Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been about 6 months since I have had a J frame in my rotation.
I thought I could use one of my 380's as my BUG.
But dumb me I traded off my 380's thinking I needed another gun more.
So that left me with one of my 25acp's for my BUG.
Well I didn't feel confident with a 25 as my BUG so I went looking for the good ole S&W J frame.
I went on Armslist and found just what I wanted a S&W Model 36 Chief.
Come to find out that the Guy that has it for sale is one of my Co-Workers.
Now that is awesome. I will be picking it up tomorrow with a bunch of ammo.
I will never be with out a good BUG ever again. And the Chief Special with be with me 24/7.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I have always had a J-frame in my gun collection for over 42 years. My first was a Colt Detective special although that is not a J-Frame since Colt made it. :) Up until last year I had a SW 642 and an amazingly lightweight 360PD that is the only gun I ever owned that made me bleed. Not even my snubnose .44 mag did that. Now I have two LCRs. One in .357 and the other in .22 mag to practice with and to use as a BUG for when I carry the .357. With Gold Dots in it is nothing to sneeze at and I can handle it well with my left hand and that is important in a gun used as a BUG.

You cannot have too many snub noses. Good find and purchase.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Get smith 642 without the lock while u still can....you'll never be sorry of that purchase.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congratulations.
My 642 is one I'll often put in my pocket. I don't think you'll be sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,434 Posts
The 36 (or 60 in .38 only) is the perfect J frame IMO. A smidge lighter than the current magnum 60's, and two smidges heaver than the airweights. Still light enough for pocket carry if that's an option for you.

And I'll say it - the several extra ounces over the airweights allows you to get back on targert more quickly. In other words - easier recoil management....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
No matter what I carry, the J- Frame will always be my favorite. There is just something about the 442 that does it for me. At one time I had Three of them. Now my wife is eyeing up the one I have left. Crap, am I going to have to buy another 442?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
An airweight with a boot grip is one of my top-3 favorite carry guns.

If only there was a way for it to hold about 5 more rounds of .38 spl...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I switched to speed strips about a year ago. I take them to the range with my snubs an only reload from them you will be amazed how fast you get. I did not even realize the range officer was in back of me a couple of weeks ago an he was surprised at how fast i was reloading. It just becomes second nature. I use two rounds next to each other than a space than two. I can load two at once easy.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Gotta love a j-frame! The most versatile carry gun available. I have several and love them all. 442, 649, 49. Only problem is choosing.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one funny thing about this gun is it use to be mine and I sold it about 7 years ago. I am going too asked my coworker where he bought it. I checked out the serial number and I have the serial number written in my little book.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I love my little 642. It is my summertime shorts and T-shirt EDC when it is too hot for normal cover garments for my 1911.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Looks like a good call on the trade up. good for you enjoy that S&W

·
Banned
770 Posts
I carry the model 36 Chief's special. So many choices out there. I have a colt cobra, a real nice K frame snub and others. But for the last year I have carried my 36. If I carry anything else, I still have the 36 as my primary.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My J frame has a Square Butt and I think it was made in 1969 or 1970. The Square Butt J Frames point shoot for me better than any other handgun.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Also like J frames

I also like J frames, and have the 3 of them below. I use the airweight 642 the most because it conceals well in a pocket.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Beauty may be skin deep, but muzzle flash blinds whoever is looking.

Reactions: PEF
1 - 20 of 29 Posts