Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be it a hurricane, earthquake, etc. , in a situation like NO with society gone wild and you had no running car and had to walk out to safety carrying everything needed (BOB bag, kids, etc.) what guns would you want to protect your butt on the way.
I will have to take my normal CCW a SA 1911 and my AR-15. A few hundred rounds of .223 ammo does not weigh to much.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
For A WALK OUT ?

Good Thread Brian!
Hummmmmmm....My Trusty Combat Commander (that never fails to go bang) or any super reliable Colt pattern pistol.
My Commander is Blue Steel...after watching Waterlogged New Orleans...I would probably opt for a Stainless or plated Colt...if I owned one.
Then I would normally say a 12 gauge shotty but, not for a Walk Out AKA not enough individual bangs for the bulky weight of the shells!

So...I would say my .223 Galil (even though it's heavier than your average AK) because it's indestructible with it's milled receiver & Ultra High Quality Overbuilt Parts - the added weight spells No Recoil in caliber .223 & (unlike most AK-47 pattern evil weapons) it's an incredibly accurate tack driver.

THEN...I (for sure) would add a small STAINLESS S&W .22 rimfire revolver BECAUSE...having that would give me a few hundred more rounds of available emergency ammo for almost no additional weight gain.

I'm open for other suggestions though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Concealed .357 revolver, and BUG. Leave the long gun behind it will just draw attention and notice from the authorities.

MAYBE a non-threatening style longarm like a pump shotgun or lever carbine, but an "assault rifle" has too much baggage attached.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
That's a valid point tanksoldier

I'll need to ponder on that because I have already thought about this a bit recently. I guess so much would depend on the exact scenario.
Actually, when I am speaking of "walk out" (for myself)...I am taking "walk out" to just mean "on foot" ~ not necessarily in open, public, or day-time view.
I am thinking more in the way of a clandestine & careful "sneak out" - as VS an ordinary walk away from the event.
I am best guessing that if I spot the "powers that be" before they spot me I can jettison the long gun & then retrieve it if necessary.
It's an interesting thread topic & something for me to seriously think about.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
tanksoldier said:
Concealed .357 revolver, and BUG. Leave the long gun behind it will just draw attention and notice from the authorities.

MAYBE a non-threatening style longarm like a pump shotgun or lever carbine, but an "assault rifle" has too much baggage attached.
I believe I agree with this, too. I would leave the rifle and, instead, carry both of my 1911s and my .22 Colt (probably have my wife carry it). I would also probably opt for the shotgun, as well. Sounds like we have all been thinking about this type of thing lately.... :wink:

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I like the idea of the lever carbine. With a 30-30 you wouldn't draw those 'stares' or the attention of the authorities so much as with an (Oh God) 'assualt weapon'. The rifle will drop anything you point it at at, any range out to 200 yds or so. A shotgun won't do that as well.

I would also carry both my 1911's and lots of mags.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If I have to walk, and have any luxury as far as time is concerned, I'll wait until nightfall.

I have night vision and lots of extra batteries.

The average looter won't even see me as I leave wherever I've holed up.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
acparmed said:
I like the idea of the lever carbine. With a 30-30 you wouldn't draw those 'stares' or the attention of the authorities so much as with an (Oh God) 'assualt weapon'.
I was thinking that is an easy question to answer...... Do to the limited amount of weapons currently available. I would have to use my 30-30 since it's currently the only "long gun" I own, unless tou want to count a 45 cal. flintlock........ A little slow to reload. :biggrin:

The hand gun part is also easy, my SIG P-226, and have the wife carry the 239.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Me & G3 up front, my wife with the Steyr bolt in back (much lighter!!). Move at dusk & dawn. If you "don't like what you see", leave us alone.

Depends on who you meet, but bearing and attitude go a long way- its easier to let someone who seems capable/in charge go by, than to occupy scarce resources trying to hold them.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Makes a fella think Brian - good subject. Yes - one of course on our minds of late and I mentioned to wife on this - as we both knew that if we had to we'd be headin' out on foot as against just staying put.

But we would be toting that's for sure and this thinking re ''what we look like'' - when it comes to EBR stuff - is valid - whether we like it or not.

I would naturally have SIG on board - and plenty of loaded mags. I would choose to let Mrs P95 carry the AK (she would also have her M85 purse snub.) but heck - it looks so mean!. I would choose the FAL, despite weight of it and ammo - also maybe looks too mean!.

But thinking of perhaps more ''sensible'' approach, then Bob's mention of lever is a good one. Something so ''traditional'' and backwoods in appearance will not look as overtly hostile. If I went that route then I guess wife will tote Win 94 in .357 and I'll have the Marlin 94 in .44 mag.

Good prod this thread - I shall review all options in more detail.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
If i went with a lever gun i would use my 375 winchest only one i got and if your gonna go might as well go big its good for 7 rounds

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Full camo , ruck and my USP and AR-15. 40 yard walk to the woods from my house. I can travel for miles this way. Need to cross a few roads, but shouldn't be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
If i have to "walk out" in a crowd and Im worried about looking "hostile"...

I may have to resort to "urban camoflage"...

If ever I feel the need to "hide" my stuff...probably due to overseazlous LEO types that think because its a crisis that they can do whatever they want...

I'll probably wear levis with holes in them and a dirty t-shirt,beat up tennis shoes and at least a couple of days growth of beard. Im going to blend in with the refugees and whine like the rest of them about how hungry or thirsty I am. Im going to look as unprepeared as the other 99 percent of the population. I may even blame "crisis" on the President... :silly:

In my alice pack, I'll have my short barrelled .300 Whisper AR15 broken into half with one pin attached in case I need it in a hurry.My suppressor wil lbe there for the scarce occasion that a quiet shot in the dark may be needed. My SIG will be in the small of my back and in my pack will have the usuall assortment of MRE's, water filtration and of course ammo. Firemaking stuff, a poncho ,some line and a couple of knives along with few flashlights. My night vison goes with me. It dosent need batterys to work. Im going to stay as low profile as I can be while I get to my "other" destination.

Hopefully, the attention will be focused on the guys with the rifles while I'll be slipping out unnoticed... :wink:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
HG has just in a sense reminded me - when staying real ''lo-pro'' ....... I know a .22 ain't much but - my lil' Papoose breaks down and is a cinch to hide - that, some mags and a box of ammo - sure ain't gonna take up too much space and heck - it at least would be a dissuader!!

Hmmm - has it's uses.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Hotguns, ya ever try wearing your pistol SOB and a ALICE pack? Doesn't sound comfortable to me.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
It would be uncomfortable with a full frame and a kidney belt. Otherwise, its not a problem.

For long hauls the frame is definatley better. About the only way to wear one like that is on the hip. Shoulder carry dont get it cause the straps interfere with each other unless its a military rig that you can pull around the front of you.

I dont think its a good idea to store ALL of your guns in the pack. You want at least one for quick access. If you set the pack down for a few minutes (or when you are sleeping) at least you wont be totally defensless if you always keep one one you.

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Ankle Carry

ANKLE CARRY was absolutely OUT as a "Mode Of Carry" for New Orleans.
Unless...(Of Course) you ankle carried a Glock Pistol...which would still continue to function no matter how much yuck & muck you waded through.

There...I beat you Glockers to the punch & replied for you. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I reckon high sho rig would have been safest carry mode there!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts