Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowing it down a bit today, I wanted to do a little comparative work between my 3 carry autos.

I fired 10 shots each at 20 yards, and fired the chambered round of carry ammo as one of those shots.
The wind was blowing and gusting at times during the shooting.

I fired the G26 and the G19 on the same plate, marking the holes differently so I would know which was which.
After firing, I took the plates and using it as a template, transposed the holes to notebook paper and did a measurement of the farthest holes for each group measuring center to center.

After recording, I then kicked out the farthest shot and measured again.

Of course at 20 yards, and shooting offhand, the results are not scientific by any means. However, it does reflect and confirm what I have already known.

I have long stated that I felt there was really nothing the G19 could do that I couldn’t do with the G26.

And, I fired the largest group with the 1911, however after eliminating the flyers in them both, they were equal in group size at 3.75 inches.
The G26 at 4.25 inches , has the best trigger between it and the G19. It also had the best sights, but that shorter sight radius is hard to overcome....still, it demonstrates to me what I have already long thought.

The 1911’s light weight and 230 weight rounds at 900 fps made it definitely more jumpy in the hand, but was easier to shoot with the trigger. The stock Novak, 3 dot sights were easy to pick up and align.

What this demonstrates, I believe, is that there isn’t a plug nickel worth of accuracy difference, unless you are a machine, but for practical purposes, they all are good in my book.

Heres the targets.
AB142E63-B73A-4872-BA54-73F69805E064.jpeg

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The G19 holes are marked with a slash or line thru the hole. It shoots more to the left.

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This also reflects how individual guns fit different shooters. I've never shot a G26 with the accuracy I desire, I do pretty good with a G19 (mine has an RMR), but I am much more consistent with 9mm and 45 acp 1911s. What a wonderful country where we can find the options that work best for each of us.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Very cool, pretty decent accuracy at 60 feet out of some shorter barrels. When I had a G27, I was impressed with its accuracy, I don't really think the G26/G27 is any less accurate than the G19/G23. To me the 19/23 just are noticeably easier to control for follow up shots, making the string of shots quicker. My Wiley Clapp Commander is my favorite to carry. The slab side is much more comfortable. However, I seem to have the best control with the G19, which makes sense, it is 9mm vs a lightweight .45ACP which has more recoil.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I’d be more than happy to hit the streets with any of the 3 you mentioned, and in fact, all 3, 1911 .45, G26 and G19 are all in my carry rotation. The G26 gets the nod the majority of the time just because it’s so easy to carry. G19 when I might need a WML. 1911 when I’m feeling particularly ornery.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I’d be more than happy to hit the streets with any of the 3 you mentioned, and in fact, all 3, 1911 .45, G26 and G19 are all in my carry rotation. The G26 gets the nod the majority of the time just because it’s so easy to carry. G19 when I might need a WML. 1911 when I’m feeling particularly ornery.
That’s my exact philosophy too, Big Steve, except I reverse the 19 and 26. All 3 are fine weapons, and I wouldn’t want to give up any of them!

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I have long believed that I shoot my Glock 19 the worst of all the guns I've carried simply because of where the palm swell rests in my hand. It acts as a fulcrum point which pulls my shots to the left. It doesn't happen with a 26, which I shoot much more accurately, or a 17, which I also shoot much more accurately.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have long believed that I shoot my Glock 19 the worst of all the guns I've carried simply because of where the palm swell rests in my hand. It acts as a fulcrum point which pulls my shots to the left. It doesn't happen with a 26, which I shoot much more accurately, or a 17, which I also shoot much more accurately.
I think I’ll break out the old G22 and put it in the mix today....if I can find a place in between the rain clouds!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Multiple times I've compared different pistols using carry ammo, a shot timer and 6 inch circles at 6-7 yards away.
I quit doing it, results were consistent over time.
Hitting a 6 inch circle at 6-7 yards away consistently is not hard, until the follow up shots are .33 down to .28 down to .25
Glock 19 is going to win this little contest every time, the time difference may be insignificant, but the 19 always wins.

Reactions: Bad Bob and G-man*

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Gman, what sights do you run on your 26? You indicate the 26 has better sights than your 19.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gman, what sights do you run on your 26? You indicate the 26 has better sights than your 19.
I have a stock factory rear, with an TFO front.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Multiple times I've compared different pistols using carry ammo, a shot timer and 6 inch circles at 6-7 yards away.
I quit doing it, results were consistent over time.
Hitting a 6 inch circle at 6-7 yards away consistently is not hard, until the follow up shots are .33 down to .28 down to .25
Glock 19 is going to win this little contest every time, the time difference may be insignificant, but the 19 always wins.
Ill have to run them head to head in a Wizard Drill several times over the course of a week or so and see if one has a clear advantage.

I hardly even carry the 19 though. It mostly collects dust.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Good shooting and thanks for posting. My 2 main carry guns are a G26 and G23 and am in working in a 40 SW Shield in on occasion. I might try this sometime to see the difference. Some people I talk to do not like the G26 because their pinkie is below the grip but I got in the habit of sticking it under the grip and shoot it better that way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My wife and I have been EDCing Glock 19s and 26s since 2005 when we transitioned to Glocks. In addition to our own observations, we have trained "a few" shooters in both platforms, and ran a weekly defensive pistol league where shooters would come out and run different courses of fire that required them to perform different drills each week.

While the 26 shoots pretty much on par with the 19 - when one starts doing "handling drills" such as - empty reloads, speed reloads, tac reloads, malfunction clearance drills, malfunction clearance drills one handed or support hand only, etc... that is when the 26 "suffers" in comparison. The full size grip of the 19 allows "most" shooters to get three fingers on it, the 26 doesn't (unless one adds an extension, but when the mag with the extension is removed - it is back to a 2 finger grip). The shorter grip on the 26 just makes doing those gun handling drills a little harder - not that they can't be done with practice, but it is harder.

For the last 15 years, my wife had carried the 26 daily, she shoots it exclusively (99.5% of the time). Every time she picks up my 19 and runs some reload drills or malfunction clearance drills with it she comments - "this is where the 19 makes a difference over my 26".

Again, shooting the 26 and 19 - little difference; running and handling the two - yep, a difference.

Just my observation - I own both, and very rarely choose the 26 because of this fact. (I also hate the rear grip hump on 26s, but have that problemed fixed by finding a 26 with a grip reduction/stippling job that really fit my hand perfectly.)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
@Orive 8 You should take a look at the Timberwolf 26 frame from Lone Wolf Distributors.

Correction...Sorry...suffering from lack of coffee. They haven't released the Timberwolf for the 26/27/33 yet. :embarassed: :confused:

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I shoot the 26 and 27 more accurately than the 19 or 23. Not sure why, but it is what it is. I am Colt-less so cannot comment on that one.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
405 Posts
@Orive 8 You should take a look at the Timberwolf 26 frame from Lone Wolf Distributors.

Correction...Sorry...suffering from lack of coffee. They haven't released the Timberwolf for the 26/27/33 yet. :embarassed: :confused:
I have shot a Poly 80 Glock 26 frame gun that a friend put together, and like that frame a lot - no rear grip hump, but it still is a two finger frame. I have now moved on from my Glock 19s and have been using the Shadow Systems MR918. I have two of them (had 3 but sold one off a while ago) and really like this gun, at this point I don't see myself carrying a 19 again, but who knows what the future might bring.... (i.e. Gen 6? :image035:)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I use a G19 Magazine in my G26 when I feel the need for more Capacity. By doing so I have the Concealibility (is that a word?) of a 26, with the firepower of a 19 if needed. Although the little G26 is plenty accurate with my Self Defense ammo, I don't consider pinpoint accuracy a factor in a Defensive carry weapon

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts