Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if there’s an official, universally recognized, definition of this term or not. So, for the purpose of this thread, let’s assume that “getting off the X” means that you’re squared-up against an armed assailant, and then you move as you draw and fire one or two quick shots (possibly from the hip).

When I first started practicing moving, my natural tendency was to step to my left (assailant’s right). However, then I had the thought that since the majority of people are right-handed, by moving to my left, I’m moving more of my body through his line of fire [see 1st photo]. Also, I’d have to move farther, and I’d end up with a sharper shooting angle on the assailant [see 2nd photo]. Therefore, I’ve been practicing moving to my right (assailant’s left) [see 3rd photo].

Has anyone received any professional training that has addressed this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
You take what the attacker gives you. If you can go left and stop the threat, then go left. If going right is the best option then go right. If performing a J hook s you the best chance of winning the perform a J hook. Im sure you see a pattern in my post, learn it from all directions, then practice it....

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I've heard most shooters push their shots, so a right hander misses left. Since about 90% of people are right handed, it's better to move left, if you can, as per Harryball

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
What assumptions are you making?
How close is the attacker? Do they have the drop on you?...etc...

Too dynamic to answer objectively.

Reactions: NYADK and G26Raven

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Move to where your opponents weapon is not pointing, or will be more difficult for him to track your movements.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
go low and to the right.... most people are right handed, and going to your right you'll be moving to his left, go low so ummmm i dunno..'

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I've heard most shooters push their shots, so a right hander misses left. Since about 90% of people are right handed, it's better to move left, if you can, as per Harryball
I've done a handful of IPSC/IDPA type courses in which moving targets complicated the problem. Changing perspective and movement of both the target and me alters the dynamic. I've been forced to go both directions, take a knee, halt behind cover before rapidly covering an intervening space, etc.

Haven't done enough of it to discern whether I'm better or worse in a given direction, with whichever hand. Haven't done much (FoF type) training in which I'm being fired upon while doing so. Can't say with any authority which way would be best. But then, I'd think the "best" choice at a given moment would depend upon the assailant, the ground, any injuries I had, any incompetencies (ie, going left sucks, or awful right-hand accuracy), etc. In short, changing direction can complicate the assailant's calculations. Will it be sufficient? Who can say?

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
If a right handed shooter misses left, then a left handed shooter misses right..wouldn't it be best to stand still and have them miss LOL

Seriously, you are not going to dictate the situation...if you did you wouldn't be in a postion to be drawing your gun. Take the situation as is and learn how to dynamicaly move depending on the situation.Use your SA and develop good habits.

For instance, if you with the theory that moving left is good, you will start to automatically go that way (if you train for it.) Really sucks if there is a car parked to your left or a post. One thing is to find an avenue to escape if possible. You do not want to move into a situation where you would be boxed in

Reactions: AzQkr and hick63

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just recently took class on movement- our instructor demonstrated that in the scenario you have illustrated to move off the x towards the assailants dominant side. I.e. if the shooter is right handed, move to your left. When you move on his weak side, he only has to adjust his point of aim to keep a sight picture, but if you move to his dominant side has to move his whole body. It is more exaggerated the more distance you have. More movement on his part helps disrupt that ooda. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think it is called the Texas side step?? Haha....I would move right if he is right handed or left if he is left handed. Just for the reason you said, you are moving too much of your body across the shot area. I was also told to just turn sideways by an instructor once to give him less area to hit, but later was told by someone else that doing that your vital organs are more exposed doing that even though he has less area to hit, if he does you will more like die from the hit. I'm no expert but moving opposite of his gun seems more logical in my head, but that might be because of my self defense traing that always told me to move opposite of the punch

·
Super Moderator
23,594 Posts
It depends. Venezuelan Bank Robbery

The actual shot has been deleted, but the result is obvious. The cop got off the X, adjusting for the event dynamics.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Go straight up! That will throw him.

go low and to the right.... most people are right handed, and going to your right you'll be moving to his left, go low so ummmm i dunno..'
I wonder, if you go low and to the dominant side - if he's holding the weapon as shown in the pictures - is it an advantage that the gun and hand may block his view of you? Throwing off his OODA loop and all that?

Actually the more I look at the pictures, the more I think "stay on the X and slowly hand over the wallet."

Reactions: AzQkr and Minister

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Tactical backflip is the only legitimate answer to this question. You'd be a fool to do anything else!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What assumptions are you making?
How close is the attacker? Do they have the drop on you?...etc...

Too dynamic to answer objectively.
Well, in the illustrations I attached I'd estimate that the people are 6-7' apart, and the assailant already has his gun drawn.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just recently took class on movement- our instructor demonstrated that in the scenario you have illustrated to move off the x towards the assailants dominant side. I.e. if the shooter is right handed, move to your left. When you move on his weak side, he only has to adjust his point of aim to keep a sight picture, but if you move to his dominant side has to move his whole body. It is more exaggerated the more distance you have. More movement on his part helps disrupt that ooda. Hope that made sense.
[bold added]

But since I'm right-handed too, wouldn't I be in the same boat (moving my whole body as opposed to just adjusting my point of aim)? Did that question come up?

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
It is easier and faster to move your arm to your inside than to your outside. Each situation is different, generally move to the outside of an assailant. Backing away from an assailant with a gun in itself does nothing for you. Which direction is there cover? How far? Which position gives you the position of advantage?

What ever you do you need to do it dynamically and decisively.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts