Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whaddaya think on these? I have no clue.

Colt Police Positive .22 WRF Serial# 32xx
Finish wear on barrel, light rust on top strap but mechanically very good (I would say like new but I am no expert)

S&W .22 MRF Serial # K4044xx
Looks nearly new. Some holster wear on the tip of the barrel but otherwise flawless. Mechanically feels like new.

It is obvious that neither of these have been fired much. The mechanicals on both are crisp and positive.

Hand tool Revolver Tool Wood Gun barrel
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Administrator
Nice.
Condition..."Like New" tends to differ greatly/widely depending on if one is the seller or the buyer.
It has always been that way. 馃槈
Just FYI.

Registered
you would do well to get a copy of the blue book for guns. I think you can go to the website and for a few dollars buy 24 hour access.

Registered
Neither of these fit the NRA condition guides description of like new.
Here's a link to the standard the NRA has published for years.
The Colt would rate Good Condition, and the S&W a Very Good Condition.
Both look like good old guns. From your pic's and without a serial lookup, I would be looking to pay between $600 to 800 each. I took those prices from Gunbroker sold guns in the last year. With 4" or shorter barrels the price would be up some. The price of guns has been very fluid the last couple years. So it makes setting an accurate price difficult. But that's a best guess at a retail price. Good Luck DR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neither of these fit the NRA condition guides description of like new.
Here's a link to the standard the NRA has published for years.
The Colt would rate Good Condition, and the S&W a Very Good Condition.
Both look like good old guns. From your pic's and without a serial lookup, I would be looking to pay between $600 to 800 each. I took those prices from Gunbroker sold guns in the last year. With 4" or shorter barrels the price would be up some. The price of guns has been very fluid the last couple years. So it makes setting an accurate price difficult. But that's a best guess at a retail price. Good Luck DR
Thanks for your response. I am not a collector, nor professional appraiser. I understand that I used the phrase "like new". Perhaps I was not clear but I was referring to the trigger action, not the overall condition of the guns. The actions feel "like new" having a good lock-up and timing is right on. Yes, the Colt has maybe 50% bluing and the S&W has some holster wear on the first 1/4" of the barrel. I agree with your ratings of the conditions of both.

I understand the fluidity of gun prices, these days, and the difficulty of pinning it down. I appreciate your effort to make sense of this.
Your appraisal seems fair and reasonable and I thank you for your time.

Since my first post, I looked up the S/N for the guns and discovered that the Smith was made in 1960.
The Colt was made in 1910 and was the first year of production for the Police Positive and It may have added value with that consideration.

Registered
The Colt is definitely of collector interest, but condition is marginal for the more high-grade collectors. The early production date and being a target revolver variation make it a desirable piece to fill a niche in a Colt collection. The .22WRF cartridge is now pretty rare, not regularly produced for many years, so not something a shooter would have a lot of interest in. I would estimate about $750 to $850, but I can see a collector jumping up to $1000 or so to fill that space in his PP collection.

The S&W is considered modern, but is very early in the transition period from "named models" to "frame identities" (K-frame in this case), 3-screw, pinned barrel. Moderate collector interest simply because it is pre-1980 and .22 magnum. Probably more interest from knowledgeable shooter/accumulators who value the pre-1980 pieces more highly than modern production. I'm thinking $800-plus. Open the cylinder and look at the markings on the frame under the yoke, should include a Model number, which would likely catch the eye of the knowledgeable collectors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open the cylinder and look at the markings on the frame under the yoke, should include a Model number, which would likely catch the eye of the knowledgeable collectors.
Thank you for this additional information. Very interesting.

The markings under the crane are: (the S/N, plus these) MOD-48 10834 & 1

Registered
Thank you for this additional information. Very interesting.

The markings under the crane are: (the S/N, plus these) MOD-48 10834 & 1
MOD-48 tells you that you have an original Model 48. Later variants would display a "dash" and another number to indicate engineering changes made during the production cycles over the years. S&W collectors would refer to this as a "NO DASH" Model 48, and this fact alone will bump the collector value a bit if compared to a 48-1, 48-2, or other later variant.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MOD-48 tells you that you have an original Model 48. Later variants would display a "dash" and another number to indicate engineering changes made during the production cycles over the years. S&W collectors would refer to this as a "NO DASH" Model 48, and this fact alone will bump the collector value a bit if compared to a 48-1, 48-2, or other later variant.
Thanks again, retired badge 1. I might be confusing you with another member here, but I think that you could have been active on Leatherworker. If so, I learned a lot from you there, too.
Regardless, I always enjoy your posts and view you as a solid guy who knows his stuff.

Registered
Thanks again, retired badge 1. I might be confusing you with another member here, but I think that you could have been active on Leatherworker. If so, I learned a lot from you there, too.
Regardless, I always enjoy your posts and view you as a solid guy who knows his stuff.
Thanks, friend. On leatherworker.net I am "Lobo". My company (1972 to 2015) was Lobo Gun Leather, now owned by the Fedders family in Ely, Minnesota (good people!). A few good ideas over the years, and a lot of mistakes while pounding a ton of hides into holsters and accessories.

Super Moderator
Thanks for your response. I am not a collector, nor professional appraiser. I understand that I used the phrase "like new". Perhaps I was not clear but I was referring to the trigger action, not the overall condition of the guns. The actions feel "like new" having a good lock-up and timing is right on. Yes, the Colt has maybe 50% bluing and the S&W has some holster wear on the first 1/4" of the barrel. I agree with your ratings of the conditions of both.

I understand the fluidity of gun prices, these days, and the difficulty of pinning it down. I appreciate your effort to make sense of this.
Your appraisal seems fair and reasonable and I thank you for your time.

Since my first post, I looked up the S/N for the guns and discovered that the Smith was made in 1960.
The Colt was made in 1910 and was the first year of production for the Police Positive and It may have added value with that consideration.
The Police Positive was introduced in 1907. Don't know whether .22 WRF was offered as a chambering that first year or coukd have come out later.

Cool gus fod sure! Sounds like others have already accurately pegged the market value of these two fine revolvers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts