Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

New to CCW and been trying out some IWB and first impression is they do not add comfort to the wearer; obviously!

I am toying with a Vedder Light Tuck and a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Like the idea of the Vedder but so far the CB is more comfortable. BUT I can feel the weight of the CB and of course it's trickier on and off.

My body shape, 5'4" 160lb (after the holiday binging!) has done me no favor with my pants size and belly roll but I can get the holsters seated and move around ok. The Vedder tends to dig in but see above about me being a little shall we say...huskey! :D

So to my questions; Since they are both foreign and feel weird how long do you give them a chance before moving on? I'm convinced that brand doesn't play a particular role in the and if I don't like the Crossbreed I probably wont like the say Alien Gear much better.

Here is AZ I have the option of open carry and till now have been using an OWB and just covering best I can. But I'm not crazy about OC especially when travelling and in non-familiar environments. I'm trying not to cop out and and give each a chance and am curious as to your first time IWB CCW experiences and how to transition.

Thanks!

Aztex

·
Premium Member
36,725 Posts
My comfort level and like or dislike of a holster is immediate, and doesn't change. If it digs and bites today, it will still dig and bite tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For me it took about a week carrying all day long to get use to having an IWB. Now I know immediately if I like it or not and feel weird if I don't have it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check out Smart Carry holster. It's an AIWB holster. you can sit, bend over, works wearing shorts and tees during the summer. Even jog or run with it. I use with my Beretta 96 Centurion and Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP. Watch the video of it on UTube and evaluate.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My comfort level and like or dislike of a holster is immediate, and doesn't change. If it digs and bites today, it will still dig and bite tomorrow.
This correlates with my own experience; a holster/gun package is either comfortable or it ain't. There's no "getting used to it."

It either works, or it doesn't.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Since you're new to CCW, have you increased your pant size? Adding 2" over normal waist size is fairly common and can make a big difference for comfort.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I AIWB - (5'6" @ 255#) carry close to 12:00 (sometimes 1:00)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks,

Using these for an XDs 3.3 9mm.

Well I have been going between the Crossbreed and the Vedder.

The Vedder dug in at first but a little adjustment and a small trim job have it working better.

Vedder is awful at IWB! The hard angular shape fits me no where but I've been using it inside belt OWB. A long shirt covers it perfect. Has a more positive feel and I can easily remove when driving if I feel like it.

Crossbreed is more comfortable right away but where I wear it it prints pretty drastically in the same shirt the Vedder disappears it. To be most comfortable I have it further back than I like.

Not gonna dump all my Wranglers to buy bigger pants. Rather wear baggy shirts than baggy pants.

Still working it,

A

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I tried a few different holsters and have settled on this system for my needs.
I buy a Ramora clipless holster to determine location/angle.
I then use this information to make my own leather holster.
Here is my Beretta PX4 9mm in my own holster:

This has held up just fine with daily use and a few classes over the last year.
I'm about to start on another one for my snub revolver with integrated speedloader holder.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Thanks,

The Vedder dug in at first but a little adjustment and a small trim job have it working better.

Vedder is awful at IWB! The hard angular shape fits me no where but I've been using it inside belt OWB. A long shirt covers it perfect. Has a more positive feel and I can easily remove when driving if I feel like it.

Crossbreed is more comfortable right away but where I wear it it prints pretty drastically in the same shirt the Vedder disappears it. To be most comfortable I have it further back than I like.

Not gonna dump all my Wranglers to buy bigger pants. Rather wear baggy shirts than baggy pants.

Still working it,

A
Honestly, I think some people never really warm up to IWB carry. I have friends who have given up and only carry in the pocket or OWB. Both holsters you've tried will do the job comfortably for a lot of people, especially with a gun the size of the XDS, but holster choices are very personal, and what works for some don't work for others. While you may still need some time to get used to IWB carry in general and having a chunk of metal/polymer stuck in your waistband, I doubt you'll get used to the Vedder since you seem to find it uncomfortable right away. The Tucker Gunleather "Cover Up" and R Grizzle "Southern Sidekick" are single-clip leather holsters with adjustable ride height and cant (like the Vedder). I find them much more comfortable than the Vedder for small guns, and the adjustability factor allows me to find a comfortable position. You may find the Crossbreed more comfortable after it breaks in a bit, especially if you have the horsehide version since it's stiffer. If you find the CB tolerable now, it may get better after you find what position on the body works best and break it in. I agree, for the most part, that holsters either work immediately or they don't, but hybrid holsters do get more comfortable after a week or two for a lot of people. You shouldn't need to buy oversize pants to carry an XDS with an IWB holster unless your Wranglers are just too tight to begin with. As far as printing goes, IMO, there's no getting around it. You can't hide a gun very well in a tight, short shirt.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Sounds like OWB with a good belt and long enough cover shirts is your best option then.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My favorite is White Hat IWB, it's very similar to Crossbreed. You have to give some time for the leather to conform to the body and figure out what position you wear such as 3:00, 3:30, etc. I have found once it is broken in I hardly know I'm wearing it. A good gun belt is worth it's money also.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
I wore my Vedder Light Tuck IWB for a long time, just in front of my hip bone - around 2:30 position. It worked really well and was almost "not there" feeling. Unfortunately I put on a few pounds (five) which is enough to make a noticeable difference in how my pants fit at the waist. Now I am wearing same holster IWB in the same position. Nice to have an IWB that actually does work for OWB also, isn't it?

I also have a belt slide, no cant, leather holster that I wear at 3:00 and it works well for me also. Gun in question is a G42 which is about as small and thin as they come without being too tiny for a decent grip for me. I also have a Bersa BP380cc (which is a bit larger size in width and length than the Glock 42, making for an even better shooting grip for me) for which I'm having an OWB holster made and will be carrying that sometimes.

Can't rely on being able to quickly and accurately shoot higher caliber anymore with my advanced arthritis, which is the reason for the .380 guns I'm carrying now. That inexpensive Bersa looks junky/rough/shoddy when you take it apart to clean it but it is reliable and not a bit picky about ammo. The thing just works.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Thanks,

Still working it,

A
ALL of us are, Aztex, to one degree or another. It's a continuing "work in progress" for most of us.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I'm 5'-9 and 225 and have always iwb carried . Skinny pistols could be carried at a 2:30 position canted to the rear to improve draw and aid in access while sitting or driving but larger double stacks get carried in a 3:30 with about 5* to 8* forward cant and are covered but untucked . Any ole square bottom shirt will do Cuban shirt for when looking better is needed . I can't find comfort in a all kydex holster and a prefer a hybrid design for iwb with lots of adjustment . Cross bred was the first "factory " made rig I bought and sold quickly . Garrett , foxx holsters little foxx , precision holsters are all skinny and very adjustable along with a few more out there . I have used a modified , skinnied up and extra leather removed comp-tac neutral for years at 2:30 position and a regular neutral for bigger handgun iwb carry , it will adjust 15* in both directions .

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check out Smart Carry holster. It's an AIWB holster. you can sit, bend over, works wearing shorts and tees during the summer. Even jog or run with it. I use with my Beretta 96 Centurion and Colt Combat Commander 45 ACP. Watch the video of it on UTube and evaluate.
Here we go, again! :danceban:
CPLYank

1 - 20 of 29 Posts