Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years I have been trying to "replace" my Gerber Mk 1 that was "lost" a couple years ago on a trip to a foreign land for fun and games.

I have cried each time I reached my maximum bid on the evil eBay till yesterday. I have watch a good Gerber Mk 1 go for as much as $170 till yesterday when I picked one up for less than $80. Ok I feel bad for the seller, but for me, I am one happy dude.
:danceban:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Good deal Steve - big difference between $170 and $80 :smilez:

Patience wins the day - often does. Oh and - it will needless to say be coming to a good home!

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
The MK1 Yes mine is retired now like me But we visted many places together in those olden days both in uniform and Civ. Just something about them.. That little feeling of comfort they seem to provide.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon as its sharpened it will slip back behind my pistol and back to work (hopefully with less excitement than the last one had).

·
Registered
540 Posts
hassiman said:
I am a big fan of the Gerber MKII Boot knife... especially the older L6 tool steel blades....
Yep, I had one in my helmet bag, it's now in my bug-out-bag.

·
Administrator
143,817 Posts
The Gerber Mark Series

The Gerber Mark Series Knives have all become decently collectible.
I sold one (mine) on Ebay & it fetched me a very decent final price.

Mine was a very early uncommon one that was actually .25" different in length from the more common ones & with unusual sheath stampings.
It was in 99%+ condition (with a few chips to the powder coated handle but with its original - never sharpened - edge. The blade was perfect. The sheath had a couple of scratches. Somebody got a super deal because my particular knife was an early Mark variation.

I believe that CLASS3NH also sold a few of his Gerber Mark knives on Ebay as well.

I sold mine because it was classed as illegal for carry in Pennsylvania since it fell into the stupid "Dagger" restricted knives category.:mad:

I figured that if I couldn't ever legally carry it....then why keep it ???

So...I sold it & never looked back.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Congrats on getting a good deal on a great knife. I have had my Mark I since the 70's, and carry it frequently. The very tip of the point chipped off somewhere along the way, but that seems to happen to most Mark I's that see real use. I ground the chip out and fashioned a new, sharp tip. I can still use it to shave.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
QKShooter said:
The Gerber Mark Series Knives have all become decently collectible.
I sold one (mine) on Ebay & it fetched me a very decent final price.

Mine was a very early uncommon one that was actually .25" different in length from the more common ones & with unusual sheath stampings.
It was in 99%+ condition (with a few chips to the powder coated handle but with its original - never sharpened - edge. The blade was perfect. The sheath had a couple of scratches. Somebody got a super deal because my particular knife was an early Mark variation.

I believe that CLASS3NH also sold a few of his Gerber Mark knives on Ebay as well.

I sold mine because it was classed as illegal for carry in Pennsylvania since it fell into the stupid "Dagger" restricted knives category.:mad:

I figured that if I couldn't ever legally carry it....then why keep it ???

So...I sold it & never looked back.
QK.....I still have a few left too...........the Command I ....and Command II series........a couple of "frisco shivs" and a couple of mechanical activaed kits as well.....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the knife today and boy is it sweet. Not a mark ding or scuff on it and sharp as a tack. It goes with me tomorrow to work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine is the original tool steel model, with serial numbered blade. Yep, as a young, rookie cop who was recently married & having difficulty affording a backup handgun, it was mighty comforting!

I regard it as an old friend (considering it's an inanumate object . . .), and have no plans to sell it!

·
Registered
810 Posts
My wife carried a Gerber Mark 1 in her back pocket for years (handle hidden by her T-shirt). I just ran across that knife this past weekend.
"Old friend" is a good name for that knife. I know that she felt better having it with her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gerber MK I

"Old Friend" it is! I've had mine for over 30 years. I have to be careful in Texas due to the "dagger" description (prohibited in Texas). I finally opted for a Kabar Small Black Tanto for a vehicle knife. Within regs (5 1/2" is max), inexpensive and quite handy if needed for personal defense. Longer blades are OK in Texas if carried while hunting, fishing and "traveling" (now, that one's tricky). Word of advice: Check your State laws regarding knife design and blade length.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gerber mark 1 FOR SALE

Hi,
I Have Just Been Given A Gerber Mark 1 By My Father, I Am Still Serving But Have No Need For Such A Good Blade, It Is Boxed And In Mint Condition, I Am Open To Offers

Mike

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have had mine since '81 or '82, picked it up in the PX in Panama...

can't carry it in Ohio either..:ticking:

used it while aircrew, and in survival situations, (even cut down a couple of trees...:image035: )

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Gerber Mark I's are surely classics. I parted with mine but still have a Guardian. I still have managed to keep my Kershaw Trooper though!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I bought a Gerber in an Air Force BX in 1972. I understand that it is worth a few bucks now. It didn't get to go to Viet Nam, but pulled several alerts UNDER Southeast Arizona (Titan II missile silo)!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ross can't make any gurantees but I will tell you this, I have watched good ones go for as much as $200 on eBay. If you dont want it, you might make a post under "Members Buy Sell Trade" or post it on eBay or GunBroker.com. It should fetch you a decent bill being in the box and in good condition.

I was "visited" about carrying mine due to it being illegal to conceal / carry here in Texas and it was frowned upon for an agent to carry one. I have put mine in my keep forever box for knives, and one day I'll do a shadow box that will have a few nice blades in it.

Now I'll have to find a nice fixed blade to go with my new Browning HP or just keep my CRKT Casper sharp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts