Defensive Carry banner

Given a choice, would you have a pistol grip on a tactical shotgun?

• Yes, I would definitely have a pistol grip.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • No, I would not have a pistol grip.

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue to research shotguns for home defense, one of the questions I have is, is it worth having a pistol grip on a tactical shotgun for home defense. So far, I have not come up with a definitive answer for having a pistol grip on a shotgun. Does it help reduce recoil (which I think is a good thing)? Does it make the weapon more accurate? Is it a good idea or a gimmick? What are your thoughts on this?

I've taken one tactical shotgun class which was pretty short (half a day). I hunt birds with a Benelli M2 Field.

Shotguns on my list at this point are the Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical, the new IWI Tavor, and if I win the lottery, the Benelli M4.

Mossberg Low Res.jpg

Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I chose to not have a pistol grip. I don't see a big advantage and my perception is that the recoil goes into your wrist whereas it might otherwise get absorbed by your should. Just my experience.

·
Vendor
1,548 Posts
I don't like a pistol grip on the forarm as it feels very unnatural to me but I've not really ever had a pererance or been able to tell much difference on the stock with a pistol grip.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the tactical cool , I have shotguns around the house for defense , all are standard everyday pump shotguns with short deer barrels & OO buck ...

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I have shot with the pistol grip and I did not like it.
Did not feel natural to me.
Maybe i did not give it a chance as I have been shooting traditional shotguns for decades.
Probably best to try a few out and see what feels best for you.
I see no advantage.
By the way I just got a Mossberg Retrograde and it ROCKS! Old school looks and feel

·
Registered
686 Posts
If it is like the one pictured in your OP yes. Pistol grip only without any other form of stock (not sure what else to call it) no way. I bought and eventually sold off a Remington 870 that came used with every tactical doo dad you could attach to it and had to get rid of the pistol grip only stock as fast as possible. Very hard to shoot accurately and local indoor ranges only afford limited shooting options that don't really train you well.

Pistol grip only shotguns are a great way to get a nose job or knock out some front teeth.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I am not a fan of pistol grips on any long guns. I guess I am too old school. I prefer a "Garand-type" setup even on semi-auto rifles, such as the M1A, M1 Carbine, and Mini-14. I am not saying they are better, in fact they probably aren't, but having competed with the Garand, I just like them better.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Not a fan. I've tried them on long guns and my accuracy goes down and they make it harder to maneuver the weapon IMHO (particularly for a butt stroke).

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I don't use any. One of the main reasons is the placement of the safety on top of the receiver. You cannot operate it on a pistol grip without removing a hand from the gun.

·
Premium Member
33,748 Posts
What useful purpose does a pistol grip on a shotgun serve?

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I vote no on the pistol grip/stock on a shotgun. I prefer traditional stock on long guns just a more natural feel shouldering for me. I like my AR's but love my Mini 14.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What useful purpose does a pistol grip on a shotgun serve?
If I definitively knew the answer to that question, I would not have asked it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Pistol grip stock and pistol grip only.
With my Mossberg the safety is on the tang. Difficult to manipulate with a PG Stock, PG Only it's ok.
PG stock one can aim. PG only is hip fired.
So mine has a field stock on my defensive shotgun.
Plus, 3" magnum shells hurt my wrist with the PG only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Various
15,495 Posts
A pistol grip transfers some of the recoil from the shoulder to the wrist and forearm. If you have a weak or bad shoulder, that might be a good thing. I can't think of another good reason for a pistol grip.

My shotgun is a stock 20" Mossberg M500 12 gauge. For in-home self-defense, I would carry it at my hip and point shoot. A pistol grip would be in my way.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Pistol grip shotguns were created in Hollywood to make you look at the gun and the guy carrying it. I haven't found any practical use for them. So for me it's a no.DR

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I have the 930 Turkey Tactical, 24” cool camo. I ordered it with the standard stock, but ordered the pistol grip stock also. I see no advantage to the pistol grip stock regardless of what I was using the gun for.

Hunting, I like the standard stock best.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Nope. No pistol grip stocks on any shotguns for any purpose, nay, not on any long guns for me. Experience with one AR 15 is enough to do me for life on pistol grips. I don't want any part of 'em.

Reactions: G26Raven
1 - 20 of 51 Posts