Defensive Carry banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I've been carrying a new gun lately with the same capability as the 19, but about 2/3 the size: Glock 43X. With the Shield Arms mags, you get 15+1 (flush fit) and if you add their little extension kit, you get 20+1.

The 15+1 setup fills the hand much better than the 26/27/33 (I get 4 fingers on the grip), it's slimmer, lighter, and thinner.

Everytime I have this thing out of the holster, I think "snub-nose Glock". It just works.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Ill have to run them head to head in a Wizard Drill several times over the course of a week or so and see if one has a clear advantage.

I hardly even carry the 19 though. It mostly collects dust.
Move the rear sight a bit to the right, correct POI on the 19 first, make it fair. :hand9:

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Move the rear sight a bit to the right, correct POI on the 19 first, make it fair. :hand9:
The POI, is not really a factor here because I’m measuring group size.

However, I have a set of new OEM steel sights on order, which I will zero for the proper poa/poi.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My wife and I have been EDCing Glock 19s and 26s since 2005 when we transitioned to Glocks. In addition to our own observations, we have trained "a few" shooters in both platforms, and ran a weekly defensive pistol league where shooters would come out and run different courses of fire that required them to perform different drills each week.

While the 26 shoots pretty much on par with the 19 - when one starts doing "handling drills" such as - empty reloads, speed reloads, tac reloads, malfunction clearance drills, malfunction clearance drills one handed or support hand only, etc... that is when the 26 "suffers" in comparison. The full size grip of the 19 allows "most" shooters to get three fingers on it, the 26 doesn't (unless one adds an extension, but when the mag with the extension is removed - it is back to a 2 finger grip). The shorter grip on the 26 just makes doing those gun handling drills a little harder - not that they can't be done with practice, but it is harder.

For the last 15 years, my wife had carried the 26 daily, she shoots it exclusively (99.5% of the time). Every time she picks up my 19 and runs some reload drills or malfunction clearance drills with it she comments - "this is where the 19 makes a difference over my 26".

Again, shooting the 26 and 19 - little difference; running and handling the two - yep, a difference.

Just my observation - I own both, and very rarely choose the 26 because of this fact. (I also hate the rear grip hump on 26s, but have that problemed fixed by finding a 26 with a grip reduction/stippling job that really fit my hand perfectly.)
Because of the reloading drills, is why I change the grip module to the XL on a Sig 365, I don't have big hands but have to keep the pinkie out of the way to avoid pinching it, while inserting a new mag in a hurry, the, Walther PPS, SA XDs and the G-26/27 has the same issue as you stated, I need all my fingers on the grip.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I shoot the 26 and 27 more accurately than the 19 or 23. Not sure why, but it is what it is. I am Colt-less so cannot comment on that one.
I shoot short distant, (front sight to rear sight) much better, specially now with aging eyes, less chance of been off the sight picture, I suppose.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Because of the reloading drills, is why I change the grip module to the XL on a Sig 365, I don't have big hands but have to keep the pinkie out of the way to avoid pinching it, while inserting a new mag in a hurry, the, Walther PPS, SA XDs and the G-26/27 has the same issue as you stated, I need all my fingers on the grip.
I do not practice reloads, especially with guns that hold 10 rounds or more. Also, pinching is not an issue for my hand and the G26, because in the unlikely event 10 didn’t work, my spare mag is going to be a 15 or 17 shot that protrudes far enough from the bottom of the mag well that pinching would be impossible.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Shooting for group might be considered slower shooting ? Considering these pistol in your test are carry guns the mozambique drill on several targets with timer running might be a better test of bopth handgun and shooter skills . Since hands are rather different some practice time with each before running the drill specially with the 1911 my be helpful with end results .

You say you do not run mag change drills .Ok how about tap rap bang drills . To much not so great ammo out there to not run this drill occasionally .

I tend to carry a p320c 40sw as my primary carry but a 1911 also gets some carry time occasionally so I step out to my range and run a normal change of CC drill just to see how times run and bullet impacts for first round fired and two taps on several smaller steels . Give the bore & breach area a quick wipe down and carry on if shooting is normal .

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Shooting for group might be considered slower shooting ? Considering these pistol in your test are carry guns the mozambique drill on several targets with timer running might be a better test of bopth handgun and shooter skills . Since hands are rather different some practice time with each before running the drill specially with the 1911 my be helpful with end results .

You say you do not run mag change drills .Ok how about tap rap bang drills . To much not so great ammo out there to not run this drill occasionally .

I tend to carry a p320c 40sw as my primary carry but a 1911 also gets some carry time occasionally so I step out to my range and run a normal change of CC drill just to see how times run and bullet impacts for first round fired and two taps on several smaller steels . Give the bore & breach area a quick wipe down and carry on if shooting is normal .
Yes, shooting for groups is a slow fire exercise and that’s all they are intended to be. A simple, non combat test of the guns to satisfy a curiosity as to their individual accuracy potential. Certainly not a definitive test by any means.

I run all of these guns multiple times, weekly, doing drills such as the Wizard, 5x5, and others. The Mozambique Drill is a good drill, but if one can pass any of the two mentioned here, then the Mozambique Drill is a given.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts