Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I said it. Glock 19. :gah:

I almost got lured away this weekend to a Springfield Champion Operator which a guy wanted to trade me. And before you all say I'm dumb because of the price difference, my Glock has HD sights, and he wanted my 700 practice rounds, crossbreed, red eye and 2 other holsters and 5 Glock mags to make it even. I thought better of it, simply because I can close my eyes and shoot ragged holes with the 19. My 19 is with me more than my wife, it is a part of me. And it carries 16 rounds in a 10oz lighter and shorter gripped platform than the springer. Nuff said. (Still want the Springer though, I have a sickness)

Anyways, that wasn't my point. My point is today I ran another couple hundred rounds through the 19, and man if I can't shoot the crap out of that gun. Head shots at 25 yards, no problem. Super fast mag dumps, no problem, I keep em all in the "0" of an IDPA target out to 10 yards at break neck speed. And this Glock has now shot a total of 750 steel cased monarch rounds with only one failure to fire due to a hard primer. And has never had a malfunction with anything brass. The only drawback is I get bored at the range. It is so monotonous with the Glock. I need some training or a private outdoor range to really start having some fun.

Anyways, just wanted to tout the ever popular, ever hated (by some) Glock 19. There are guns that do specific things better, but none that are as versatile and capable in almost ANY role as the 19. Love it. :danceban:

·
Registered
6,374 Posts

I almost got lured away this weekend to a Springfield Champion Operator which a guy wanted to trade me. And before you all say I'm dumb because of the price difference, my Glock has HD sights, and he wanted my 700 practice rounds, crossbreed, red eye and 2 other holsters and 5 Glock mags to make it even. I thought better of it, simply because I can close my eyes and shoot ragged holes with the 19. My 19 is with me more than my wife, it is a part of me. And it carries 16 rounds in a 10oz lighter and shorter gripped platform than the springer. Nuff said. (Still want the Springer though, I have a sickness)

Anyways, that wasn't my point. My point is today I ran another couple hundred rounds through the 19, and man if I can't shoot the crap out of that gun. Head shots at 25 yards, no problem. Super fast mag dumps, no problem, I keep em all in the "0" of an IDPA target out to 10 yards at break neck speed. And this Glock has now shot a total of 750 steel cased monarch rounds with only one failure to fire due to a hard primer. And has never had a malfunction with anything brass. The only drawback is I get bored at the range. It is so monotonous with the Glock. I need some training or a private outdoor range to really start having some fun.

Anyways, just wanted to tout the ever popular, ever hated (by some) Glock 19. There are guns that do specific things better, but none that are as versatile and capable in almost ANY role as the 19. Love it. :danceban:
Get a Glock 18! :danceban: You will never be bored again!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Find a local IDPA club and get in the game with your 19. I've been shooting IDPA and a few USPSA matches almost every month and learning a LOT of things about carry, draw, shoot mechanics. The one element I intend to add in a few weeks is 'scanning' the surroundings after I've shot the last round. I'm shooting a Gen 4 Model 26 and love going head-to-head with the bigger guns and race guns (USPSA). Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You're lucky it's boring. There's a lot of 9mm Glock owners out there with bruises on their foreheads from brass-to-face syndrome.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts

If you can shoot like that with a Glock, just think how well you coulda shot that Springer 1911 !! :smile:

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can shoot like that with a Glock, just think how well you coulda shot that Springer 1911 !! :smile:
Yea, I know. Wish I had the funds to buy a 1911 right now without selling/trading the Glock. But honestly, with the Ghost connector and polished guts, this Glock has an incredible trigger and short reset, I know it isn't a 1911 trigger, but darn good and helps me shoot as fast as I do while staying on target.

Reactions: druryj

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're lucky it's boring. There's a lot of 9mm Glock owners out there with bruises on their foreheads from brass-to-face syndrome.
I've owned a lot of Glocks, never had more than a round or two tossed at my face. Overblown internet hype IMO. Besides, my G19 is an older Gen 3 and works as advertised. Besides as long as the brass exits the pistol, then mission accomplished. My weed eater pegs me with rocks from time to time, but it still does its job.

Find a local IDPA club and get in the game with your 19. I've been shooting IDPA and a few USPSA matches almost every month and learning a LOT of things about carry, draw, shoot mechanics. The one element I intend to add in a few weeks is 'scanning' the surroundings after I've shot the last round. I'm shooting a Gen 4 Model 26 and love going head-to-head with the bigger guns and race guns (USPSA). Just my humble opinion.
Great idea. I guess I just shy away from stuff like that because the last time I did an adult sport (Schutzhund dog sport with my German Shepherds) there were a lot of nasty people and a lot of ego. I don't have the time for ego anymore. I could probably be competitive at a local level, but dunno if it is worth the potential headaches.

Yea, I know. Wish I had the funds to buy a 1911 right now without selling/trading the Glock. But honestly, with the Ghost connector and polished guts, this Glock has an incredible trigger and short reset, I know it isn't a 1911 trigger, but darn good and helps me shoot as fast as I do while staying on target.

Shoot with your other hand....:smile:
Yep, another good idea. I shoot left handed every range session, but I could add more I guess. Or try dot torture left handed maybe.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Well, my G26 was hitting me in the forehead or face with 1-2 rounds every mag, to include one round that fell perfectly between my glasses and face and burned my eyebrow, and several that would have hit my eye in a self defense situation (i.e. no glasses). I also had a few FTE thrown in for good measure. It was enough that I quit shooting the gun before I was out of ammo, which was a first in 30 years of shooting.

So it's not internet hype as far as I'm concerned. Also, the >100 page threads on other gun forums suggest that other folks are having the same issue.

I replaced the ejector, which lowered the number to 1-2 rounds or BTF per 50 rounds, so the gun is at least shootable.

After that I replaced the extractor spring, and I haven't been back to the range yet.

Meanwhile, the Para 1911 and Taurus PT111 G2 I also bought this year have been absolutely flawless with 400ish rounds thru each.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tactical Response Alum. Aint no Glock hatred with us.

And I wouldnt hesitate to shoot more steel cased. Glocks gobble it up. :para:
No doubt, and at $9 per 50, I can afford to buy a good bit of it.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my G26 was hitting me in the forehead or face with 1-2 rounds every mag, to include one round that fell perfectly between my glasses and face and burned my eyebrow, and several that would have hit my eye in a self defense situation (i.e. no glasses). I also had a few FTE thrown in for good measure. It was enough that I quit shooting the gun before I was out of ammo, which was a first in 30 years of shooting.

So it's not internet hype as far as I'm concerned. Also, the >100 page threads on other gun forums suggest that other folks are having the same issue.

I replaced the ejector, which lowered the number to 1-2 rounds or BTF per 50 rounds, so the gun is at least shootable.

After that I replaced the extractor spring, and I haven't been back to the range yet.

Meanwhile, the Para 1911 and Taurus PT111 G2 I also bought this year have been absolutely flawless with 400ish rounds thru each.
Ok great, then carry the Taurus. Meanwhile, a good Glock armorer could easily remedy your problem.

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I had a G19 for 8 or more years. All is good except the "accurate"....I couldn't shoot a loaf of bread at 10 paces with that thing, although
I religiously carried it for a long time. It's gone now. Sorry folks.....only 1911's now and forever.

Reactions: Poppy42

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

I always get a kick out of Glock haters .. Im not talking about people who just chose another platform ... But people who despise , Glocks .. But yet , most of the time they carry a Glock inspired pistol ..

I prefer the Glock platform ... They are light .. Smooth .. , low bore axis .. dependable ... and to me .. shootable ... But everyone should find the platform that works for themselves... The S&W M&P series , the Springfield XD series, Walther ,,, and Sig all make great pistols .. and I can see why someone would choose any of them ..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts