Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me weak minded, paranoid, etc. I'm still working on my comfort with carrying a service-size pistol (H&K P2000) as a CCW.

Right now I carry it at 3:00 using an IWB Black Arch Ace 1 Gen 2. I love it. I wear a serious gun belt, and for shirts, I wear flannels, outdoor shirts, or looser polos as everyday workwear.

And let me be clear, I want to carry full size. 13+1 in one draw, yes, please. I also have thousands of rounds through this pistol, and at this point, firing it is like breathing.

But. I still have that paranoia that it's completely obvious there is a bulge near my ass.

Did I mention I'm a research scientist at a University? Campus carry is legal, but most of the professors, scientists, and grad students here are not gun attuned or comfortable. Several of them abhor campus carry. They definitely aren't from Texas.

Our differing views on CC/guns aside, I like many of them as friends, and even more as colleagues. They generally know I am a shooter, they don't know whether or not I CC on campus. I don't want there to be a rift by someone noticing a bulge.

Anyway, TL:DR, how did you finally say "screw it" and be comfortable CC a full size pistol?

·
Super Moderator
24,630 Posts
I just Do It.

Really.

I started with a Glock 17.

You'll be fine. Really. Are you Tenured yet? Tenure track? That might effect my decision, personally.

Now I carry a government 1911.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Friendships or not, you are legally allowed to carry. Let them deal with it.

That said, your concern is understandable. If you carry directly at 3:00, consider sliding to 3:30 or 4:00. Depending on your sirloin girth, you might be surprised at how much less you print that way (even OWB).

Reactions: OlympicViking

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
Ever since I started carrying as a civilian I have carried 1911s, never thought twice about it. The vast majority of people have such tunnel vision that unless something bumps them on the nose they will never notice it.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Your safety and your comfort should not ever be dependent on the comfort of others around you. If you ever have to pull that weapon to confront an active shooter situation there and win the day, they're likely to change their minds real quick provided they are just die hard anti-gunners. Perhaps if it bothers you that much, change the position of your carry.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
If you carry directly at 3:00, consider sliding to 3:30 or 4:00. Depending on your sirloin girth, you might be surprised at how much less you print that way (even OWB).
This. I carry nothing but mid to full size pistols. Most often a P229, but sometimes a P227 or FS P320. Even a 92FS on occasion. Moving it to the 4:00 makes all the difference in the world. I carry IWB tucked 5 days a week at work, and OWB with un-tucked flannels and the like the rest of the time. I have no known issues. I conceal large framed guns well enough that I rarely step down to a single stack or pocket gun as a primary.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
You can carry and conceal anything you want with enough effort, but some guns were not designed for CC.
Service sized guns being just what they are; designed for service, which usually leaves out CC requirements by design.

i got over this a long time ago by buying a battery of guns that were purposes designed for their intended role, and stopped trying to make square pegs fit rounded holes.

I carry full size when I can, and when I can't, ( you can interpret that as don't want the hassle or discomfort) I carry something sensible for my dress and activity requirements.

You will hear varied opinions, some suggesting they carry full sized 24/7. Show me someone who really does that, and I'll show you someone with no life, or a very low activity lifestyle, unless it's in regards to OC only.

You will hear about the reduced capabilities of the smaller gun. To this I say BS, regardless of what I may carry, it does not effect MY capabilities.

If you can make it work, more power to you, and that is great.

But for me, too many years of carry has taught me that a person can get guncentric and forget to live.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just Do It.

Really.

I started with a Glock 17.

You'll be fine. Really. Are you Tenured yet? Tenure track? That might effect my decision, personally.

Now I carry a government 1911.
Thanks!

Not tenure track; research scientist who runs a laboratory (uniquely qualified to repair/operate exotic instrumentation). PhD, I get to have all the fun without the hassles that come with tenure track.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
If it's just a capacity concern driving a full size desire (13+1 comment) there are smaller guns with that capacity. If it's a desire for a long slide, big grip, and heft of a full size for recoil reduction, then sure a full size fits the bill.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Friendships or not, you are legally allowed to carry. Let them deal with it.

That said, your concern is understandable. If you carry directly at 3:00, consider sliding to 3:30 or 4:00. Depending on your sirloin girth, you might be surprised at how much less you print that way (even OWB).
I actually realized I carry at 4, not 3. End of the day brain fart. I have the holster positioned so that no part of the firearm bulges to my side, and I'm not overweight at all. See pic. Typical work wear, typically dirty after a day (always a Friday!) of significant instrument repair.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have various size of handguns. Very rarely do I find it the right day to try and conceal a full size service weapon. I can miss just as good with a compact gun as I can with a full size gun!:embarassed:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, I carry a full sized 5" 1911 with no problem.

It's not difficult to carry a full sized pistol, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, I carry a full sized 5" 1911 with no problem.

It's not difficult to carry a full sized pistol, it is just a matter of getting used to it.
Getting used to it is one thing. Keeping it concealed at work around the same people day in and day out is impossible.

Reactions: Chuck R. and G-man*

·
Registered
681 Posts
Call me weak minded, paranoid, etc. I'm still working on my comfort with carrying a service-size pistol (H&K P2000) as a CCW
Hey OP, I'm not doubting you at all. I just don't know a lot about H&K's and from the pic it's hard to tell. How big is that H&K. It looks more like a compact but like I said I can't really tell.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I got over it quickly because in my world I don't care if I might occasionally print - it's no big deal and no one knows for sure what's under my t-shirt anyway.

I do carry mid-size and full-size pistols whenever I am out and about.

Your situation is certainly more "sensitive" than my own and only you can come to terms with how you will deal with the subject when it comes up with your colleagues. If you're entirely legal, that should help you get with it fairly easily. If you think it may damage your work status, then that's an entirely different thing and making certain that you don't print is much more important.

It is not difficult to conceal a full size pistol while wearing shorts and a quality-weight t-shirt. As long as your shirt isn't worn girly-tight like the wee mans do.

Full size Sig P320 .40, with 14+1=15 rounds of 180 gr HST, tucks away pretty nicely with a High Noon Bare Asset holster.

Appendix carry (NOT for the squeamish, nor for the careless) conceals exceptionally well.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
I consider these videos to be educational as well as entertaining. I figure my waistline is even less likely to be noticed. (The cop at the end is great, btw.)

Warning: nudity... um, kinda, arguably...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Call me weak minded, paranoid, etc. I'm still working on my comfort with carrying a service-size pistol (H&K P2000) as a CCW.

Right now I carry it at 3:00 using an IWB Black Arch Ace 1 Gen 2. I love it. I wear a serious gun belt, and for shirts, I wear flannels, outdoor shirts, or looser polos as everyday workwear.

And let me be clear, I want to carry full size. 13+1 in one draw, yes, please. I also have thousands of rounds through this pistol, and at this point, firing it is like breathing.

But. I still have that paranoia that it's completely obvious there is a bulge near my ass.

Did I mention I'm a research scientist at a University? Campus carry is legal, but most of the professors, scientists, and grad students here are not gun attuned or comfortable. Several of them abhor campus carry. They definitely aren't from Texas.

Our differing views on CC/guns aside, I like many of them as friends, and even more as colleagues. They generally know I am a shooter, they don't know whether or not I CC on campus. I don't want there to be a rift by someone noticing a bulge.

Anyway, TL:DR, how did you finally say "screw it" and be comfortable CC a full size pistol?
If they are truly your friends you legally carrying should not be a problem for them. If it is a problem for them then they are not truly your friends. I have lots of friends that have vastly different opinions than I do on several things. Our friendship lasts because know one tries to cram there values down the others throats

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey OP, I'm not doubting you at all. I just don't know a lot about H&K's and from the pic it's hard to tell. How big is that H&K. It looks more like a compact but like I said I can't really tell.
It could be considered more like a Glock 19 than a 17.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts