Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed it down to these 2. I like the size. I have small hands and they just fit. I'm looking for opinions on which? There is a gen 3 26 local to me for 430 used. Comes with box and 2 mags. There is a gen 3 27 also local but at a different store for 350 with 1 mag and no box. G27 has night sights that look old and g26 has oe glock sights. G27 looks like it's seen a little more use than the 26, looks more like it was carried more. The fact that it's a 40, with night sights makes me think it's a former LEO gun of some sort but idk and the shop owner doesn't either. Just how much different is the recoil on the 27 vs 26? Is it unmanageable? What's the better deal? I can probably talk the g27 down a hair but I don't think the guy with the g26 will budge on price at all.

·
Registered
20,116 Posts
I've narrowed it down to these 2. I like the size. I have small hands and they just fit. I'm looking for opinions on which? There is a gen 3 26 local to me for 430 used. Comes with box and 2 mags. There is a gen 3 27 also local but at a different store for 350 with 1 mag and no box. G27 has night sights that look old and g26 has oe glock sights. G27 looks like it's seen a little more use than the 26, looks more like it was carried more. The fact that it's a 40, with night sights makes me think it's a former LEO gun of some sort but idk and the shop owner doesn't either. Just how much different is the recoil on the 27 vs 26? Is it unmanageable? What's the better deal? I can probably talk the g27 down a hair but I don't think the guy with the g26 will budge on price at all.
Thats up to you.
Whats your shooting experience? Is it going to be your only gun? Will you carry it as a hiking gun where there may be 4 legged threats?
Is a few more $$ a box of ammo difference a deal breaker?

The more detail you provide, the better we can advise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats up to you.
Whats your shooting experience? Is it going to be your only gun? Will you carry it as a hiking gun where there may be 4 legged threats?
Is a few more $$ a box of ammo difference a deal breaker?

The more detail you provide, the better we can advise.
Sorry for not providing more. I havent shot a lot of handguns over the years but I have shot 9mm, 357 mag, 44 mag, 45. So my experience isn't great. But I do know my way around a gun. I haven't shot a 40 and don't have the option to. I don't know anyone with a 40 and there's no ranges to shoot anything around me. The 40 interests me as it is a more powerful caliber. Seems when the bullets impact objects they tend to transfer more energy to them (metal targets etc). It will be my only gun for now. No one can stop at one lol. I will have it in the woods with me. I don't do much hiking but this summer there will be some camping trips in the Adirondacks. A few more dollars for some ammo isn't a huge deal breaker. I was considering a glock 29sf as I found one for 495 used with 2 mags and box. Seemed like a decent deal for a very powerful round

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
I'll admit that I haven't shot a G27 (subcompact 40), but I have a G23 (compact 40) and have fired a G19 (compact 9mm) and G27 (subcompact 9mm). I was worried about recoil in the G23, but found it to be quite manageable, not that much worse than the G19. I guess the shorter grip on the G27 might make it more of a problem, but comparing the G19 to the G26, there didn't seem to be much difference at all, to me. If it turns out you need to get a pinky on the gun, you could always buy a baseplate for the mag that adds a little length.

It would really help for you to be able to try one, but if you can't, I guess I'd say generally that the recoil of 40 feels about the same as 45 - more than 9mm, not nearly as heavy as 357 Magnum and certainly not as heavy as 44 Magnum. If you can handle the magnums, I really doubt you'd have a problem with a G27. Still, the G26 will have less recoil, and is a perfectly decent defensive gun.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have personally owned both and still own the 26. I prefer the 26 over the 27. Both are manageable to shoot but if you don't have a ton of pistol experience I would go with the 9mm. You can buy cheaper ammo and afford to shoot it more often. It also has lighter recoil than the 40. Both are great guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
IMO the 27 doesn't kick that bad with standard 180 gr. ammo (Gold Dot, HST).
The 26 does kick less.
Glock 26:
Golden Saber 124 gr. +P @ 1,118 fps / 344# KE / PF 139
Ranger T 127 gr. +P+ @ 1,176 fps / 390# KE / PF 149
Glock 27:
Federal Hydra-Shok 180 gr. @ 940 fps / 353# KE / PF 169
Remington Golden Saber 165 gr. @ 1,028 fps / 387# KE / PF 170
Golden Saber VS Golden Saber 40 has 18% more calculated recoil.
One round difference is a small penalty between the 26 and 27.

In before anyone posted they perform "about the same" :danceban:

Reactions: G-man* and Eric357

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I have the 27 and love it. I have shot the 26 and it is a little less snappy. Controlled shooting either is just as accurate in my hands. If I did not have a ton of 40 ammo, I'd probably have a 26 instead of the 27. Having said that an acquaintance offered me a price for my 27 and all the HP ammo I have. I'm seriously thinking about doing that and going all 9mm and 45 ACP.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I keep watching this video as it gives a good comparison and its clear the 26 kicks less but he does a really good job of controlling the 27. Looks like it kicks more but doesn't really change anything for him. Also if you watch the metal tree targets for each gun the 40 definitely throws them around a lot easier. I know Hickok has a ton of experience and especially with the 40 as he always says hes involved in LE.
https://youtu.be/3wHUEwWmklE

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Either is a good choice! Being that it is also going to be a woods gun, I would lean towards the .40 which is much better on 4 legged predators than a 9mm. The .40 can be a bit snappy in a sub-compact so you may want try one out before purchasing. Just to muddy the waters a bit you could get a brand new S&W M&P Shield in 9mm, .40, or .45acp for the same money and it has better out of the box sights IMO. Good luck!

Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
10,762 Posts
I've owned both and prefer the 26. Less recoil, more ammo capacity, cheaper ammo. Shot placement is everything.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
G26 then save your money for better sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is it worth considering a new m&p shield 45 for 455? I haven't really considered 45 acp because it is the most expensive.

If you are considering an M&P shield 45, why not get the M&Pc .40 NIB for about $400? More firepower than a 9mm, but more rounds than the shield at roughly the same size. A shield 45 will have a good deal more recoil as well.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I keep coming back to the m&p 9c too. Can't decide on that over the g26
9mm ammo is plentiful, is cheaper than .45 or .40 ammo, and is pretty dang powerful with the new ballistic technology. As I suggested before, I would go NIB M&Pc 9mm for about $400. Thats a great deal, great gun and its brand spankin new. JMHO *shrugs*

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I carried a Glock 23 for years (over a decade) and have shot the 27 several times (buddy has one). Tundra used exactly the right word in describing the recoil of the 40 as snappy. As I got older (and weaker due to medical situation) I found myself much better with the 9mm (have 26 and 19) on followup shots.

Totally personal preference. DO NOT decide till you have shot both.

As to the 45, it has less felt recoil than the 40. It's that "snappyness" or whatever you want to call it that comes with the 40. Shoot a 40 and you will know what I mean. 27 might be the perfect weapon for you. Shoot both.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts