Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Maybe four years ago, I wanted a nice compact or subcompact .45ACP so I bought a new Glock 30s then did my requisite Glock mods. Really a very nice gun but for the life of me I couldn't shoot it worth a damn, try as I might. So I sold it and bought a new M&P 40c, had the Apex Tactical DCAEK installed but kept the stock OEM trigger spring in place and have never looked back. This gun is a great shooter for the powerful .40S&W cartridge and I highly recommend it. Mine, of course, is not the M2.0 version but that doesn't matter one iota to me with this gun. If you can find one, see how it feels and what you think of it.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-40-m20-subcompact-no-thumb-safety

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes - I'm exempt from the list which is why I turned here to some opinions as I dont really have easy access to try a variety without buying them first 😉

I found a source for the 4" xds but as I said I'm curious of other options 😉

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
My 45 Shield is like shooting a full size pistol. My son's XDS 45 is like shooting a tiny 45. The Shield is so soft and easy to shoot accurately. I can shoot the XDS well, but after one mag I don’t want to.
My Shield .45s have significantly less perceived recoil than my Glock 21.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
My experience with the 45ACP in various handguns goes back (56Years) staring at MCRD Parris Island SC up to the present day. A judgment using a sample of one as opposed to multiple samples is statistically not a valid comparison of the product. My example of the 45ACP Shield was more useful as a paperweight than a weapon thus was sent to S&W under warranty. Returned to me and still would not function properly. The problem occurred with multiple OEM magazines employed and various brands of ammunition from Federal, Winchester and Etcetera. That's my story!
what was the issue?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I have had the XDS-45 4 Inch barrel since it came out. I really like it. It is still very thin, but I consider it a medium size handgun overall. It shoots much better than the 3.3, in my experience. A little longer barrel and the extra weight makes it shoot much easier. A little extra sight radius is a plus too.

So what I wanted was a medium size, yet very thin 45 ACP pistol with the ability to use different length magazines based on attire. I didn't need a pocket pistol. It has been great in the role that I purchased it for.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
My Shield .45s have significantly less perceived recoil than my Glock 21.
Yeah and on paper, that makes no sense at all. When I took my 45 Shield to the range for the first time to wring it out, I was expecting a bear. But it really surprised me; I mean really surprised me. Very manageable and not at all what I was expecting.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
gonna go with the .45 Shield. I have the 9mm XDs which I freaking love, but in .45acp, the Shield is just too good to pass up. If you wait until the buying craze is over you can pick them up for around $350 or you can find them now for $550.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
Yeah and on paper, that makes no sense at all. When I took my 45 Shield to the range for the first time to wring it out, I was expecting a bear. But it really surprised me; I mean really surprised me. Very manageable and not at all what I was expecting.
Surprising to the point of baffling for me. It makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Surprising to the point of baffling for me. It makes absolutely no sense.
The G21 is the second softest shooting 45 I have owned and I have owned 1911,P220,P227,Full size EAA Witness and a S&W 4506 which was the softest by far and at about 40 ounces was not surprising.
You guys are making me want to try this Shield 45. I may have to find a rental.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have the Shield and the XDE, both in 9mm and 45.

Being a hammer guy, I prefer the XDE, but if the Shield had a hammer, it would be my favorite by a long shot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am amazed every time I shoot the little .45 Shield, how the heck is it so easy to shoot and shoot well!
If they had a PC .45 Shield with a safety I would pick one up in a heartbeat, probably just upgrade the sights on mine and call it good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what was the issue?
Failure to consistently feed/chamber rounds with multiple occurrences in (6) different S&W OEM magazines employed. These instances even occurred with 230Gr-FMJ. I have (56) Years of experience with multiple different handguns Colt - SIG - Glock & S&W Gen3 firing 45ACP and the 45-Shield was the most perplexing example of problematic!

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
My experience with the 45ACP in various handguns goes back (56Years) staring at MCRD Parris Island SC up to the present day. A judgment using a sample of one as opposed to multiple samples is statistically not a valid comparison of the product. My example of the 45ACP Shield was more useful as a paperweight than a weapon thus was sent to S&W under warranty. Returned to me and still would not function properly. The problem occurred with multiple OEM magazines employed and various brands of ammunition from Federal, Winchester and Etcetera. That's my story!
You are the second member here to report similar problems. I too have found S&W customer service to be somewhere around worthless on the occasions I have had dealings with them.

I own three of the .45 Shields. The only problem I've had functionally was with one that failed to maintain structural integrity under the pressures of a kydex holster press. Until detected and corrected, slide function was unreliable. Since the repair, no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Failure to consistently feed/chamber rounds with multiple occurrences in (6) different S&W OEM magazines employed. These instances even occurred with 230Gr-FMJ. I have (56) Years of experience with multiple different handguns Colt - SIG - Glock & S&W Gen3 firing 45ACP and the 45-Shield was the most perplexing example of problematic!
I have owned ten Smith and Wesson M&P pistols and still own eight of them. Every one of these guns has been flawless and certainly worth owning. Have never had a problem with any of them.

·
Premium Member
33,788 Posts
I have owned ten Smith and Wesson M&P pistols and still own eight of them. Every one of these guns has been flawless and certainly worth owning. Have never had a problem with any of them.
I have no doubt that the occasional problem child slips by quality control, and that S&W can be lacking on customer service. S&W still owes me a replacement red dot that I simply gave up on.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have no doubt that the occasional problem child slips by quality control, and that S&W can be lacking on customer service. S&W still owes me a replacement red dot that I simply gave up on.
Completely agree. It's virtually impossible to produce a man-made mechanical item where every one of them, in the hundreds of thousands of units, will be 100% devoid of any problems.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts