Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive the pun... but I couldn't resist...

So.... I have a dillema.... Looks like I will have about 500 to spend on a new gun.... Got a variety currently and my daily carry is XDs 45 with a 3.3 barrel, sometimes xd45 4" or a 4"1911. As much as I love 1911s for a variety of reasons I carry it the least.... I love the slimness of the 1911 along with the straight pull trigger but.... Well life is complicated and let's leave it at that.

So now I'm tempted to pickup a 4" xds 45. Why? Slimness, familiarity with the platform.... I probably would still mainly carry the 3.3" one but would like to have the ability to extend out to the 4" one (depending on where I go and so on) for primary and have the 3.3 as the secondary (yes - it actually pockets real nice). Same mags as xds... Variety of reasons make it an obvious choice but..... Something in the back of my mind is making me ask if I didn't overlook anything out there?

I'm not a fan of Glock - don't take me wrong, I don't think they're a bad gun, I shoot them from time to time and I'm pretty good with them as well, but I have not met a model that sat right in my hand (and to date I think I shot all of the models in 45 caliber )....

M&P I actually like... But different mags.... Do I really wanna go there?

Btw I know that there are folks who hate XDs... Fine... I don't..... Don't come in here trash talking them as I had in the past 12+ years quite a few of them with one that I have for over 10 years with probably close to 20K rounds through it and it runs like a champ with regular maintenance....

So with that said.... Sell me on other options why they're good rather then on why mine is bad...

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
I think yours is a good option. The XDs is a great gun. If you want an alternative, I do know a lot of people really like the .45 Shield. I am a DA/SA guy and I am personally interested in the Bersa TPRc series. I would go with the 9mm or the .40, but they make a .45, the TPR45c.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Can't help you, really ..... although I did look at the Springfield site and couldn't seem to find an XD-S in .45 with a 4" barrel.
My HK is 0.48 wider than your XD-S ..... and I'd stick by my HK, so I really can't help you find anything to argue against the XD-S.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm pretty sure the XDE .45 will use XDs mags and it will give you a SA/DA option in that line of pistols, you can look for a Sig P220 Carry , it's a single stack, little thicker than the 1911, you might get lucky and find one in the $500 range, striker fired compact .45 non-Glock the only one I would recommend is the S&W Shield and you can get it with a 4" barrel .

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
I have three .45 Shields, so it's not like I really have a preference. Two are production models, and one is a Performance Center 4" with a red dot. I carry them all at various times.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
.45 Shield would be the top of my list although I have seen recently some older no rail Sig P-220's in that price range which would be VERY tempting! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have nothing against the XD line as a firearm. My issue is with Springfield Armory selling out to the terrorist traitors in the Illinois government. But if you're familiar with the manual of arms, why mix things up? When I choose my EDC, the XDs was one of my 2 finalists. It only lost because I found a deal on the Shield first.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Forgive the pun... but I couldn't resist...

So.... I have a dillema.... Looks like I will have about 500 to spend on a new gun.... Got a variety currently and my daily carry is XDs 45 with a 3.3 barrel, sometimes xd45 4" or a 4"1911. As much as I love 1911s for a variety of reasons I carry it the least.... I love the slimness of the 1911 along with the straight pull trigger but.... Well life is complicated and let's leave it at that.

So now I'm tempted to pickup a 4" xds 45.
Good luck. Not sure now when Springfield dropped them. A year or 3 ago. Too bad. I think it makes a lot of sense.

Btw I know that there are folks who hate XDs... Fine... I don't.....
Like my XDS-s just fine. Just usually end up carrying something else lately.

So with that said.... Sell me on other options why they're good rather then on why mine is bad...
I hear good things about the S&W Shield .45.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Another vote for the Shield 45. It is a great carry gun and with a couple of extra mags, I never feel limited in any way. I would have to rate it as a toss up alongside my 1911 and Glock 30S for shootability.

Concealable? It leaves all other 45's in the dust.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I'd go .45 Shield and call it a day. I personally think it is the best of the bunch. I'm *probably* through buying polymer .45's....unless I run across another USP or USPc at a good price.:wink:

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
I'd go .45 Shield and call it a day. I personally think it is the best of the bunch. I'm *probably* through buying polymer .45's....unless I run across another USP or USPc at a good price.:wink:
My slimmer and trimmer physique combined with now build-appropriate outerwear makes single stack carry much easier to carry and conceal effectively. There is nothing my double-stackers accomplish for me that the Shields don't do better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My experience with the 45ACP in various handguns goes back (56Years) staring at MCRD Parris Island SC up to the present day. A judgment using a sample of one as opposed to multiple samples is statistically not a valid comparison of the product. My example of the 45ACP Shield was more useful as a paperweight than a weapon thus was sent to S&W under warranty. Returned to me and still would not function properly. The problem occurred with multiple OEM magazines employed and various brands of ammunition from Federal, Winchester and Etcetera. That's my story!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My carry is the HK 45c. Others are nice but not my cup of tea. :vs_cool:

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I'm still in "love" with my (kind of) new Colt LW Commander, but if I get another polymer pistol it'll be a Shield .45. I have the Shield 9, and it's been a good 'un for sure. Everyone that has a Shield .45 seems to like it even better than the 9.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I would def check the CA handgun chart first unless you are exmpt from it ...As a number of guns being brought forth here will not be cheep to get in CA unless you are allowed "off book" guns

I would add Sig line a 220 compact or 245 would be a great gun and the plus is no mag envey as they top out at 10 so no pinning for mags you cant own ...Very good guns and with a SRT trigger amazing shooting irons

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
My 45 Shield is like shooting a full size pistol. My son's XDS 45 is like shooting a tiny 45. The Shield is so soft and easy to shoot accurately. I can shoot the XDS well, but after one mag I don’t want to.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts