Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to be here and participate. About me: 74 year old retired Marine with 30 years in active service. Retired in 1989 as Master Gunnery Sergeant (E9). I was aboard ship off Cuba coast for both Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis. Then three years in Vietnam. I was a mud Marine (infantry) for my entire career. Last challenge was the Grenada invasion. Wounded twice In Nam. Obviously they were survivable wounds and I was lucky to have no residual effects from those wounds. I learned to shoot in basic using an M1. Then was issued an M14. I qualified as sharpshooter with both. The M14 was eventually was replaced with an M16. Never qualified with it because when we got them we were busy shooting the enemy. When I was promoted to Sergeant (E5) I had to qualify with the M1911. Shot sharpshooter with it. Due to the combat death of a staff sergeant I was promoted to Staff Sergeant (E6). After being assigned as a platoon Sergeant I was issued an M1911.

Because the early M16s tended to jam often I made sure to become a good pistol shooter. Upon discharge I bought an M1911. Ten years ago I went to Beretta 9mm. Three years ago I injured both my rotator cuffs beyond surgical repair. Had problems with stability when shooting the Beretta so went to compact 9mm in the form of a Ruger Lc9. Got the Lc9s when it came out. I love it and I am so impressed with it. Did not get the Pro model since my experience with the M1911 made me quite used to safeties. So that is my background. Glad to be onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Howdy from TEXAS, where the west begins. Welcome to the forum.
Glad you could join us. Pull up a chair and sit a spell. And thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Welcom to the forum from and a thank you for your many years of service from the Lone Star State.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Your years of service are greatly appreciated...:usa:

RET :31:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
A warm Texas welcome to ya! Enjoy your time at D.C. You are among good people here. :image035:
Thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome aboard! I was also involved in the Bay of Pigs & Cuban Missile Crisis myself. I was a diver aboard a Submarine & we offloaded some Cuban freedom fighters. Earlier I was involved with mapping the underwater part of the Bay & checking for obstacles, mines, etc. Exciting times. I retired from the US Army after jumping ship from the USN after a bunch of years from discharge in '01.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts