Defensive Carry banner

Which would you pick? Read parameters before voting, please.

• 9mm Glock 19

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • 357 Sig Glock 32

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 40 S&W Glock 23

Votes: 22 31.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You have three pistols: Glock 19, 23, 32
16 rounds 9mm HST
14 rounds 357 Sig HST
14 rounds 40 S&W HST

Same sights. :wink:
The pistols are equally accurate. :wink:
Ammo cost, local ammo availability, nor wear & tear on pistol are factors in this choice. :wink:
If there is a zombie apocalypse or societal breakdown while carrying you will not be able to scavenge ammo for any of them. :wink:
That ^ funny statement is intended to eliminate the variable of obtaining ammo you don't with you, its not a factor in this choice.

9mm has the advantages of greater capacity and slightly quicker follow up shots.
357 Sig has the most energy.
40 has the biggest bullet.

Given those parameters which would you carry?

Edited for clarity.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
I go with 9mm for low cost, commonality, easier to use for barter, plentiful availability, more ammo per mag, and softer recoil (consideration for arthritis).

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
I've carried 9mm, .40, and .45. I'll stick with 9mm. But carry whatever you like.

Reactions: G-man*

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I have mixed feelings in this poll. While I love 357Sig as a SD around the poll specifically says a Glock.......

Reactions: Struckat and MMinSC

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Since the parameters stated that cost is not a consideration, I chose .357 Sig.

I mostly shoot and carry either .45 or 9mm. I think 9mm is adequate but .357 Sig is better. Enough better for the extra cost? Maybe. If I ever did get into 357, I would have to learn to reload for that caliber. Some say it is just as easy as any other bottleneck case and others have stated that it is harder to achieve good velocity and bullet setback may be an issue. I really do not know. Since the OP is buying our ammo in his scenario, I will take the .357 Sig.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Pass on the glock. Simple light easy to carry 9mm. 357 is for deer hunting and a revolver would do better. 40 just does not do that much better with today's ammo.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm sticking with the 10mm.:ticking:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
9mm or 357 Sig or 40?

Yes.

Reactions: Struckat

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
You left out a vote for THREE CALIBERS, ONE PISTOL. I vote Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel, a stock 357 Sig barrel, and the stock 40 barrel. Why limit yourself to just one?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
.40 S&W. You asked. My answer. Choose what YOU want! I own 2 currently. Carry one daily. Yes, I own 9mm's. Just don't carry them any more. AS to one of the parameters you said "If there is a zombie apocalypse or societal breakdown while carrying you will not be able to scavenge ammo for any of them". Why would I switch mid-stream, if I can't have, but the ammo I already have? I guess you're wanting to know why .40 S&W. With out spending a lot of time, my simple answer is, I carry nothing under .40 caliber.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
My one and only 9mm is a Sig P938 pocket gun which is carried in addition to the 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm. I only trust 9mm handguns for bad-breath fighting distances. For .357 caliber, I have three Colt Pythons and two Colt Troopers in .357 magnum.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Is this a caliber war disguised as a poll?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

In the correct platform.
Which grips are those? I prefer the 226 for my 357Sig (which I just got back from shooting at the range - man I love that pistol).

Reactions: Struckat

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very hot 38 spec or 357 mag.
I prefer none of the afore mentioned guns, which are all respectable items.
At the present time, there is only one semi in my stable, and it is a 22 Lr.
Different stokes for different folks!
So, for the lead in question, I would have to throw rocks or borrow from a neighbor.
Have a great weekend. Tom in Oregon TKH

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is this a caliber war disguised as a poll?
No. It is a choice.
I attempted to make it straightforward and eliminate potential derailments, didn't work.
Each caliber has advantages.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts