Haven't shot it yet, but will this weekend.
1. Price: $429
2. Fit and finish: Excellent...very tight for a "mil spec" pistol. I know, I know...what mil-spec pistol has a ramped bull barrel...
3. Trigger: Slight take up, maybe a little heavy for target shooting, but certainly in a nice range for carry...clean break too
My other 1911 is a lwt compact; obviously very different. I find that I really like the feel of the arched mainspring and full length grip, even though I have pretty small hands. We'll see if this changes after a few hundred rounds.
I do plan on having a few things done to the piece: This is where it gets fun, or anxious, depending on how you look at it. I want to retain the classic look, but want some understated features to enhance shooting and carry.
1. As this will be a carry gun, the one thing I'm sure of is a bobbed grip. I've held a few Kobra carry pistols and the conversion sorta feels like an arched MS to me...plus, I think I'll need the added concealability.
2. Another sure thing will be some dehorning, since it will need refinishing anyway...this thing is real sharp...mainly to save some wear on my Brommeland holsters.
3. Depending on how bad it bites, I may bob the hammer too.
4. Sights...these are small of course. If I change 'em, I'll do the Mil-spec sights, or possibly the YB retro's...somethign that won't require machining the rear.
5. Possibly an unobtrusive extended thumb safety...we'll see.
I like the grips, and I'll modify them for the bobtail, but grips are like clothes...sometimes you gotta change 'em. Where I'm torn is on the finish. I love the parked look, but I also love the polished blue/ivory grip look. I'll have to decide on that before anything happens.
Anybody who has done any of these mods, please feel free to post your experiences and pics. I am determined to do it right the first time.