Defensive Carry banner

Which would you pick? Read parameters before voting, please.

• 9mm Glock 19

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • 357 Sig Glock 32

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 40 S&W Glock 23

Votes: 22 31.9%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Very hot 38 spec or 357 mag.
I prefer none of the afore mentioned guns, which are all respectable items.
At the present time, there is only one semi in my stable, and it is a 22 Lr.
Different stokes for different folks!
So, for the lead in question, I would have to throw rocks or borrow from a neighbor.
Have a great weekend. Tom in Oregon TKH

357Mag frankly sets the standard for handgun rounds IMHO. Truth is I'm a piss poor shot with most revolvers. If I weren't so cheap I'd have a Coonan 357Mag but the 357Sig P226 and M&P FS, each of which I converted from 40SW, will have to do for me.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
For strictly biped use, I’ll take the 9mm. If it was the only caliber I could have that served a concrete jungle/outdoors type need, I’d take the 40.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
Zombie apocalypse? I'm taking all three, somehow, from somebody. I don't really care what platform either. Having shot all three, all would do well enough.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Zombie apocalypse? I'd say none of the above. I'll take a .22lr for that. Easy and light weight to carry 2000 rounds, easy to make follow up shots, much quieter than larger calibers.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Given the zombie thing I guess I wouldn't mind carrying an ugly gun for ugly targets - 9mm.

·
Registered
687 Posts
No. It is a choice.
I attempted to make it straightforward and eliminate potential derailments, didn't work.
Each caliber has advantages.
Isn't it amazing how some guys just can't play the "game" scenario and answer the question as posed.

I don't like Glocks and rarely carry 9mm. But instead of posting something about 38 SPL and preferring my LCR, I answered as asked. 9mm because of capacity and I am accustomed to its recoil so I can shoot it better. Wasn't so hard to answer.

·
Registered
8,115 Posts
I've been fascinated by the Sgt. Tim Gramins shooting story where he came close to failing to take a perp down with three mags of .45. I know .45 was not one of the choices, but it represents a supposedly more powerful caliber than 9mm. It validates what the FBI ballistics report says and what most people probably already believe, that all the major service calibers are not that far apart in stopping power. What is more important is accuracy, and secondary to the that, capacity.

Gramins now carries a 9mm. His main reason is capacity, but he also gives it credit for accuracy when shooting rapidly and getting the sights back on target quickly. I think it also has the advantage of lower cost and better availability. So that would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Isn't it amazing how some guys just can't play the "game" scenario and answer the question as posed.

I don't like Glocks and rarely carry 9mm. But instead of posting something about 38 SPL and preferring my LCR, I answered as asked. 9mm because of capacity and I am accustomed to its recoil so I can shoot it better. Wasn't so hard to answer.
I thought I was clear in OP, but obviously I wasn't. I edited it hoping for more relevant replies.

Premise of thread:
You have all three of those pistols, they are equally accurate and ammo aint a factor (you have plenty for each).
Which one would you carry?
Its not a "game" its an actual real world choice if one had all three pistols.

Reactions: entertainment72

·
Premium Member
33,785 Posts
Your parameters are based on the false premise that all other factors are equal.

I vote D, none of the above.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Your parameters are based on the false premise that all other factors are equal.

I vote D, none of the above.
False premise, how?

Have all three pistols.
Have ammo for all three.
Capacity stated for each is accurate.

9mm holds two more rounds and offers slightly quicker follow up shots.
357 Sig has most energy
40 has biggest bullet

How are you getting "false premise"? Its certainly not.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Premium Member
33,785 Posts
False premise, how?

Have all three pistols.
Have ammo for all three.
Capacity stated for each is accurate.

9mm holds two more rounds and offers slightly quicker follow up shots.
357 Sig has most energy
40 has biggest bullet

How are you getting "false premise"? Its certainly not.
We don't all own all three pistols. Not all of would carry one of the three listed if we did have all three pistols. Had you asked "Which caliber do you prefer?", it would have been an easy answer.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
We don't all own all three pistols. Not all of would carry one of the three listed if we did have all three pistols. Had you asked "Which caliber do you prefer?", it would have been an easy answer.
Yeah, but then people are like “well, for a subcompact I want 9mm and full size I want .40,” etc.

Personally I’d choose either the 9 or 40. A little less recoil or a little more power, it doesn’t matter much in my opinion. Same for the 357 except I’ve read that it’s very loud, so might as well reduce the potential for hearing damage.

The only Glock I own is a 23, and I’m fine with that.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I’m down to two Glocks; one designed for concealment, and one designed for duty/service, and it is my old duty G22 that has been relegated to outdoor use.

My carry Glock, a G26 can give all the carry benefits of the larger guns with the advantage of a purposeful size.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts