Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought our house in Charleston last year and have been arguing about/discussing getting new doors. Both our front and back doors have large glass panes, which from a home defense standpoint I deem pretty sub-par. I want to replace them with a solid wood setup, but she loves what we currently have...and her opinion trumps mine in matters like this.

Do y'all have any suggestions on how to beef up security for doors like this? FWIW our main floor also have a ton of windows at about eye height that wouldn't put up much resistance to a BG.

I've looked into anti-shatter security film, but it's rather expensive for the quantity I would need to do it right.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
There was a thread on this in the last year or two, but I can't find it.

Mrs. Whec and I compromised by her getting mottled glass, and me getting ornate, but heavy steel black bars to reinforce it. It looks pretty and fragile, but it's basically a steel door. The glass can break, but getting through is another story.

I'm not about to go as far as putting bars on our windows though. If they wanna get in, they can. They'll just wish that they didn't at my house. :image035:

·
Registered
892 Posts
For windows, if there's room, you could just plant some thorny bushes to deter folks from hiding/accessing windows from the outside. As far as the door, would she be open to a glass door with decorative metal reinforcement?

·
Registered
42,342 Posts
If you think you're going to protect yourself from every possible threat, you might want to consider a nuclear missile silo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nuclear missile silo isn't a half bad idea.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
when it comes to doors with glass windows I am on your side. My apartment ( rented townhome complex) had a door with large glass panes that if were broken out, would give a BG access to the dead bolt that is meant to be inaccessible. Glass paned doors defeat the purpose of security. I bugged my apt complex to replace my door until they did so. other than replacing the door there is no good defense measure IMO. I personally would keep arguing until she gave in, or I would just replace it wether she liked it or not. the security of my home will always be more important than my spouses want of a pretty door....but that may be why i am single.....:toilet:

Reactions: Stoveman and joker1

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Bullet proof glass. Since you are in Charleston it will double as a hurricane shutter.

By the way, I am not kidding. This is not all that uncommon here in high end houses.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Bars on the windows doesn't work out so well when the place is on fire and you need to get out of the room you are trapped in. The bars work both ways, they keep the BG out and keep you in.

Storm door with iron bars. But they are expensive. I wonder at what point between a "home" and a "fort" we become too fearful.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can get hurricane glass. Its really sturdy agaisnt home invaders. Just recently down here a couple guys were trying to get into a house they kicked the glass to no avail broke a metal chair on the glass and ended up shooting the glass a few times and still never got inside.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could get a door that has glass on the top portion of the door (as opposed to the top half of the door). It would be difficult for someone to break the glass and reach the deadbolt, but it would still allow light to come in. It would also make it a little more difficult to look inside (though not impossible). Obviously, nothing is going to make your house impenetrable. But you don't need to make your house impossible to break in, you just need to make your neighbors' house look easier.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You can have a Fort Knox grade door and there is still going to be a window within a few feet of it. If someone wants in, your not likely to prevent it. I see it as more important that you detect their entry and generate some form of alert.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Get a new wife.

Sliding glass doors make me nervous. French doors would make me nervous but they're just too hoity toity and just scream to BG's break in HERE.

Get a new wife.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife and I bought our house in Charleston last year and have been arguing about/discussing getting new doors. Both our front and back doors have large glass panes, which from a home defense standpoint I deem pretty sub-par. I want to replace them with a solid wood setup, but she loves what we currently have...and her opinion trumps mine in matters like this.

Do y'all have any suggestions on how to beef up security for doors like this? FWIW our main floor also have a ton of windows at about eye height that wouldn't put up much resistance to a BG.

I've looked into anti-shatter security film, but it's rather expensive for the quantity I would need to do it right.

Any suggestions?
If the current door is a nice setup, I would just change the glass to tempered unbreakable. these glass packages are so strong you can beat them with a hammer and will not break nor will they shatter if shot. the glass is layered simmiliar to what is in the windshield of a car but is designed fro double pane installation. I have installed this type of glass package, that were sold by the Allside corporation, usally in most cities I think they have an office in Charleston of not near by, also would check other window companies in your area for availablity.
chris

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

Any suggestions?
Honestly, unless you bar your windows, too, it's not going to make much difference if you have glass in the doors. I have a sun-room that's entirely made of windows.
The security film is a good idea, but I wouldn't really bother with the solid doors, etc.. Just have a security system, and use it. Also, keep a firearm within reach when you're home. Things like security lights in the yard/on the house are a better deterrent. If it's kids looking to break into a car for a radio, lights will typically scare them off. Particularly motion triggered ones. If it's a group set on a home invasion, a front door won't stop them. Usually you can batter in a door by knocking the screws out of the hinges almost as easily. The door's frame is the weakest point when knocking in a door.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have reinforced the door jambs with metal plates and have 3" screws holding the strike plate in; the doors (IMHO) are pretty well secured other than the huge glass. And it may be a losing battle since we have so many first floor windows, but the glass in the door is almost an invitation.

I may look into replacing the glass panels - thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
SVP, there are steel security/storm doors for sliding-glass applications. And if done well, they can be as secure as their single-door counterparts. Of course, as with any such door, it typically requires reinstalling of the whole frame and door. But then, you get a heavily-fortified framing job that's unlikely to ever be kicked in, a stout "door" area, stout locks, coverage for the glass, etc. Not exactly a $3.98 solution, but it'll be the most-secure option. It needn't look like a "security" type door, either.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I like glass doors. We have a leaded glass front door and it lets the light in. Very nice.

If people are motivated enough to break a glass door, and you a heavy wooden one, they will just break a window.

If you're home, you'll hear it shatter and have time to get your gun. The glass just doesn't fall away. If you're not home, they will break in anyway.

Enjoy the glass door. It lets in the light and opens up the house.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts