Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any differences between the 2, besides overall size? I'm leaning towards the 17, because it'll be primarily for home defense and range days. Maybe CC every once in a while, but I don't really want the compact. I like the look of the full size 17 way more. But I heard the 19 can take all sorts of magazines or something? Any other things I'd miss out on if I don't get the 19?

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
I own a G17 and it is a great gun, in fact it is sitting about 24 inches from my left elbow right now. I love shooting it - it is accurate, the recoil is very manageable, it is easy to clean, it eats any ammo you put in it, and it will hold 17 rounds in the magazine. With all of this said, it is not a great carry gun because of the size. I use mine for HD and range days. I carry a Kahr PM9 which is a very different weapon meant for a very different purpose. If you want to carry, I recommend the G19. If you want a great range and home gun, it is hard to go wrong with the G17.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If your not really going to carry, the 17 would be my choice. I carry a lot and opted to go with the 19.

But for range time, I will take the 17 anyday

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the question is if you would be comfortable carrying a G17 as opposed to something slightly smaller.

Personally I have a G19 since it's the most applicable for most occasions. Small enough to carry but big enough to still have fun with and use for events. Overall versatility.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I used to own a 22, it is great for HD or OC but is really big to CC. I'd go with the 19 (or 23/32), you get a 4 inch barrel, a rail, it is reasonably concealable and if you need the capacity you can still use the 17s mags and they make grip spacers for comfort. I'm currently looking for full size 22 mags for my 27 as a backup to keep in the center console.

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
I've owned both the G22 and G23, same gun as the G19/17 only in .40; I much prefer the G19/23 sized platform and ergonomics. You need to shoot both and see which fits you better. The shorter framed Glocks will take the larger's magazine, so a G19 will take the G17's mag and the G26 will take the G17 and G19 mag as well; all three with accept the G18's 33 rd. magazine.

·
Premium Member
5,407 Posts
I agree get both, I carry a Glock 19 and I want it's big brother. I would not object to carrying a 17. Both great guns, get both.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I disagree with those saying to get both the 17 and 19. First, that is an expensive proposition for most. Secondly, if you are going buy two, get a 17 and a 26. That would give you a full size and a subcompact frame.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
The difference between the 19 and the 17 is 2.:wink:

·
Banned
239 Posts
If you must limit yourself to one and only one pistol I would vote for the G19. You get a great range gun, comfortable to shoot as long as you want, and a tolerable carry weapon.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I vote for the 19 as well! I have skinny fingers, but large hands and my pinky does not hang of the edge of the grip, it is very comfortable to shoot and very accurate! It also carries very well! As for the magazines: the 19 will accept both 17 and 15 round m mags, with a little sticking out of the grip. Overall it is a great HD and range gun, as well as a carry gun. I own one myself.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I never liked the 17 until I shot one and then I bought one.:biggrin2: If you plan to carry more then you might lean towards the 19 but the 17 can still be carried.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The 19 does everything the 17 does and is a bit easier to conceal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I enjoy this best of both. I have a 17 with a grip shortened to a 19 by Dave Bowie.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
I only slightly prefer the balance and feel of my chopped 17 over my 19. For edc, unchopped, I would stick with the 19, as it is easier to conceal.
Grip chop 013.JPG

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
For concealed carry I'd go with the G19. I still contend that almost anything can be concealed with a little effort & thought. If you can successfully conceal a G19 you'll be able to conceal the 17. As an armed private detective I carried a G23 with no problems at all & I had a borrowed G22 that I carried equally well. The G22 was my choice for open carry when I did armed security until I gave it back to its owner (my son who came back from deployment) & open carried my trusty 23.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How big are your hands? If you don't have huge hands the 19 pretty much does everything the 17 does, and conceals a little better. However, if your a bigger (fat) guy the extra length on the grip of the 17 may not matter.

I carry a g19 at 3:30 in a harwell protuck holster just fine, but the extra length grip on my 17/34 makes it print pretty bad. I'm 5' 10" 180lbs.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
How big are your hands? If you don't have huge hands the 19 pretty much does everything the 17 does, and conceals a little better. However, if your a bigger (fat) guy the extra length on the grip of the 17 may not matter.

I carry a g19 at 3:30 in a harwell protuck holster just fine, but the extra length grip on my 17/34 makes it print pretty bad. I'm 5' 10" 180lbs.
I have to move things up to 3:00 to lose the print you are talking about.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts