Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had quite a few questions from folks about reloading so I figured I would put this up there for those that want a resource so you can see basically what you need to spend and purchase to start cranking out ammunition. The purpose of this was to make high-quality functional pistol ammunition.

I did not include a tumbler in this because well to be perfectly straight forward I really don't clean my pistol brass anymore. Rifle loading is a different story for but pistol I do not unless it is corroded and then I use a metal media water tumbler. So for those that are looking into getting a press and get started on the Dillon 650 here's a good start. Anybody want to add any recommendations feel free.

Using the set up below I can reload 100 rounds of straight walled pistol ammunition in 7-8 minutes.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Might want to add a scale to your basics page.....you can always use your barrel for a case gauge but guessing at your powder charge......

I also wouldn't consider the 650 in the "basics" of anything.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuck,
Thanks this came out of a PPT presentation I made for getting people into reloading the presentation had about 78 slides, I had a scale on another slide. The title "Basic" was if you go with the 650. I learned on a 550, but the first press I ever purchased was a 650. Really not that hard to learn on.

20 years ago the "Start on a single stage press" was good advice. Now days I don't necessary agree with it if you start with good quality equipment.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Chuck,
Thanks this came out of a PPT presentation I made for getting people into reloading the presentation had about 78 slides, I had a scale on another slide. The title "Basic" was if you go with the 650. I learned on a 550, but the first press I ever purchased was a 650. Really not that hard to learn on.

20 years ago the "Start on a single stage press" was good advice. Now days I don't necessary agree with it if you start with good quality equipment.
RGR, understood!

Chuck

·
Registered
668 Posts
Be sure to check these guys out for your Dillon accessories and upgrades. The LED kit is great. I went with their operating handle as well. Dillon | Inline Fabrication

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My progressive is red, but this is a good presentation just the same. FWIW, some of the items can be purchased from aftermarket suppliers at less cost and equal quality. It is pretty amazing that you can get to the point where you spend more time loading the primer tubes and case feeder, adjusting the powder dispenser, and (when necessary) changing dies than you do actually pulling the handle to produce 100 rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts