Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an offer from someone who wants my Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm (little over a year old) in a straight trade for a 1997 Gen. 2 Glock 19. Pictures look great of the Glock 19, he states only 200 rounds and no carry, a safe queen. I have heard the older Gen. 2's are some of the best ever made, better than the gen. 3 and 4s. Any comments on whether this is a good idea (16 year old gun) for a trade?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Unless you are absolutely in love with the XD Sub I would go for this deal in a heartbeat. They are still making XD Subs but they are not making Gen 2 19's anymore.

My Gen 2 has been nearly 100% reliable with whatever ammo its been fed and to me it feels the best in hand of all the Glocks.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
If it were a Gen 3 or Gen 4 I would say it was a decent trade. I am also a fan of the XD's, almost as much as I like Glocks. You stated you saw pictures of the Glock so I take it you have not physically seen the G19? Lots of folks will say that they only put "x" amount of rounds through a gun, and only a few of them will be correct. I would be cautious on that aspect if nothing else. Also, there would be a question on the condition of the internal parts, as you haven't inspected them yet. Remember, there is likely no "return policy" with an individual as opposed to a gun shop.

Dollar wise a G19 will fetch about $350 to $400 on trade in value in my area, the XD's will get a little more. With the G19 being a bit older I personally would be inclined to stay with the XD in this instance. If you want a G19 you could likely find one later on down the road that is a little newer (if not new). This is just my take on it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If truly in great shape, and if unaltered with aftermarket fru-fru, it might be a good deal to you. Even better, if it comes with several of the 15rd factory magazines. Have him kick in a few 50rd boxes of ammo if you're thinking it's a bit light.

IMO, the G19 G2 is a fairly good pistol.

·
Registered
20,565 Posts
Without a doubt, I would give 20 XD's for a Gen 2. Heres my 1989 G19 with TFO sights and a target shot with it at 15 yards.

Yeah, I know, a couple of shots outside the main group hole...but after 50 shots at 15 yards at a 1.5 inch target, you get a little fatigued.

The only thing that shoots better is my Colt. I personally much prefer the grip of the Gen 2 without the finger grooves

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Honestly I would say it depends on how you feel about the Gen 2 models and why you don't want your XD. I can't agree that the Gen 2 models are superior to the Gen 3 or 4. Sure there are stories of some later models having an issue, but there are plenty of later models that haven't had any issue at all. I know this; I wouldn't trade my Gen 4 G19 for a Gen 2 G19. Nothing wrong with the Gen 2s, but my Gen 4 has been flawless.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The gen 2 G19 is THE quintessential Glock in my opinion. No ninja rail, no finger grooves for dudes with small girly hands. Like glockman10mm, I'd take one gen 2 G19 over a safe full of Croatian abortions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2nd gen 19

I have over 15 handguns to choose from including numerous german sigs and 2nd/3rd gen glocks. The one I carry off duty is my 2nd gen 19 loaded with corbons.
I carry it in a MS SS2 holster year round. It has digested everything I have put through it without fail. I would def do that trade.

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I run a 2000 vintage Gen3 G19 so I have a soft spot for this model. If it passes the 'hold in the hand visual inspection'(maybe with a mag or two run through it by you) go for it !!

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I sold my XDSC 9mm in OD Green and have regretted it ever since. Don't make the same mistake: buy the gun outright! :smile:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If possible, get the G19 and give it some range time. I don't think the offer is a bad trade, but (if it were me) I would like to do a bit of comparison shooting -- especially if the XD is a pistol that you are basically happy with.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
pamooreems, looks like you've got a basic consensus. If it floats your boat and the gun is as claimed, the G19 G2 should serve you well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts