Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not college football. A co-worker of mine recently bought a nice plot out in the middle of nowhere. He's got 5 acres with a nice sized pond. He's concerned about wild hogs and an 8ft gator that share his property. I'm trying to help him pick out a yard gun just in case some of his neighbors get frisky. We talked about shotguns, but it would be a little difficult to fish or mow with a shotty over your shoulder the whole time. I keep my 1911 on my hip when I'm fishing out there. I was thinking a .357 or .44 mag 6 shot revolver, 4 or 6 inch barrel. He's not a big shooter, so an autoloader might not be such a good idea, especially when being chased by a wild animal! I would think either of those calibers would be sufficient, but I've also seen a 30-06 only penetrate 2 inches into a wild boar, luckily for my dad it was the two inches over the spinal cord. Am I way off, or would this be a solid recommendation?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just want to clarify, this guy is not looking to kill any animals around the house (except the rattlesnakes). He just wants to make sure he has enough gun if the time ever comes that he needs it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why would he want to keep an 8 ft alligator in his pond? They'll attack anything smaller than them and their pea size brain doesn't allow them to learn tricks or make friends.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I believe the gator would suddenly disappear...:yup:
Have you ever had properly prepared gator tail?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
167 Posts
For gators and hogs a shotgun would probably be best. Pistols aren't a good choice for either animal. A 12 ga. shotgun gives you options #4, 00, and 1oz. slug.

·
Super Moderator
16,816 Posts
For both hogs and gators I would recommend either a 44 or 357 mag preferably the 44 loaded with JSP bullets instead of JHP since you want penetration before the bullet starts to open up. Both hogs and gators are like politicians VERY hard headed and any headshot must be almost square to the head to penetrate, on hogs it would be preferable to make a heart/lung shot to put them down, a gator on the other hand is best stopped with a head shot. A 4 or 6 inch barrel would be fine with my preference being the 6 inch in order to get the most velocity from the round.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I've shot a few hogs with a 44mag, but never a gator. 240gr. JSP's worked well in a 6" barrel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Uh... Kill the hogs, Call us over and We will have some Fine fine Pork!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'd say a S&W 629 Classic should join the fam...:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
454 Posts
the gator would be my major worry...a buddy of mine lost a hog dog and a very expensive tracking collar to a gator one night..bayed it on the bank of a slough and when wading over to get their dogs..the gator swam between him and his buddy with the dog in his mouth.... the hogs will go nocturnal once he starts making his presence known...

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
.357 or 41/44 mag. does the trick for me

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I'd call the Fish and Game Department and have the catch and move the gator. I know they are still protected in some states, not sure about GA. The hogs would be hunted, they are destructive and can be very dangerous, especially if injured. While I would consider a handgun as a backup for them, I'd prefer a 30-30 to get rid of them.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
[QUOTE=j21blackjack; I've also seen a 30-06 only penetrate 2 inches into a wild boar, luckily for my dad it was the two inches over the spinal cord.

I would say that the bullet was a squib :rolleyes: I've shot a 250LB bore with 150gn JSP 30-06 Went through both sheilds ran a little & dropped ,Nothing wrong whith a 30-06 :bier: Or a .44 Mag on his hip :wink:

·
Registered
312 Posts
My buddy and I killed 3 hogs about 4 weeks ago with .357mag and .44mag pistols. Most hogs will flee from you unless they feel cornered. As for the gator get rid of him. They can be nuisance animals too and very aggressive during breeding/birthing seasons.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sounds like a job for a Ruger Black/Redhawk in .44 mag. Gators & hogs are well-done-in by heavy, hardcast (Elmer Keith-style) bullets. If he doesn't reload, Buffalo Bore has some factory loadings that should fit the task nicely.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems like everyone agrees if it's going to be a pistol it should be a 44mag. He is planning on buying a shotgun also. The gator has only been seen twice in the last 3 months, of course the guy hasn't moved out there yet either. I don't know about the hogs, I bet we could find some folks around here that would love some fresh pork. Thanks for all the reponses.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
.50 AE maybe? I have no idea how that would fare against an alligators tough hide, bit if I was in similar situation, I'd want an AR or AK clone myself. Basically I'd want as many rounds available to me and ready as it would take to stop it if it decided I was lunch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
MSG/Ret has it spot on: a .44 mag with JSP.

Don't forget (personal experience) that a heart shot pig takes about 15 seconds before he realizes he's dead.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can you introduce the hogs to the gator? Bait the pond banks in places where the gator's been seen. Keep your pets out of the pond. That gator is probably really familiar with the taste of pork already and is on duty 24/7. He may, if you can tolerate his presence, be your best ally against the piggys.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts