Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 1911 has been left at home lately due to back problems. Currently I been carrying my LCP but I feel "out gunned" with it alone.

I'm thinking of purchasing a used 27 with night sights for about $400. I currently do not have any 40 S&W ammo in my collection. I really like the 36 but that'll be almost $175.00 more then this used 27.

I do like the idea of being able to use a conversion barrel on the 27 to be able to shoot 357 Sig or 9mm.

Years ago I had an XD 40 Service Model so I'm accustomed to the 40 S&W "Muzzle Snap".

What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just purchased a G27 last week! It's a dream to shoot. Very easy to shoot accurately and precisely. Highly reccomend one! I've yet to shoot a G36 so i really couldn't help ya there but I hear nothing but good things about them.... it is a Glock afterall. I prefer the G27 simply cuz it packs lots of power in the smallest frame Glock has to offer which i find important cuz it's my CC. If .45 GAP ammo wasn't so hard to find and expensive I would have most likely gone with the G39... that might be my next purchase:image035:

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I have the Glock-36 for my EDC and I absolutely love the gun. I is a great shooter, easy to conceal...and plenty of firepower.
It has taken the place of my two Kimbers...did I really say that?:gah::gah:

·
Registered
601 Posts
The G36 is an illegitimate love-child of an Officer's size 1911 and a Glock. I carry one as my EDC. It fits my hand a lot better than the 26 or 27.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
How much 40S&W ammo would $175 dollars buy you right now? Range and carry ammo. The G27 is a most wonderful piece. It was my first EDC pistol and now it's my wife's. Love the 40 caliber and the apparently inherent accuracy of the cartridge, and the baby Glock seems to peak with it. I've never tried the G36, and maybe since the G21/G30 didn't seem to be my optimum for carry...maybe I should have by now. I firmly believe there's a reason for everything, and my list of wants is long. So.......you don't have any 40S&W ammo currently........you're pretty much a 45 guy, but no stranger to the 40. Magazine capacity shouldn't be an issue for you since you've obviously been carrying the 1911 (which I'm assuming is single stack 7-8 rounds). Correct me if I'm wrong.
The G27 for $400 used w/NS is a steal no matter what in my book. Extra mags for the G36 may be harder to find that the others, and holsters....? But you already have the ammo. In reality it appears to be a toss up. Let's spin the Glock wheel of fortune shall we?

Okay...it's not spinning. My bad. Tell you what.......I'm just going to have to predict it for you. Just a minute............hang on............it's coming............hang on...................got your favorite bingo card handy? G36 is what I see in your future. It may be after your G27, but it's coming. Wishing you the best in anything you do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shot my brand new Glock 27 today. I loved every minute of the 150 rounds I put threw it. I also found that the factory magazines aren't nearly as uncomfortable as I thought they would be. With the pinky hanging off I shot just as well as with the G23 mag in with a full grip. Definitely my new favorite, and for 400 that would be hard to pass up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've loved my 27 as well. Almost sold my 23 due to the 27 being more enjoyable to shoot than I had expected. In the end I kept both, but shooting the baby glocks is far more enjoyable than I ever expected. In my neck of the woods .40 is easy to come by so the 27 would be my choice. Guess it depends on ammo in your neck of the woods. The extra money would get me almost 12 boxes of federal .40 FMJ at wally so that would be icing on the cake for me.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I just picked up a used G-36... you should shoot both before you decide! :wink:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I had a 36. It is a very accurate weapon. For most situations 6+1 and a spare mag or two should suffice. I prefer to carry my 27, 9+1 and one 13 round spare mag puts me ahead of the 36 in capacity.

I vote for the 27.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I carried a 27 for 8 years before switching to the 19. I still think very highly of the 27. $400 with nightsites? Buy it. If you don't like it, you'll get all your money back reselling it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I LOVE my G27. Not a single ftf or fte. Forget about what everyone says about snappy recoil, you will not notice it. As far as a G36, well, I'm in the market for one of those too!!! Both are excellent guns in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Get the G27 ...I recently bought a G26 and it has become my favorite EDC very quickly.... Get some GAP floorplates for the mags. CDNN has Glock factory mags for $19.99 right now... Sounds like a great deal..

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had a 27...for me, too snappy and hard to hold onto with even the pearce extensions.....just me I suppose as others like ti a lot...I have a 26 and love it, more manageable for me.....I am going to get a 36 as it fit my hand wonderfully...BUT for that price, you cannot go wrong with the 27.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
both are good guns. you can not go wrong with either. i carry my g27 more than i do my g36. don't know why, just do.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Another vote for the G27. Thhheeeerrrreee Ggggrrreeaaattt.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow!!! That's a tough call.....two of my favorite guns. I own both, and wouldn't want to part with either. If I had to choose which one I liked best, the edge would go to the G36. Longer, thinner grip makes the difference for me.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
The G27 would be my pick Do to the ammo in .40 seems to be everywere !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
g27 owner here. used to own the g36. the 36 just seemed to be too much of a hand cannon for me, but really it was accurate and if you wanted to stay in with the same ammo as your 1911s...

my g27 is fantastic in accuracy. did 250 rds at the range two days ago, have probably done 500 rds in the couple years i've owned it. (and yes, 250 rounds in one sitting. and yes, you CAN actually find 40 ammo!! EVERYWHERE!) I'm not sure what people are talking about with the '40 snap', i find recoil to be pretty minimal and target reacquisition to be optimal as well.

I did get a couple ftf (first time ever in the three glock's i've owned) but again it was after about 150 rds and it was getting dirty, plus i was using different brands etc (kind of testing out some hd ammo and had some odds and ends fmj to burn)

there is a reason that you see so many g27 carriers here! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going with the 27. Hopefully get it in the next day or two. Since I'm having back problems I wont be able to shoot it until I get better. But that gives me something to look forward too. :danceban:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts