Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my eyes are not what they used to be, I have problems with practice. I need my cheaters to deal with the sights, but that makes the bulls eye a blurr, at best. There was a day when I was out of the X ring, I knew it and where the round was going. Now all I have is a sense that a bad round went down range; the truth appears upon inspection of the target. Have any of you old timers experienced this and have a remedy?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yup. Best thing is more practice. Muscle memory is your friend. Course, the cold gets to ya more and the dark is darker but hey shooting is still fun.

Try getting real weak readers. I need 2.25 to read but 1.5 readers make things work for practice.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Point shooting eliminates the need for eyes in their sixth decade to rely on the sights...:yup::hand10:

Find some training, it's what this 63 year old (in 3 weeks) did.:redface:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
As much as I hate to confess, Bifocals are great. Proper correction for short distance, and longer distance, less or no correction.
If it were as easy to fix the effects of gravity on the rest of the body, my washboard tummy wouldn't look like a washtub:blink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Three score and eleven here. For my carry, a Kahr CW9, I've added the Crimson Trace laser in a Mitch Rosen fine leather holster on my belt. Works very well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
+1 on the Crimson Trace-now...for that gravity thing....:gah:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've used Crimson trace laser grips, bifocals, reading glasses (not at the same time :wink:). All help, but none give me the eyes I had when I was 20 :frown:. Oh well. Just have to make do.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I ware trifocals and still manage to fit what I aim at.

Learn to shoot smarter and enjoy it more.

·
Super Moderator
24,017 Posts
What does the Ophthalmologist diagnose? That's tends a difference on the "solution". For instance, I had cataracts, and had two variable focal length replacement lenses popped in. That helped me, but I had decent vision before.

The CT is a solution, as is good point shooting, and there are other solutions as well.

I'd see what the expert says.

my washboard tummy wouldn't look like a washtub
That's funny!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got a LaserLyte rear sight laser and it makes things much easier on the aging eyes...

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
It comes with aging. Aches, pains, vision not like it used to be, but as bad as it all is, the alternative really sucks!

To be honest I don't worry about the X ring anymore. As long as I'm placing my rounds in the 4-5 ring, that's all I'm worried about. Now if I was shooting pompetition, that would be different. For SD, my shot placement is where it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Last time I went to the eye doctor, I told him to fit me with progressive lenses with the focus at the center of the lens about 3-1/2 ft from my eyes (distance to front sight). Works great! At the bottom of the lens, I see close up, in the middle, the front sight and at the top, the target. BTW, I'll be 68 next month.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to hi-jack the forum, but my dad (59) had the same problem the last time he was at the range. He soon realized the targets get much clearer if you take the protective film off the safety glasses before you try shooting with them. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Point Shooting was mentioned and I 2nd that.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I had LASIK eye surgery, exchanging my near sighteness for being able to see better, without glasses, at a distance...but then having to use cheap reading glasses at close range. Now, I try to CCW shoot quick with both eyes open, hopin' to hit a target, while trying to resist the left-eye-squitting way that I was trained. My gun sights are likewise blurry at the end of my hand! Still, my guns and I are good enough...maybe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts