Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a class that goes on during the week. the only thing i am finding is doing this on weekends and i am unable to do this. i am near the richmond area so any advice will be great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is about 3-4hrs from me do you know of one in the richmond area?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't want to set off a debate on the merits, but VA accepts online classes now. There is one at Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute. It is decent on safety and where you can carry, but doesn't really touch the rules of engagement or legal aftermath. And of course, no range qualification. If you feel sufficiently educated on these issues through forums and other reading, and have a lot of range time under your belt anyway, you may want to just do the online class.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I pm'd you a name and number of a guy that does one on one.
I've used him a number of times and he's excellent and very reasonable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for this info. i want to do this class so i learn the legal aspect more and the up to date laws and all. my range time is easy i just walk into the back yard and shoot at my targets.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you're former military, a DD214 will work.
Southern Gun World near Midlothian Tpk. should be able to help.
Bob Moats may be too. At least get some info.
In Colonial Heights at Straight Shooters, they do it durning the week.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Don't want to set off a debate on the merits, but VA accepts online classes now. There is one at Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute. It is decent on safety and where you can carry, but doesn't really touch the rules of engagement or legal aftermath. And of course, no range qualification. If you feel sufficiently educated on these issues through forums and other reading, and have a lot of range time under your belt anyway, you may want to just do the online class.
Man, I'm not too sure about this one. I feel every student should demonstrate safe handling of their weapon and at least pass a live fire qualification.

Admittedly, I noticed a few bad habits that my instructor made during the course. Oh well, “In youth we learn, in age we understand”
Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
NRA pistol classes also qualify, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Behind Southern Gun World on Midlothian Turnpike is the Dominion Shooting Range (106 Turner Road). They rent out their classroom all the time to CCW and private security schools. Stop by and check out the bulletin board (or ask).

FWIW: I otherwise avoid Dominion since they've adopted the greedy practice of requiring that we shoot only ammo purchased from them, at a premium.

Rob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts