Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i can. ok so we all know ammo is hard to come by. everytime i go to gander mountain i always check for ammo. and like always they dont have any. however yesterday i watched as a gentleman next to me bought a new handgun and i heard the guy behind the counter tell him that they keep bulk ammo in the back for people who buy a new handgun. and i watched as the clerk handed over 350 rounds. i called Gander mountain and they said it is not the policy to do this. what do you guys think? granted i didn't buy my handgun from gander mountains because around me they seem to be about $50-$70 dollars higher than the local gun shops are for new guns.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That have never had that happen at the gander near me, but they have a bulk ammo sale like once a month also and actually have decent prices considering the times.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
hello all. let me start out by saying i got my cpl back in jan of this year. and ive been carrying everyday everywhere i can. ok so we all know ammo is hard to come by. everytime i go to gander mountain i always check for ammo. and like always they dont have any. however yesterday i watched as a gentleman next to me bought a new handgun and i heard the guy behind the counter tell him that they keep bulk ammo in the back for people who buy a new handgun. and i watched as the clerk handed over 350 rounds. i called Gander mountain and they said it is not the policy to do this. what do you guys think? granted i didn't buy my handgun from gander mountains because around me they seem to be about $50-$70 dollars higher than the local gun shops are for new guns.
Call your local Gander and ask what day (Night) they get their weekly ammo/gun shipment. If Tues night,then go there VERY early Weds AM. (like 7 or 6:30) and wait for opening at 9.
My local store gives out #'s so there is no stampede to the gun dept. All the scarce ammo is behind the counter so you have to go by #.
They DO have .40,.45 and AK ammo in front.
Scarce stuff is .22,9mm.,.223/5.56 Prices are very good for todays market. ($250 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm.)

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
GM prices above retail...even before the Obama induced craziness. I told them the MSRP, and they said that will be the "sale" price they would offer the next week.

I tried to buy a pistol there years ago, and they wouldn't sell because the purchase permit, issued by the Chief of Police, signed by me, and notarized did not have the suffix of my name. I called the dept. so they could talk to the office clerk. She explained that the computer form could not fit that, and that I had just been in to pick up he permit. I told the salesman I would take my business to a store that understood MI gun law. I bought a Sig at a local store that day.

I window shop, mostly consignment guns, but haven't even bought a pair of socks since. I was in today, shocked at he price of a (normally) $32 box of .38 marked for $47! They had a S&W M&P15-22 for $990.

My money goes elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
I think that's a reasonable local policy that protects the guy paying a good buck for a new gun, to ensure he's got some ammo to put through it. Think of it as "rewards" points for customers spending more. Not buying a gun? Get in line and lurk with the rest of us.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
It's not a horrible marketing strategy if they can somehow communicate to potential new gun buyers that if they buy guns with them...they can get ammo, too. As they say in the cell phone industry it's harder to get new customers than retain old ones. Maybe this is a way they think they can attract new customers (hopefully without alienating current/loyal ones). It's a risk you run, I guess.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I went there to check for ammo last week. Same thing ,all shelves were bare . So I checked over the guns , noticed a Ruger 10/22 carbine . Wanted one for sometime , so I bought it . While I was waiting for my background check . I mentioned how nice it would be to find some 22lr ammo . Clerk goes in back brings me a 375 CCI brick , so I ask for another one . Brings me one more . Then told me anything I buy right now that's firearm related I get 5% off . Told him I was ok , he tries to get me to buy some 9mm rounds they had stashed in back . I'm ok with my 9mm supply so I pass .
You're right they do stash ammo in back for customers who buy handguns !!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Think about it...what good does it do a new gun owner to purchase a new firearm, but then find out there is no ammo for it?

A large number of gun dealers do this.

I personally have no issue with a dealer keeping ammunition in the back for buyers of a new firearm. A sale on a box of 9mm won't make up for the lost sale/s on a 9mm (Or any other caliber) firearm.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Think about it...what good does it do a new gun owner to purchase a new firearm, but then find out there is no ammo for it?

A large number of gun dealers do this.

I personally have no issue with a dealer keeping ammunition in the back for buyers of a new firearm. A sale on a box of 9mm won't make up for the lost sale/s on a 9mm (Or any other caliber) firearm.

I totally agree ,

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of the LGS and big box stores around here have adopted this same policy. Makes sense to take care of the customer spending big bucks on a new weapon.

·
Banned
952 Posts
If that's the store's policy - bulk ammo for a new gun purchase - then that's the policy. They likely offer that because who wants to buy a gun with no ammo available. Helps their sales.

(Wonder where they get the bulk......THAT would be nice to find out. Perhaps it's available to them because Gander's a national chain that gets a deal, which brings the REAL question up: where is ANYONE getting the bulk ammo to start with?...)

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Several of our LGS have ammo in the back for guns they sell.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I completely support the stores that hold back some ammo for buyers purchasing a gun. My LGS does this. Not gonna sell a lot of guns in this market if you buyer can't get any ammo. Especially a .22lr!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here GM has alot higher prices on most everything. What's funny is Academy is maybe 50 yards away and alot cheaper on guns and ammo. I have compared prices at 2gun stores, academy, and GM. GM was much higher. Priced magazines for my p238, $49.99 at GM and $39 at gun store(sig brand).I always pass on their ammo. Two Wal Marts here and one seems to always have some at very good prices. The other one is always out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Scheels All Sports was doing the same thing, when my wife bought her new gun she could buy a 100 round box of WWB that they held in back for new gun purchasers, but they have since ran out of supply so havent' been able to offer it buyers now. I thought it was a pretty good deal considering how hard it is to find ammo.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I was at Gander Mountain yesterday in Spring, Tx. and bought 400 rounds of Federal 45 acp without any hassel or questions. Must have been a store policy there. Also, capitalization is your friend, just saying.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
I never knew CCI sold 375R bricks of 22. Is this something new?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here GM has alot higher prices on most everything. What's funny is Academy is maybe 50 yards away and alot cheaper on guns and ammo. I have compared prices at 2gun stores, academy, and GM. GM was much higher. Priced magazines for my p238, $49.99 at GM and $39 at gun store(sig brand).I always pass on their ammo. Two Wal Marts here and one seems to always have some at very good prices. The other one is always out.

Agree

1 - 20 of 45 Posts