Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first time poster. I am going to be going through the process of getting my CCW in Ohio soon. I had some concerns with all the new rules and changes.

First being, under Obama you couldn't get a concealed weapons permit if you were on SSI and the SSI workers had to give names of their clients to Nics. A little backstory. I was shot in the face July last year with a .22 pistol. Person next to me at the range ND'd. A week in the icu and I was out. I couldn't go back to work for a few months so my doctors told me to apply for ssi/disability. I was approved. I didn't even think to try getting my CCW because of Obama's law. I saw a few days ago that Trump got rid of it with an executive order. So can I get my CCW now, despite being on SSI?

All advice is appreciated!

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Check the Federal Register to se if that was done by executive order. If so it should be in effect. If it was part of a congressional bill you need to investigate and see when it becomes law.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the news outlets are saying it was an executive order, along with the NRA. So is it in effect? If I apply and get denied for it, would I feasibly stand a chance for getting it overturned because of the executive order? I'm pretty nervous because my local sheriff is pretty anti-concealed carry for non vets/leo.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hate to admit it, but you need to talk to a lawyer. Since you're on SSI, you might try legal aide.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hate to admit it, but you need to talk to a lawyer. Since you're on SSI, you might try legal aide.
There is nothing on the application for CCW in Ohio about SSI barring you from getting it. I am just worried that Obama's exec order put my name into nics. The only question that comes close is if I was declared mentally deficient, which I have never been.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check, but I seem to recall it is only for those on SSI who cannot mange there own affairs and have a guardian. Just being on SSI for a physical disability but with no other problems that deem you unable to care for yourself doesn't apply as I read it. JMO
Would SSI be considered the "guardian?" I am on it for anxiety from getting shot. I get the checks delivered to my apartment in which I live alone. I manage my own affairs but I'm not sure they see it that way.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Check, but I seem to recall it is only for those on SSI who cannot mange there own affairs and have a guardian. Just being on SSI for a physical disability but with no other problems that deem you unable to care for yourself doesn't apply as I read it. JMO
That's the way I've read it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Being on SSI, can you call legal aid ?
Honestly I have no idea. This whole SSI thing is new to me. I applied after getting shot. Got approved a few months after that. They called me to tell me I was approved. I got a letter in the mail saying how much I would be getting per month and that was that. Now every month I get a check and a pamphlet about going back to work part time on SSI.

·
Super Moderator
19,165 Posts
SSI is just supplemental income and the obama EO does not apply unless you required to have a conservator or guardian to manage your affairs. As long as you can manage your affairs without a guardian you are eligible for a CCW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SSI is just supplemental income and the obama EO does not apply unless you required to have a conservator or guardian to manage your affairs. As long as you can manage your affairs without a guardian you are eligible for a CCW.
I manage all my own affairs so I guess I am in the clear. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
44,702 Posts
You're worrying about nothing. What you stated in your OP is incorrect. Obama's EO was about possessing firearms when mentally incapacitated, not about obtaining a state carry permit. Makes no difference as it's all null and void.

Apply for your permit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're worrying about nothing. What you stated in your OP is incorrect. Obama's EO was about possessing firearms when mentally incapacitated, not about obtaining a state carry permit. Makes no difference as it's all null and void.

Apply for your permit.
On the app it also asks if I have been ordered mentally defective. Does being on SSI for anxiety make me that? Or is that just for people that have been declared that by a judge?

·
Super Moderator
19,165 Posts
On the app it also asks if I have been ordered mentally defective. Does being on SSI for anxiety make me that? Or is that just for people that have been declared that by a judge?
That would only apply if you were involuntarily confined.

·
Registered
44,702 Posts
Reactions: msgt/ret
1 - 20 of 22 Posts