Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to carry my Glock 23 as a concealed carry weapon and even just made a post about it looking for holsters, anyway I was just thinking this morning and looking for opinions here, how much easier to conceal would a glock 27 be? I was or have been debating trading my 23 in and getting a 27. Anyway my question is, is concealing a 27 sub compact Glock easier or a lot easier and more convenient than concealing a Glock 23 compact or are they honestly close enough in size I will not tell much difference at all?

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still toying with holsters as I have another post looking for help in that refused, but I seem to be having a difficult time concealing the 23 where the grip / magazine won't print through my untucked t-shirts. I currently wear the more tighter fitting muscle / slim fit shirts and the grip wants to constantly print through them. I'm not sure if this is a size of the 23 problem thus I'll need a 27, if it's a I haven't found the right holster yet problem, if it's a more form fitting slim muscle tighter fitting cotton t shirt that I typically wear untucked problem, or if it's a combination of two or more of those put together causing me to have issues concealing the grip / magazine from printing?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a 19 and a 26, the same size as your 23 and 27. Yes, the 26 is a little easier to conceal than the 19, though the 19 isn't that difficult really. But there are definitely times for me when the 26 gets the nod.

If I were in your position, I'd keep the 23 and get the 27 to pair with it. I wouldn't trade the 23 for the 27, though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
what kind of holster are you using?
can you get hold of a training replica Glock 27 (or 26) to try in it?
that would be an inexpensive alternative to buying another gun and selling yours to figure it out.
the 27 is easier to conceal, shorter grip
that said, the 23 is very little harder to conceal, but your choice of clothing may make it more difficult
as always, belt, holster, body shape, and clothing have nearly everything to do with it
you might want to consider a single stack pistol with a relatively short grip

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just went to my local gun store and held a Glock 27 for the first time, I'm not really sure how I felt about the size of it in my hand. Just felt so small. I didn't like my pinky left to flap in the wind either. I know you can get things to put on the mags so your pinky has grip to but then wouldn't that basically make it roughly the same size as the 23?

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I was planning to carry my Glock 23 as a concealed carry weapon and even just made a post about it looking for holsters, anyway I was just thinking this morning and looking for opinions here, how much easier to conceal would a glock 27 be? I was or have been debating trading my 23 in and getting a 27. Anyway my question is, is concealing a 27 sub compact Glock easier or a lot easier and more convenient than concealing a Glock 23 compact or are they honestly close enough in size I will not tell much difference at all?
I have this combination in 9mm. I use both and both have their place in my carry strategy.

To answer your question simply, the subcompact is easier to conceal and will be 'better' for certain types of environments. There isn't much difference between the two but that extra inch of grip is that much harder to conceal.

Now that said, I don't think I would trade one for the other and if I had to pick one, I'm not sure I could... Mostly because I have specific times when I want the smaller gun and every other time, I want the larger gun. Honestly, I would say that you should work with what you have. Maybe try buying some shirts that aren't so form fitting. You can't really conceal any decent sized gun if your wardrobe doesn't allow for it. If, down the line, you think that you have to have a smaller firearm, then maybe look at adding to your options by looking at the subcompact.

One other factor, for me personally, is I find that sub .40 a handful during rapid, SD work. The whole not having your pinkie finger gripping anything is nothing that some training and practice won't overcome, but the round itself is quite snappy and a frame that size doesn't do much to mitigate that. It's just a lot of energy with no factors to help distribute it. I can handle the 26 fine but I'm nowhere near as effective with its twin chambered in .40. YMMV, of course, but I just don't care for that sized frame with that chambering.

·
Premium Member
36,753 Posts
I have this combination in 9mm. I use both and both have their place in my carry strategy.

To answer your question simply, the subcompact is easier to conceal and will be 'better' for certain types of environments. There isn't much difference between the two but that extra inch of grip is that much harder to conceal.

Now that said, I don't think I would trade one for the other and if I had to pick one, I'm not sure I could... Mostly because I have specific times when I want the smaller gun and every other time, I want the larger gun. Honestly, I would say that you should work with what you have. Maybe try buying some shirts that aren't so form fitting. You can't really conceal any decent sized gun if your wardrobe doesn't allow for it. If, down the line, you think that you have to have a smaller firearm, then maybe look at adding to your options by looking at the subcompact.

One other factor, for me personally, is I find that sub .40 a handful during rapid, SD work. The whole not having your pinkie finger gripping anything is nothing that some training and practice won't overcome, but the round itself is quite snappy and a frame that size doesn't do much to mitigate that. It's just a lot of energy with no factors to help distribute it. I can handle the 26 fine but I'm nowhere near as effective with its twin chambered in .40. YMMV, of course, but I just don't care for that sized frame with that chambering.
I did have to pick one (twice), and here is what I wound up with:
13282725_1149172255103949_774792352_o.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Just went to my local gun store and held a Glock 27 for the first time, I'm not really sure how I felt about the size of it in my hand. Just felt so small. I didn't like my pinky left to flap in the wind either. I know you can get things to put on the mags so your pinky has grip to but then wouldn't that basically make it roughly the same size as the 23?
not necessarily
this is how I solved that problem, very effective & inexpensive
they allow for a much better purchase on the grip which makes for a big improvement for drawing the gun from holster

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I would keep the 23 and buy a 26. The small glocks are a lot easier to conceal. The 27 is a great small carry piece but I think 9mm fits the size of the gun better. So I traded my 27 for a 26.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
27 easier to carry ... 23 easier to shoot ... The 27 can be a hand full .. Because it doesn't fill your hand !!!! Personally i shoot both the 26 and 27 well ..

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
I'm a big fan of the baby Glocks, they do everything the bigger ones do and hide better.
I see no need for the mid size guns, and my full size guns collect dust waiting for service or shtf duty.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let's just say for recoil sake we scratch the 27 and replace it with the 26. So comparing Glock 23 with Glock 26 or even more simply, comparing compact Glock model to sub compact Glock model which would be the better all around choice?? Let's say for the heck of it you had to buy only one and go the next 2 years concealing the gun and depending on it and only it which would be the better option. Keeping in mind if I end up with the sub compact I'm gonna do something with the magazine to give myself a pinky grip cause I didn't do anything today but hold the gun and walk around with it some in my hand and I just hated my pinky not having anything.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Let's just say for recoil sake we scratch the 27 and replace it with the 26. So comparing Glock 23 with Glock 26 or even more simply, comparing compact Glock model to sub compact Glock model which would be the better all around choice?? Let's say for the heck of it you had to buy only one and go the next 2 years concealing the gun and depending on it and only it which would be the better option. Keeping in mind if I end up with the sub compact I'm gonna do something with the magazine to give myself a pinky grip cause I didn't do anything today but hold the gun and walk around with it some in my hand and I just hated my pinky not having anything.
I would be happy carrying a 26 for two years with no larger Glock to compliment it. My backup mag would be a larger compact mag though, simply because it's a backup and has a higher capacity.

One thing I would add is the same advice I give to everyone talking about the whole pinky thing. Do yourself and the firearm a favor and just make an attempt to get past the grip before writing it off. It's actually not difficult to get used to shooting that firearm proficiently without your little finger on anything. It feels different and not right, I realize, but if you simply make the effort, you'll, most likely, be surprised to find that it's not difficult to get past and you'll be accurate and confident without any changes to the grip. If you give it an honest try and just can't get over it then fine; I just hate hearing about people looking to fix things that they really don't give a chance to. Sure there are plenty of small floor plates that won't add much to the overall length, but if you were accurate and comfortable without it, wouldn't that be even better?

For full disclosure, I have added (and I recommend) the GAP base plate (I think they may have a new name now) to my subcompact mags. It does nothing for capacity nor does it change any of the grip length but what it does do is give me something that I can manipulate quickly if I have to do a mag drop and my palm hangs the mag up. That's the one down side, that I have personally found, with the smaller subs; I will often times not get my palm out of the way enough for the mag to drop free and it's fastest if I have that small extension to knock the mag free with rather than have to try and pinch it with fingertips or shake it loose. That's just an issue for me though and the next guy may be able to manipulate it fine without ever having that issue. If it weren't a problem that I actually identified after a lot of range work, I probably would never have even known about them. EDIT - it's the thing kukla posted the video about. I didn't see that post when I replied.

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
If you need the pinky grip, then just get the next size up, because you are defeating the purpose of the smaller design.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have both and if I had to make a choice I would take the 27. If you carry/carried a spare G23 or G22 mag and threw an X-grip on it you will have the same purchase as the compact model. With certain pants I can pocket carry the smaller gun.
I really like The two finger grip on the standard magazine. My middle and index finger naturally torque the grip into the heel of my palm. This causes the gun to wedge in and "lock" into place. I shoot both my G23 and G27 the same from an accuracy standpoint.
The .40 caliber is a bit more harsh than 9mm but it's probably fractions of a second for me as far as getting back on target. The captured dual recoil spring of the baby Glock really knocks down the recoil for such a small pistol. I like the G27 also because you can always convert it down to 9mm if the .40 does not work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
I currently wear the more tighter fitting muscle / slim fit shirts and the grip wants to constantly print through them.
In my opinion, you're going to find concealing anything difficult no matter how compact it is. Either you wear looser fitting clothes, or consider a pocket gun. there isn't much compromise. Of course, if you wear tight pants, you're going to find that almost impossible, too.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went to another local gun store and met with the owner and also a concealed carry teacher was in there as well. Took them both and handled a Glock 22, 23, 43, and a tiny ruger 380. 23 still feels the absolute best in my hands it just feels good and natural to me. 22 a little big, 43 felt ok just idk can't fully describe it just something felt a little off I'm not sure what or how to describe it. The ruger just way to small. The cc teacher and owner both said the holster I chose is everything as far as how concealed it will be. Both of them obvisoily recommended theusing the g23 and also getting a small 380 for pocket carry. CC teacher said he uses a G19 gen 3 for his everyday carry with no concealing issues or comfort issues. He uses a holster that's IWB and pretty deep as when he showed me you couldn't see anything but the bottom of the grip and mag sticking up above his pants. He also recommend that urban carry holster, anyone have any experience with the Urban Carry??

·
Registered
20,089 Posts
Which is why I carry a full size.
Id say your hands are a little bigger than the average bear:)

I can get 2 fingers on the grip easy, but you can probably barely get 1.

Reactions: Bad Bob
1 - 20 of 59 Posts