Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently owna glock 23 and love it. I am wanting to get a sub-compact glock 26 or 27. What I read most like the 26 over the 27 due to less recoil and being less snappy. What is your opinions? Which is most accurate? Would there be a difference shooting 40cal in a 27 vs my 23 as far as recoil, accuracy etc. Thanks. Also is it worth waiting to get a 4th generation and if so, why??

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I currently own a glock 23 and love it. I am wanting to get a sub-compact glock 26 or 27. What I read most like the 26 over the 27 due to less recoil and being less snappy. What is your opinions? Which is most accurate? Would there be a difference shooting 40cal in a 27 vs my 23 as far as recoil, accuracy etc. Thanks. Also is it worth waiting to get a 4th generation and if so, why??
In my opinion, the 40S&W seems to be more inherently accurate than the 9mm...for me. If you're already used to the recoil characteristics of the 40cal, you might do well with the G27. I started full time carry with a G27 myself because I didn't figure I could hide anything larger. I know better now. Comparatively.......I (we) don't have the G26 yet, but I'd be better telling you the difference and my druthers here in a couple of weeks when I can run them side by side. As for waiting on the 4th generation Glocks......I've personally lost nothing on all of my 3rd generation pistols, and want for nothing else. That's just me though, and if you think you might be better off with the newer offerings, I figure the differences in the sub-compact Glocks will see the least amount of possible benefits thereof compared to the larger frame models. At least that's what I think.

·
Registered
11,193 Posts
I have a 9mm G19, so I got a 9mm G26. The G26 can use the G19's mags.

Since you have the .40 already, the G27 probably makes more sense. The smaller pistol might be a bit more snappy, but Glocks tend to tame recoil pretty well. You could convert the G27 to 9mm by changing the barrel, mags, and ejector (IIRC) if you wanted to.

I see no reason to wait for the 4th gen. I like them well enough as is.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have the G27, just because I own other .40 guns.

With the ammo issues today, you might want to stay with as few calibers as possible.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
if you got one 40 cal then i would go with the g27. i got an g27 and g26, so i know both guns. the recoil is really not a factor when it comes down to it. the factor is staying with the same ammo as you other gun.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have owned both, the 27 is very usable, If you can do the 23 , youcan handle the 27, keep it simple. Go with the 27.

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you already have a 40 cal, then go with another 40 cal, so you can change out the mags...

but I shot both the 26, and 27... the 27 was too snappy for me, now my EDC is the glock 26.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the G27, just because I own other .40 guns.

With the ammo issues today, you might want to stay with as few calibers as possible.
Bingo!

G23, G22, G27, ammo compatibility, and magazine compatibility.

Get your 40 family completed, then begin building your 9mm family.

Dirty

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would go G27. My current EDC is a G23 and next on my list is a G27. Same ammo, interchanging magazines, and the Glock reliability...doesn't get much better than that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ammo for the 26 is cheaper. Ammo for the 27 (at least in my area) is easier to find.

Recoil on the 26 is probably easier to manage than on the 27 (I've only shot the 27).

If the Gen 3 doesn't fit your hand extremely well, perhaps the interchangeable backstraps on the Gen 4 will help. Otherwise, I don't see much to get excited about. Now, if the introduction of the Gen 4 will drive down the price of a Gen 3, it might be worth the wait. :image035:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was in your shoes just a couple of weeks ago. The main thing to ask yourself is what you're wanting to get a baby Glock for? Is this for everyday carry? A range gun? Just to have it?

I chose the the 27 over the 26 for the stopping power of the .40 over the 9mm as this is my everyday carry gun. The standard magazine in the 27 carries ONLY 1 less round than the 26. For the bump in stopping power it's well worth losing that one round. Plus you can add the mag extensions to get that round back as well as use the larger .40 Glcok magazines in the 27 as well.

As far as the recoil being snappy, rubbish. I've never shot a .40 or a Glock prior to buying my G27 and the recoil is not that bad at all. Plus the damn thing is stupidly accurate. I key holed every round on the second full magazine.

So, if you're looking for a carry gun, i definitely suggest the G27. Any other reason, go with the G26.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, please keep them coming. Ammo and clips are nto an issue by already having the glock 23. All I own is what came in the box. If I would decide on either the GLock 26 or 27 I would rid of the 23. If this changes opinions give them to me, appreciate the help. This gun is for home potection, occasional range shooting maybe 3 times a year, and I take it with me when I travel fishing different lakes.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Originally, I was concerned about the recoil of the G27 so I purchased a black, G26. Later I test fired a G27 and discovered the recoil was not really an issue so I bought a G27 in OD. I love both and switch off carry between them and a Kel Tec PF9. IMHO, you should choose the G27.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks for the input, please keep them coming. Ammo and clips are nto an issue by already having the glock 23. All I own is what came in the box. If I would decide on either the GLock 26 or 27 I would rid of the 23. If this changes opinions give them to me, appreciate the help. This gun is for home potection, occasional range shooting maybe 3 times a year, and I take it with me when I travel fishing different lakes.
You have the 23 now and love it...you want a 26/27 and plan to get rid of the 23? Based on your statement above, why do you want a smaller gun...you have the ideal size for the purposes you stated, home protection, occasional range time, etc. :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the G27 and as mentioned previously you can change barrels and mags to 9mm. You can also convert your G27 to .357 sig with just the barrel change. Three guns in one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wanted the smaller baby glock for conceal carry and tucking away when I travel etc. I know there is not much difference but the barrell is about 1/2 inch shorter and shorter frame to conceal. Again thanks for all inputs. You guys have me leaning toward the 27 vs 26. I hope the recoil is not disappointing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Not to highjack, but can anyone direct me to a source that defines the various differences in Glock's generations and what the specific changes are? I bought a G27 about nine months ago but have no clue which I have....Great gun though.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
for jkspider

I currently owna glock 23 and love it. I am wanting to get a sub-compact glock 26 or 27. What I read most like the 26 over the 27 due to less recoil and being less snappy. What is your opinions? Which is most accurate? Would there be a difference shooting 40cal in a 27 vs my 23 as far as recoil, accuracy etc. Thanks. Also is it worth waiting to get a 4th generation and if so, why??
I can't answer your 27 v 23 question but I do have a comment on 27 v 26. If recoil is an issue for you, go with the 26. You won't be able to enjoy shooting a gun with a recoil that you can't be comfortable with.

I'm considering going down from a S&W 99c to a similar model in 9 mm precisely because of the recoil issue (well muzzle tilt more than recoil, but my wrists aren't strong enough for the 180 gr .40).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts