Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recent events I am looking to maximize my round count for my EDC. Since I live in NY I am limited to 10-round magazines therefore I always felt that carrying a single stack would be the best option. Why carry a medium sized pistol like the Glock 19 or XDm if had to carry neutered mags instead the 15 round mags designed for them? Waste of space, right? For my nightstand I have a S&W SD40VE but over a third of the magazine is empty!

While I will still keep my Kahr CM9 with 6+1 for pocket carry I been looking at the Glock 27 for IWB.
Things I like about it:
Reputation and reliability.
It is a fairly small frame that still fits 9+1.
There are tons of aftermarket parts (sights, lasers, holsters).
The Gen 4 look more comfortable with finger grooves and adjustable backstraps.
And the big plus...easy conversion to 9mm, .357 Sig and even .22LR! I mean this is probably the biggest advantage here for several reasons. Here in NY, where every handgun is registered (won't go into it), being able to easily to caliber would save a huge hassle and waiting period of going to the county permit office.

However, during research I see that the M&P 40c can do many of these same things. Because its tough around here to actually get hands on time with pistols I thought that I would ask for comments here. There are no stores or ranges that I know near me of that are allowed to rent pistols and many LGS won't even let you dryfire their pistols! So are there any major differences in triggers? Recoil? Size?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Anthony,
I always found the M&P more comfortable to shoot plus it fit my hand better. Glocks are fantastic weapons but I have never had one that fit my grip, no matter what model, I always had some type of ergonomic problem. I also liked the gen 3 better than the gen 4, just personal preference. I never had any reliability issues with multiple M&P's or Glocks that I had owned. My preference was definitely the M&P40c.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Don't let mag capacity laws limit you. If you'd like a full grip on the gun, then get one. Instead of carrying one spare mag, carry two. You'll have more ammo, and you can stick it to Cuomo.

Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Both are fine guns, if you toss a coin and pick one you won't go wrong.

Having said that, for a pocket .40 I would personally pick the M&P40c. The M&P line was designed from the ground up to fire .40, while Glock started as a 9mm pistol. This causes the M&P to be slightly beefier and heavier to handle the more powerful .40, which helps a little in controllability. As a bonus the standard mag carries 10 rounds. If you want a full grip just put the pinky extension on.

Glock trigger is better, but M&P's is usable. With an Apex spring kit the M&P trigger becomes better than stock Glock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I haven't shot a baby Glock since they first came out in 95 or 96, but I do have plenty of recent trigger time on the 9c. Either is great, the m&p shoot like a laser for me. The newest ones do not seem to need the apex as badly as the older iterations.
But for pure awesome a g27 with an rmr is nearly impossible to beat. Add a 357 sig barrel and you can really each out.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I would not want to carry a 19/23 ect... with a magazine arbitrarily & artificially restricted to 10 rounds either.
If I had to live in a place with that asinine and ineffective magazine capacity restriction my picks would be:
-Glock 30 SF: if limited to 10 rounds make them big. (My #1 pick and what I carry anyway in a place with freedom)
-Glock 29 SF: if limited to 10 rounds, 10mm.
-Glock 26: 10 rounds of 9mm in a pistol designed for 10 rounds
-Glock 27: 9 rounds of 40 for those that think bigger is better (compared to the 26)
-Glock 33: 9 rounds of 357 Sig for those that think increasing KE matters (compared to Glock 26/27)
-1911 in 45 acp (now my list has a non-Glock) This pistol was designed for a 7/8 round magazine anyway and big bullets + hand filling grip.

Reactions: bigpapa and Pittpa

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am a partial to the M&P40c since it is my EDC. I have a Crimson Trace Laser Grip because my eyesight is not what it used to be and the laser makes for very quick target acquisition in low light.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am not a hig fan of sub compacts and pocket guns since I cannot get a full grip. Something just does not feel right wirth the pinky not on my grip. If you shoot subs and pocket guns well, either one will work fine. If magazine limits are the only issue, I would look at single stack compacts for ease of shooting.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had the 9c.
It was almost as big as the glock 19.
+1 for the glock 27....if you want to go 40smith.

Why not just a glock 26, to go along with your 19?

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I would second the G-26, most people tend to shoot the G-26 better than the G-27, an added bonus is ammo is somewhat cheaper!

·
Registered
269 Posts
both great guns , get a magguts assembly and you get 9+1 with a shield (can't change caliber though) if you really want to carry lighter.
plus getting that 10th round into a glock mag always seems to be a pipe dream.
I was actually on the range yesterday and between us we had
Shield 9
M&P 9c
FS M&P .40 (with a conversion barrel)
Glock 26
Glock G34
I found the 26 and the 9C both shot very similar, and comparatively very similar in size,
the G26 is a little smaller but with the pinky extension on the mag (on both) pretty much the same size.
The Grip angle was a little different, but on guns that small, not that much.
the Glock feels a little "blockier" , but that was about it.
I found it interesting that the Shield shot just as well, I had the trigger done, ameriglow sights put on
and a pachmyr sleeve on the grip. It feels very much like a single stack version of the 9C
I would take either the 9C or the G26 (I own the Shield and the FS. 40).
I have been on the fence about going to a C from the shield but being in Mass, for one round
I don't think I can bothered, the Shield is definitely lighter and easier to conceal than the 9C or the G26,
and since they shot so similar ?
If I lived in a free state the decision would be a bit tougher, throw a Springfield XDM in the talks as well,
but I'm stuck with 10 round mags unless they are preban so Glock is the only winner there, but you
still have to be able to fined them :icon_neutral:
G34 at 100 feet was a tack driver :image035:

·
Registered
401 Posts
I also currently live in a corrupt state (Kalifornia...don't get me started), and recently picked up a G30SF. It is big and blocky, but hey, I've got 10 rds of heavy in the mag, instead of 7 or 9 in my XDs. The problem is that it is a bit harder to conceal. I've lost 40+ pounds in the past 6 months, and haven't replaced all of my clothes yet, so I do ok with my older, larger size clothing. That said, I have a g19 on the way, which is nearly the same height and length but narrow enough to call it a significant difference. I also have picked up a couple mags for my g17 that I leave with my son who lives in a different state, so I can take it and shoot it the way it was meant to be shot when I go visit him. I'll be doing the same with the 19...and, I can use the higher cap guns/mags when I can finally leave what is rapidly becoming a cesspool of a state.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
M&P for me...:smile:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I have a Ruger SR40C. It comes with 3 - 10 round magazines in states with mag restrictions. Excellent stock trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: subhuman

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Glock is lighter, thinner, and has a better trigger (IMO). Both are exceptional. And I have carried both for at least 8 months each as a primary EDC (at different times). The M&P handles the recoil better, has a longer barrel, and is better looking.

I just shoot the Glocks better (I'm a weirdo and LIKE the so called odd grip angle).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts