, I would suspect I'd probably need to start looking for a job.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"...(i) Not apply to buildings or property used for athletic sporting events or student
housing
, including, but not limited to, fraternity and sorority houses

So you can carry on campus but not in your room? Did I read that correctly?
You did indeed. However, most students that would be authorized to carry (those over 21) don't live in dorms or frat/sorority houses. I am in no way justifying such a silly exemption, just pointing out that it may not be as bad of an exemption as it seems at first glance.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The way I read it, don't conduct "disciplinary proceedings" in your office you can carry there.

At least that's how I would argue it if I carried there and they tried to fine me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts