Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother gave me a box of Hornady 124gr XTP hollow-points, for self defense ;
I usually shoot Remington 115gr bullets, in my Glock-26 gen 3, for target practice.

Should i consider changing out the Guide-Rod springs, to a heavier weight than
the 16Lb, (?) stock spring i have now, for better dependability ?

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
My brother gave me a box of Hornady 124gr XTP hollow-points, for self defense ;
I usually shoot Remington 115gr bullets, in my Glock-26 gen 3, for target practice.

Should i consider changing out the Guide-Rod springs, to a heavier weight than
the 16Lb, (?) stock spring i have now, for better dependability ?

Unless you are planning on running +P+ loads exclusively, changing to a heavier return spring will serve no purpose, and many cause ejection problems when shooting lower-recoil target ammo.

·
Banned
747 Posts
The G26 has a robust guide rod. Leave it alone. I shoot Speer 124+p and Winchester 127+p+ through mine regularly, and it handles it fine. Glocks work perfect stock. Less so when you start changing things.

Leave it alone. Replace the factory guide rod for another factory guide rod every 4000-5000 rounds or so.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Leave it with the stock spring. Why mess with Glock perfection?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Leave it alone. Replace the factory guide rod for another factory guide rod every 4000-5000 rounds or so.
I was out of town, the week you posted this; and that same day, i ruined the guide rod.

Apparently that Storm Lake 4.72" extended barrel, made for the Glock 19, (that i'm using in my G-26)
-- it's extra weight along with my DIY flash suppressor, made the plate located on the barrel end of
the guide-rod , go ByBy in 1,300 rounds.

I purchased the 16Lb SS springs , (as per you guys recommendations) on that Heavy Tungsten
Guide Rod,made for G26, from the GlockStore in San Diego to replace it, because i have NO
intention of giving up that barrel and the awesome accuracy i get from using it.

I just got a LW threaded barrel made for the Glock 26 , and screwed on the same suppressor; but
haven't shot it yet, because the guide-rod hasn't showed up. It will be Fun to compare the difference
in accuracy, between the two barrels ; right now i can hit a 12" target, (braced) at 45 yards, about
6 out of 9 times, and the rest miss by a few 3 or 4 inches, with the Storm Lake barrel. No way
could, (i) do that, with the stock set-up, and sight length. FTF's stopped happening , after shooting
about 500 rounds.

Bille

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Curious as to why you added that flash suppressor? It looks kind of cool but it adds length and weight unnecessarily, I imagine.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I've heard this story before :
"Hi! I just swapped a bunch of stock parts out for a mix of after market brands. Now, my brand new gun won't function.!?!"

If this is a self defense sidearm, go back to stock. If it is a competition gun (which a G26 probably wouldn't be), then enjoy the process of finding the performance sweet spot.

·
Banned
747 Posts
So you have bought two extra barrels, a flash hider, a $70 heavy tungsten guide rod and extra power spring, all in the effort to get extra accuracy at 45 yards from a compact, conceal carry pistol? Does that about sum it up? Hate to put it this way, but those are some Class A Mall Ninja accessories.

Put the dang gun back to stock, put the stock barrel back in, put a brand new stock recoil spring back in, and stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. Sell the ninja accessories to the next sucker, and then, go purchase a Glock 34, 17L, 1911, Ruger Mark 4, or some other target pistol if you want to shoot at 50 yards all day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Curious as to why you added that flash suppressor? It looks kind of cool but it adds length and weight unnecessarily, I imagine.
The ONLY reason i made that suppressor , was to increase the distance between
the front and rear sights ; adding a longer barrel does essentially Nothing for
increasing accuracy, unless Ya increase the sight radius as well.

When i go for a CC permit ; i'll probably get a Glock-43, because it is More concealable
than the Stock 26 , Barrel length is nearly the same as the Stock 26, and sight radius is almost
as long as well. I put 100 rounds each , through my Stock 26, and my sister-in-law's 43 back to
back at 10-yards , and i could shoot both guns nearly as well as each other. The 26 was
just a Tad better ; but Much bigger to hide. I was quite impressed with the Glock-43 !!

At 30 yards braced with the G-26 and that long Storm Lake barrel and increased sight
length; the grouping is already good enough that a rabbit will probably be my dinner. :smile:

And the 26 was a gift from my brother ; so i had no other choice but to use it, or he'd get mad
at me for being ungrateful. Well i bin using the Heck out of that thing after i did that MOD
and thoroughly enjoy shooting it, as my first hand-gun !!! ... ...

Bille

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@ -- bubbatime

I made that carbon flash suppressor , and the Storm-lake barrel was purchased used,rather cheap.
I'll probably never need another guide-rod because this one is made way stronger.
And last --- I enjoy fiddling with stuff as much or more than most people like burning
money in bars drinking and shooting pool.

I'm Never gonna sell that G-26 that my brother gave me ; Not Ever !!

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
I bought an old Nova once JUST to rescue it from some dumb kid who put curb feelers and "modern" rims/wheels on a classic. Ughhh..

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Well.... Ummmm...... Yep........ I'm not sure really what to say except it really makes a stock Glock look beautiful. As long as you like it that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
OP hasn't been back since starting this thread... Normally, I wouldn't say that was enough to warrant a thread locking but in this case, I'm all for it. That heinous thing should be set on the back of the furthest shelf of the archive and forgotten about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts