Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I gave my beloved Seecamp to a family member. To be precise, she pronounced my tiny jewel as "just what see was looking for", so I traded her for the Sig P230 she wasn't using. I already had several Sigs but it appeared she was "taken" by the Seecamp. Family! What could I say?

Now what do I do? I've carried the tiny pistol for a long time, so do I buy another or try something new. I opted to try the Beretta Pico mainly due to it's really thin profile, light weight, (just a tad more than the Seecamp), it's really good sights, the DAO trigger, the fact that it has a hammer and because it's a Beretta, a brand I trust as top tier. So... off to the Gun Show... there were Picos both with and without lasers there at about a $90 difference. I chose without. I like lasers, and may add one later, but for now the role of the pocket gun doesn't readily call for the added size and weight. I may change my mind depending on how it shoots and whether I actually pocket carry this one. Bought a Remora holster to try out.

Field stripping is very easy and fast. Turn a pin 1/4 turn and off comes the slide. The gun came lightly oiled, ready to go and clean. I think Beretta wipes their guns off after test firing. It comes with two 6 round magazines, a lock and a very thorough manual. The polymer frame can be changed to another by removing the slide and trigger/ rail component. This makes adding an integrated laser or light incorporated polymer frame later a quick and easy snap. Very neat design. The slide is stainless. It has a last round fired slide catch. The magazines are things of beauty similar to the wonderful Seecamp mags.

I still miss my Seecamp but the Beretta has some really neat features. We'll see. I'll get to the range as soon as possible.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Sometimes you do things you really don't want to do, for family.
I don't know if I could have made the trade. :icon_neutral:

I hope the Pico lives up to your expectations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not that there is anything wrong with a Beretta, but is there a reason you couldn't look for another Seecamp?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that there is anything wrong with a Beretta, but is there a reason you couldn't look for another Seecamp?
No particular reason. In fact I fondled a new Seecamp for several minutes before choosing the Beretta. I've owned the Seecamp for a long time but I guess I was curious to see what else had become available in the intervening years. The Beretta had the features I liked in the Seecamp. I can always get another if this doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Noble gesture, on your part.

HOPE???...the Pico works out, just shoot it a LOT to make sure that it is reliable as I have not read a lot of good reports on them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, good for her and good for you too.
Look fwd to an update on how you like the Pico

·
Registered
208 Posts
Love my Pico... I have an early version with two recoil springs and it was very temperamental till I sent it back for a rework and it came back with 1 recoil spring and much more reliable... I carry mine in a DeSantis Super Fly and have Talon grip tape on it... Very conceal able and works great....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love my Pico... I have an early version with two recoil springs and it was very temperamental till I sent it back for a rework and it came back with 1 recoil spring and much more reliable... I carry mine in a DeSantis Super Fly and have Talon grip tape on it... Very conceal able and works great....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The one I bought has one spring. I noticed two mentioned in the parts diagram and wondered...??

The box has a label stating "Upgraded, Easier Operation." I'm optimistic.

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
I should have never traded my Seecamp back. I really miss that little gem sometimes.

It was a super extra slick one that got a complete work-over by Larry Seecamp.

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
Give yourself some time to adjust to the Pico. It took me a little while to get used to a gun that thin. And invest in some Talon grips for it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made it to the range today for a short time with the new Pico. First let me say that the two magazines, one flush and one with a substantial extension, really offer different shooting impressions. The flush base provides only a one finger grip. The extension mag feels much more secure in the hand. However the actual shooting results were no different. The Pico feels funny, odd, high in the had and different than many pistols. The surprising fact was the gun shoots quite softly... even with the flush mag. The sights are good. Small but good especially for such a small, thin gun.

All rounds fed, fired and ejected with no problem at all. A couple times the first round hung up and I had to push the slide closed. I may have been riding the slide. I shot about ten mags worth of Liberty Civil Defense (a hot 50 gr HP), Gold Dot HP, Hornady Critical Defense, WWB, Fiocchi HP, and an unknown Winchester HP and a unknown Winchester ball round. I'm not going to claim I shot "one ragged hole". I tended to have my first rounds low and left then gradually moved them up level but still left. The DAO trigger, which I actually like in a small pocket gun, may take a little time to master. All in all I'm very pleased with the tiny Beretta, mainly because it worked. A carry gun has to work.

Clean up is so easy. The take down is simple and fast. The gun stayed relatively clean. I prepped the gun with Eezox and Militec-1, which always helps cleaning.

Not a Seecamp, but close. Easy to shoot, small and thin and reliable, (so far). I'm happy.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I wouldn't trade my LCP gen 2 - not to be confuse with the LCP ll - for a Seecamp or a Pico but I'll bet I could have some close range fun with any of the above. :image035:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
My gunsmith Uncle gave my Dad one of those little .25 Czech guns back in the early '70s as a gift for emergencies. We never did fire it. Dad always referred to it as a "Saturday night special". We lost my Dad a couple off years ago and I'm still depressed over the disappearance of that little gun.

Methinks, Uncle had been hanging on to that little scrappy pistol for a while before he gave it up.

·
Banned
216 Posts
My Pico has been 100% so far. It had the upgrade, and I normally load 6 then rack, leaving only 5 in the magazine. I prefer a J-frame for shooting, and often carry a J-frame, but the Pico does well as a pocket gun. It is also small enough that I sometimes carry it along with my J-frame.

·
Administrator
144,132 Posts
Just a tidbit of very early Seecamp history. The very first little Seecamp pistols wore plastic grips that were made of a plastic material that melted when exposed to some gun cleaning solvents. I originally called Seecamp because my grips fused to my pistol. That is when L. Seecamp told me to get send my entire pistol back and he would do a free action job on it. Plus the newer grips. Anyway....that was many moons ago. Great folks back then as I am certain still are. :yup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts